Another Bimmer - Reeno's 335i - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 17th March 2014, 15:07 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 57' E92 M3
Another Bimmer - Reeno's 335i

After a good few months of searching I finally found an example at the price & mileage I had in mind. The car is currently at 29k with two previous owners and a FBMWSH.

The main reason behind the switch from my FN2 was daily commuting, my current job sees me using the A14 to travel into Cambridge city center which works out as ~5 hours in stop-start traffic per week, as most of you will know the vtec unit & gearbox is a chore to drive in traffic where your jumping between a 2mph crawl and 40mph. In terms of ride comfort at consistent speeds over 50mph i've never has a problem with the stiff suspension, but in above mentioned condition's I couldn't justify keeping it as my only car when 90% of the time I'm not even able to drive it as it should be.

As for my choice of a 3-series, I wanted a car that was still driver focused but had the trade-off of comfort in commuter traffic, the ride & torque from the twin-turbo N54 engine achieves this nicely. This being my first FI car the best way i'd describe it would be as if vtec engaged from 1300rpm. My only initial gripes with the car was the throw distance between first and second (The FN2's shifter throw is significantly better) and the feel of the clutch pedal. BMW added whats known as a "clutch delay valve" in attempt to make the car idiot-proof from stalling, but this trade-off has resulted in the exact biting point of the pedal being a bit woolly. After two months of ownership i've grown used to the feel of these controls & wouldn't consider them issues anymore.

All in all there both great cars that achieve different goals, the FN2 is a hot hatch that delivers a raw driving experience while the E92 is more of a GT car that acts as a compromise between entertainment & comfort.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 17th March 2014, 15:30
more torque than the mrs

Car: 2008 2.2 type s gt blusilver
Thanked 1,797 Times in 1,567 Posts
Garage
looks very nice
Thanks to deni.babe from:
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 17th March 2014, 15:33
Banned

Thanked 1,378 Times in 1,315 Posts
Very nice, massive step up from the fn2
Thanks to Aqib from:

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 17th March 2014, 15:35
Supporter

That looks really smart mate, nice purchase!
Thanks to scottyr from:
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 17th March 2014, 16:04 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

The first mod I did was replace the stock yellow side light bulb with white LED's for the white halo effect

As my car is a pre-facelift the post 11' and F series BMW's actually use xenon ring bulbs which give off a very strong glow in all conditions, the ones on my car are just glass rings with light projected through them so not as bold during the day.

As far as ownership costs go i'm currently on a £350 a year BMW warrenty which covers pretty much anything expensive, mainly turbo insurance, this does jump to the £800+ mark for cars over 60,000 miles. with the same commute conditions and driving style (heavy right foot) i'm averaging 26 MPG which works out to £7 extra a week in petrol which is pretty reasonable going from a 4 cylinder to a FI 6 cylinder, on the motorway at 70 on cruise ive managed 35.

Last edited by Reeno; 17th March 2014 at 17:18.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 17th March 2014, 21:06
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR GT
Would love to own a 335i. It's a perfect balance between being driver focused and being luxurious. The FN2 i imagine only does 1 thing better which is being more fun to drive if you drive it like you stole it. Did you buy approved used mate as they normally come with a 2yr BMW warranty?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 17th March 2014, 22:19 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden8701 View Post
Would love to own a 335i. It's a perfect balance between being driver focused and being luxurious. The FN2 i imagine only does 1 thing better which is being more fun to drive if you drive it like you stole it. Did you buy approved used mate as they normally come with a 2yr BMW warranty?
Hey Forbidden, yea the FN2 gave much more external feedback in terms of sound and road feel in the cabin, the 335i certainly feels alot more more reserved in that regard, from what i've read the M3 behaves and has a similar high revving temperament to the FN2 but with it's V8 & 3-series underpinnings.

In regards to the warrenty I bought mine from an independant dealer, after watching the prices of AUC's and independant / private cars BMW charge a significant premium over the latter which for my budget I couldnt jusfity. Being under 30,000 with an annual milage of under 10k I've got 3 years of the cheap warrenty at least before it ramps up, but i've got a pot on the side for these costs.

Last edited by Reeno; 17th March 2014 at 22:27.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 17th March 2014, 23:17
Go Hard or Go Home!

Car: BMW 335i M Sport
Good choice on model and colour buddy, enjoy!
Thanks to civi08 from:
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 17th March 2014, 23:31
Keep On Vtec'ing!

Car: 2009 Renault Megane Coupé
Eco display
wow lovely colour mate very envious!
Thanks to snoopy from:
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 18th March 2014, 00:51
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR GT
Nicely debadged too for a sleeper look

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Thanks to Forbidden8701 from:
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 18th March 2014, 13:29
where are the pies??

Car: 14 BMW 116i Sport
very nice car, dude.

never know about the Clutch Delay Valve. i found it so easy to get/hold the biting point in my F20 than the Civic.
Thanks to leunger from:
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 18th March 2014, 13:36
Supporter

Car: 09 Suzuki Swift Sport white
Thanked 2,783 Times in 2,531 Posts
Nice! Im sure I read you can remove the valve?

Sent from my GT-I9205 using Tapatalk
Thanks to coste1l from:
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 18th March 2014, 14:10 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by coste1l View Post
Nice! Im sure I read you can remove the valve?

Sent from my GT-I9205 using Tapatalk
Yea it's just a part at the top of the pedal,

For the first few days it felt strange but i've grown used to it well enough to feel the contact point now. Was ok with it on the test drive as I wasn't intending to remove it out of paranoia of the warranty being invalid if they stumbled across it but if I was going warranty free i'd certainly remove it to improve the pedal feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leunger
never know about the Clutch Delay Valve. i found it so easy to get/hold the biting point in my F20 than the Civic.
This is probably a combination of BMW improving on the design of the valve on F series cars and me getting used to the clutch of a new, more reserved car.

Last edited by Reeno; 18th March 2014 at 15:16.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 18th March 2014, 14:47
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeno View Post
The first mod I did was replace the stock yellow side light bulb with white LED's for the white halo effect

As my car is a pre-facelift the post 11' and F series BMW's actually use xenon ring bulbs which give off a very strong glow in all conditions, the ones on my car are just glass rings with light projected through them so not as bold during the day.

As far as ownership costs go i'm currently on a £350 a year BMW warrenty which covers pretty much anything expensive, mainly turbo insurance, this does jump to the £800+ mark for cars over 60,000 miles. with the same commute conditions and driving style (heavy right foot) i'm averaging 26 MPG which works out to £7 extra a week in petrol which is pretty reasonable going from a 4 cylinder to a FI 6 cylinder, on the motorway at 70 on cruise ive managed 35.
Hi buddy, I recently changed from a type r to BMW 330D (10 plate) although mines the E90 Auto step tronic as the majority of my driving is now motorway & have a little one so the extra doors are so much better for me.

Felt exactly the same as you and I'm a lot more comfortable driving this at distance. The only down side is that it doesn't actually feel like driving, as it so quiet on the motorway in comparision to the Type R, not a bad thing when you are on calls though.

Had mine 3 weeks & still really pleased with it & despite lots of claims that the type r is pretty much an even match for mine performance wise. My friend has a type r (fn2) and he just can't stay close, although I'm not completely convinced mine hasn't been mapped.

I'm really interested in this mod you've mention but struggling to find bulbs that don't produce a error code. So any help you can provide would be great.

Also I know to replace them you have to remove the front arches which to be honest I don't fancy that, so by interest do you do that or pay a garage to do it?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 18th March 2014, 20:33 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Hey Adam, the E92/3 engine bay actually has two compartments where you can access the front light clusters without having to raise for access to the front arches, I think it's only the saloon & estate shapes that need arch access -

I've PM'd you further details.
Thanks to Reeno from:
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 18th March 2014, 20:51
Supporter

Thanks mate. Mines the e90 so saloon. Only way is through arches : (
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2014, 07:08

Just came across this thread. We've had a e90 335 in the family along side out 2.2 Civic for 3 years.

I use to have a DC2 Integra R, and than 350Z. As much as I hate to say it the 335i is by car the best all round car I've owned/driven. It makes the Z feel bloated/under powered, and makes the DC2 feel too compromised for daily use...

A word of warning about modding the 335 though,..it's endless and far too addictive.

I changed my angle eyes a while a go, the install is not hard at all, took me 1 hr in all, mine a while ago with some LED bulbs. Am quite happy with them though, definitely a better look compared to yellow OEM bulbs.

Ive also done things like upgrade the sat Nav from the old CCC unit to the new CIC

Went from this..

To this...

[img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/

But those are all just minor mods really, the main costs has been the suspension and powertrain.

Now running, AFE sealed intake, AR catted downpipes, and Forge intercooler, Procede tune with boost limit set a 14 PSI, Tesco super unleaded (99Ron), about 29 degrees ambient temp, the car made 380 bhp and 390 lbs at the crank.

Was quite happy they dyno bit it was only later on at home I realised the shape of the power curve was very odd...it suggest all the power arrives in one chunk which is not the case from daily driving.

Just to reassure my self, had another look at my logged runs, and am pretty sure the guy doing the dyno must have had wheel spin at 3000-4000 rpm, since on my logged runs by 4000 rpm the boost is already nearly at 14 psi!! Looking at other 335i dynos graphs it appears maximum torque is usually around 4000 rpm, wheres on my dyno graph at 4000 rpm the car is making hardly any torque/power, so wheel spin seems like the most feasible explanation . So I guess the ture maximum torque is probably over 400 ft-ibs!! and BHP must be close to 400!!:scare:

All the power is ofcourse pointless without control...so also have added

Quaife LSD
Bird B3 suspension kit
Ebiach Antiroll bars
EBC yellowstuff pads
M3 subframe bushes.

I've now finally finished modding the 335 (no money spent on mods in the last 6 months). The car handles as well as my only DC2 Teg, and is just as quick as an E90 M3 in a straight line

As I said the 335 is by far the best car I've owned....but it is not reliable, have spent nearly £2k on repairs (water pump, fuel pump, coils, autobox transmissions leak) this year. Also don't get your OBD port secured...Google BMW theft OBD and your see what am talking about.

But enjoy your 335s!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 5th May 2014, 15:19 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Aye the N54 engine is a great platform for remapping gains, as for the OBD i'm probably just gonna relocate it behind the dash and fit a blank in at some point.

Civinfo > Off topic > Non Hondas > Non Honda gallery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page