Warning ! - Civinfo
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 6th November 2018, 14:58 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, Audi TT 190
Warning !

....... to all contemplating a move away from the good old trusty Honda brand.

Namely, after 6 months of pretty uneventful motoring with the Audi I took on, yesterday the steering decided to leave its fluid in an enormous pool in Aldi car park.

With the car back home soon found a pin hole in the HP hose/line from pump to rack.

Ok, not to be too harsh to the car with 110k miles/ on '06. What was a bit harsh is the 340 quid wanted by Audi for another.

Oh well, The pipe and a re-con pump plus oil together came to around the 450 mark.

Looked on google for price of a civic pipe and then realised they're electric

With our civic on similar mileage, (so far) never had to spend anything like that on any single items. Long may Honda continue building cars we can run without breaking the bank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 6th November 2018, 15:12
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
My Sister and brother in law are Audi fanatics, Current car 62 plate S4. Bought it from Howdey Dundee. within 2 weeks it needed an idler for the timing belt. At least it was still under warranty. Day after they got it back, oil on their driveway, back it went again to Howdey to be redone again. Their previous A4 was a 2.7, water got into the Airbag module, 500 for the module, another 200 for the coding and fitting. Their previous A4 was a 2.0 petrol, he used to carry spare Coil packs as they failed very regularly. BTW best hope your power steering on your civic deosnt fails its 1600 from 'Onda, and its a drop the subframe job as well.
TBH my previous car a Vectra C was as reliable a car as Ive ever owned, but it was a petrol and not the rubbish Fiat Diesel.
cb550 likes this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 6th November 2018, 16:06 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Fingers crossed for the civic and the audi (hands washed clean now after spending morning pulling the pump and the pipe off the car-and no mean feat!)

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 6th November 2018, 16:17
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,423 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
All German brands reliability has nosedived of late.
scaramanga and Wilmo like this.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 6th November 2018, 16:27
Das
i-Vtec

Garage
@cb550 just for a laugh you should find your local Pirtek dealer and nip down with the old hose and ask them how much it would cost for them to make one for you.
scaramanga and Higgo8 like this.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 6th November 2018, 17:38
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
I like audis and almost bought 1 a couple of years ago
but
a couple of lads who run a garage in a unit next to where my mate has his business absolutely love them
not to own just for the major engine and gearbox repairs they have had in
I needed a full new engine as it blew itself to bits that much nothing was useable and it wasn't a abused boy racer car either
cb550 likes this.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 6th November 2018, 17:55 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das View Post
@cb550 just for a laugh you should find your local Pirtek dealer and nip down with the old hose and ask them how much it would cost for them to make one for you.
Many moons ago (many) I did the very same thing when the Tipo I ran blew its HP pipe. Cost to replace oem I seem to remember was seriously expensive so had Pirtek (or similar) make up an alternative using braided/reinforced pipe. The fittings orientation had to be right or the banjo ends could'nt align up to the pump/rack.

The Audi design, mostly steel pipe, runs backward and forward on itself, eventually with a rubber pipe to one end. I understand the reasoning for all this is to cause the fluid to be cooled during operation.

If the access to the rack and also the pump were not so tight, leaving virtually no room for any manouvering, plus the cooling, I would have considered going the above route. (certainly a great suggestion !)
Das likes this.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 6th November 2018, 17:58
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Garage
The trouble with German cars was that we accountants got in on the act and told the engineers to cut costs.
Check out the issues with can chains in VW Polos for a prime example.
It has proved to be a false economy since the warranty and bad press has damaged their reputation but kept garages in business fixing them
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 6th November 2018, 18:07

Car: 2006 Civic Sport i-CTDi
I've had a few Audis and absolutely agree, it's one of those brands (like BMW and Mercedes) that just isn't what it used to be.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 6th November 2018, 18:08 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Kinda (a lot really) annoys me when ever the names vw/audi or merc are brought up, the folk around me typically nod in reverance or some kind of appreciation of the brands' names.

Owned 4 mercs in all, and not bad cars though all what might be called 'classic'. My own opinion on running a modern merc is that it's a bit like a ticking bomb waiting to go off one day.
Kremmen and scaramanga like this.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 6th November 2018, 18:32
Das
i-Vtec

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by romansi View Post
The trouble with German cars was that we accountants got in on the act and told the engineers to cut costs.
TBH that's what happened at Saab, just that Saab didn't listen to the GM Accountants.
scaramanga and Wilmo like this.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 6th November 2018, 18:34
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Accountants logic......

Back in the 70's the London Routemaster bus interior bulbs cost 1 each and lasted about 2 years.

Then the accountants got involved and decided to switch to a cheaper '50p each' supplier, but those bulbs only lasted 6 months.

Now it doesn't take a genius to see the flaw but they were adamant that 50p was a better deal.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 6th November 2018, 18:52
Das
i-Vtec

Garage
At my work we have washing up liquid dispensers above every "Kitchen" sink. The bag that goes inside them holds 1.5lt of Product. Each bag costs 16. But they get the dispensers for free......... 1.5lt of Fairy liquid was 1.99 when I was in B&M's at the weekend. Again Accountants logic as they are getting the dispensers free, either that or someones getting a back hander.
scaramanga likes this.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 6th November 2018, 20:42
Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2 ctdi Sport
Our two Skoda's have been massively better and more reliable than the Civic was during our tenure... at least everything on the Skoda's stayed attached and worked or, the case of something going wrong was easily and cheaply fixable by me due to non-OE parts availability.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 7th November 2018, 10:59
Supporter

I went from a terrible 59 plate Bluemotion Golf to an 07 Civic, and the reliability of an old Civic is light years ahead of VW. My Golf had 3 break downs for DPF (on a car doing 80 miles a day, and 10 of those on clear motorway), it had coolant loss, it has Boot failing to shut (I had to use Gaffer tape) it has issues with fuses... and I had it from NEW. And it averaged well under 50mpg!

60k miles, and went to dealer on 6 or 7 occasions... AA recovery on 4. All in 3 years of ownership.

Civic is old... I've done 100k miles in 4 years.... car has done a lot more, and other than a clutch (which slipped when I got it), it's had some tyres, brake pads (and disks) and a battery. Oh, and a few headlight bulbs... Not so much as an Indicator bulb, and not a single non-wear&tear part has been needed.
Farqui likes this.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 7th November 2018, 18:05
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR & Si both Milano Red
Garage
Just to let you know I have been an accountant for 40 years soon and have tried to stop people making f'ing stupid decisions like those you have seen.
However, this one (not one of mine) trumps the lot:
Buy building from landlord for 3 million, spend another 1 million+ on refurbs etc, then relocate 3 years later at height of property slump in late 90s and sell it for 900,000!
I did okay by taking voluntary redundancy BTW.
Kremmen likes this.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 7th November 2018, 19:39
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skomaz View Post
Our two Skoda's have been massively better and more reliable than the Civic was during our tenure... at least everything on the Skoda's stayed attached and worked or, the case of something going wrong was easily and cheaply fixable by me due to non-OE parts availability.
my mates had quit a few skodas
they are good cars but things like door handles and trims/fixings are cheaper quality than the rest of vag group and need replacing now and then

he used them as taxis aswell as having them for private use
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 8th November 2018, 05:29
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
We used to have a regular poster here who works in a Honda showroom, older members will know who I mean.

When he was here I used to go to his place for my servicing and we had lengthy chats.

He previously worked in a VW showroom but left because he was morally against lying to customers about VW reliability. He would sell them a car and see them return with very expensive problems, often just out of warranty, particularly the DSG gearbox.
cb550 likes this.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 12th November 2018, 22:30

Car: 2014 1.8 i-VTEC SE Plus
Check out this site if you want to look at some reliability data for various models. Bear in mind this data is from outside the warranty period (+3 years, etc...)

The data is from Warranty Direct I think.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 13th March 2019, 21:46 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Should be hauling the flags up and popping the champagne bottles today-Well the TT a year on from purchase has just failed its mot ??

Yes, but..... a broken coil spring. And I asked, ok what else? The mechanic's reply, no no a broken spring. Back to collect it tomorrow. They're doing the job 90 approx. all in. Happy days. Next, the tax and insurance
Farqui likes this.

Civinfo > Off topic > Non Hondas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page