Thinking of buying a Honda CRX does anybody have any experience? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 26th June 2008, 13:06 Thread Starter
Supporter

Thinking of buying a Honda CRX does anybody have any experience?

Hi,

I think I am having an early midlife crisis, I really want a small, cheap to buy, cheap to run sports car.

I was thinking originally of a MK1 Golf Cabriolet but then I saw a CRX which I really really liked the look of.

Does anybody have any advice, experience or opinions of these little cars good or bad?

Thanks in advance.
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 29th June 2008, 00:23

Car: 2007 Si sedn Fiji Blue Pearl
I'd like to pick up a clean CRX as well, but they are few and far between around here. They're great cars, lightweight, and if you have the money to do a K series swap, they're downright awesome little beasts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 29th June 2008, 07:37
Supporter

Garage
You could have a look round their forum.

CRX-UK :: Index

They are quite old now so I guess the main thing to do is make sure you find a good one. Many will have had a hard life on a limited budget, but there must be some good enthusiast owned cars out there.

I keep thinking about a second classic car a 1.9 205 Gti which has the same problems - finding a good one!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 29th June 2008, 10:43 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the replies,

When I have been looking around I have noticed a hell of a lot of CRX Del Sols which I believe are the imported versions, has anybody ever owned an imported car, should I look at these are stay with the UK versions, I know a lot of MX-5's are imports and I think you get a few more toys.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 4th July 2008, 22:30
LNT

Which CRX are you after? I have a friend who has an old G reg CRX which he says is great, although I seem to remember him saying the steering was very heavy. (No power steering and big wheels). Or were you looking at the more modern Civic CRX which had that funky automatic roof gadget?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 5th July 2008, 10:36 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNT View Post
Which CRX are you after? I have a friend who has an old G reg CRX which he says is great, although I seem to remember him saying the steering was very heavy. (No power steering and big wheels). Or were you looking at the more modern Civic CRX which had that funky automatic roof gadget?
I was looking at the newer one, as you say the one with the electric roof.

Ideally I would like an older 1.5L engined one (Cheap tax!), although these are harder to come by due to the age I pressume. I would just like one which is un-modified, has low mileage and full Honda service history. Although I think I may be looking for some time!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 5th July 2008, 13:01
Supporter

Car: 2006 CTS GT 2.2 , Vivid Blue
If its really a sports car you are looking for look no further than a Mk1 Mx5 or Eunos roadster (the japanese import) . I have the latter in classic red cost just 1400 over a year ago great spares availability but almost nothing goes wrong . 200 fully comp insurance with directline .
Mine has done 160ooo Kilometres and according to my local mechanic is run in ! the handling is much better than the CRX especially the one with the electric roof (all that weight high up !)
Hardly ever use the hood up even in the rain but never fails to put a smile on my face.
Buy either an early imported 1600 like mine (130bhp as standard and easy to tune to 150bhp ) or what Im looking for now a late Mk1 1800 with ABS to use as a daily driver summer or winter .
You will learn a lovely opposite lock drift for roundabouts in no time!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 5th July 2008, 15:48
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!

Car: Suzuki Swift Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munro View Post

I keep thinking about a second classic car a 1.9 205 Gti which has the same problems - finding a good one!
I always thought that the 1.6 Gti was the better car. Great handling, fast, and slightly less likely to kill you by depositing you in a ditch than the 1.9

As for the CRX, it's a great looking car, made by Honda and loved by some of the Max Power brigade. Buyer beware.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 30th July 2008, 13:20
Gordons Honda

www.delsolownersclub.co.uk
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11th November 2009, 02:10
Supporter

had one a number of years ago until a drunk driver wrote it off.
1.6 vtec, 150 hp
prob the best car ive owned. was immaculate
been looking about for one for a few years, but not many good ones that havent been modded about.
best of luck

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Other Honda cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page