2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Help! Civic 1.8 Sport to an S2000?

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  feck_on_a_stick 
#1 ·
I've owned my 2006 1.8 Sport just shy of 2 years. I love the styling and the interior, but I just don't get any enjoyment or satisfaction from driving it. It's a nice cruiser in a straight line but I don't trust it in the bends and feel like it just wallows about like a cruise ship. I just don't feel like I'm involved, more like it's taking me for the ride. The gear change is a bit too clunky too.

Now I'll admit to having come to the Civic from a 1.2 Clio. It was a very slow car and had more rattles than the Civic but in the bends it was actually alot of fun.

So here's my question? Has anyone made a similar move from a 1.8 to an S2000 and can share their experiences? I know they are two completely different beasts but how different? I'm 31, don't have a family (so stupid and impractical is fine) and it would be my main car. I want to rekindle my love of driving and I need a new car that will make me feel more involved.

I've never even been in one, never mind driven one, and I'm assuming that a test drive will be restricted to slow and steady. Are there any nice friendly local S2000 owners on here who fancies taking me out for a spin......... :) I'd show my gratitude in big smiles and a few beers haha

See less See more
#2 ·
The S2000 is a cracking drivers car, and fine to use as an everyday car IMO, get the hardtop a must as far as im concerned. Driving wise you have to get fully invovled and give it some beans to get your 'driving rewards', but its also happy just crusing around. With regards to the test drive, INSIST on a good drive through mixed roads. If you are testing a pre VSA model and you dont have much experience with rear wheeled drive make sure the roads are dry when you give it some. Awesome drivers car, will feel totally different to the civic and clio in every aspect. S2000 = cracking gear change, good steering feedback and through the twistes you will be smiling from ear to ear. Great driving position, great car. Buy one!

#3 ·
Before you go as far as changing car, have you thought about a suspension etc. upgrade ? ...

Those who have had the Koni FSD 'shocks' and \ or the FRS alignment package, all report noticeably improved handling ...

#4 ·
I know this is an obvious one :rolleyes: but why not give the Type R a go.
More practical for everyday use than an S2000 but will give you the handling and excitement you are missing in your 1.8.

I know i am biased but for me its a great drivers car.

#7 ·
Thanks for everyone's thoughts so far.

I had thought about trying to improve the handling of the Civic, but I still feel drawn to replacing it with more of a driver's car.

I have also thought about a ctr, but as much as I still love the exterior looks, I don't think I could get used to the red interior. I know I must sound like I'm nitpicking now but even looking at S2000 interiors I don't think I could get used to the black & red leather seats that alot seem to have. This is probably because I've always been used to boring black interiors, although I do have a weakness for tan leather in black Alfas.

Chip, I'm interested to know your thoughts on the S2000 being a bridge between MX5 and a Z4. Is it just a brand thing? Not trying to sound cheeky, but genuinely interested :)

The Z4 and 350Z have also been on my wanted list, but the coupe versions. I've always hated this 'hairdresser' tag associated with soft tops, but can't get away from the fact that so many people think that and I'm afraid it does influence my purchasing decision. In my opinion very few convertibles seem to escape that association, apart from the likes of Westfields, Cobras and I also think the S2000 has escaped it too. I hear stories of people gettin abuse in mx5s, Z4s and Boxsters, but none about S2000s. Queue lots of stories to the contrary which now puts me off hahaha

I've also thought about an Elise or a VX220 turbo, but personally I feel they would make a better second car than a main car.

#8 ·
I think that if it starts life as a coupe don't get the hairdresser option. The S2000 is not the hairdresser option. MX5=great fun+good driver involvement. S2000 the same plus almost (if not more than) 100BHP.

Z4 is the exception, as the coupe is the mutts nuts (in my book) and in 3.0 spec can show the 350Z coupe a thing or two.

MR2 or MX5 would be cheaper to live with whilst still ticking the enjoyment/satisfaction boxes.

Actually, at least in my world (kids/mortgage etc) I don't have to go round and round deciding where to go with this one :- diesel civic it is then!

#10 ·
Alrite mate got to say the S2000 would a major step up from the 1.8. Even though honda no longer make the S2000 there are plenty on the 2nd hand market.

I agree with what chip says about the S2000 not being a hairdresser car, and there isn't alot of S2000 about, well up here in where I live in Scotland that I have seen so you'll have something exclusive.

My opinion would be if I could I go for one not just cause I've fancied one for ages but from a 2.0L = 240bhp and rear well drive fun.

Try these forums for more info these guy and girls now better lol
OpenDNS
S2000 & NSX - Type R Owners Forums

#11 ·
#15 ·
I own an S2000 and a 2.2 Civ.

The S2k is a wonderful car and I use it as a weekend car with the 2.2 doing the manual labour through the week. If you've never driven a rear wheel drive - You're going to have lots of fun in the S2k - It feels and drives like an absoloute dream and it gives me the shivers every time I press the button to start her up.

Running costs aren't too bad - Take it to the track however, keep it in Vtec and you can literally watch the fuel dissappear - And to get the best out of it, you need to get it up to the redline in every gear - Which is noisy, but fantastic fun! But keep the revs low and out of the Vtec for distance driving and the 2 litre engine will purr along nicely!

Some say they suffer from leaky roofs, I've owned mine since new in '04 and I've never had a problem. The only prob I've ever had with her was a flat battery and that's probably because I don't take her out that often.

I could probably use the S2K as a day to day car, the boot is sizable and is comfortable to drive distances - The price of fuel and tyres holds me back a little though!

Mine is in silver with the red leather interior - and I think it looks awesome!

#17 ·
Don't have many pics with me I'm afraid - But here's a repost!
Is that Moonrock? Very nice! I love that colour. Would def prefer that over black.

I'm now looking through the S2000 forums and getting more excited. I did the exact same thing on here before I got the Civ hahaha

Thanks for everyone's thought so far :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.