• 1 Post By lightningslow
  • 1 Post By Buzby

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th July 2016, 15:35 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 1.6 iDTEC ES
Eco display Eco display
Legend

Has anyone got, or had the 2006 on Legend? I'm hoping to be in a position to jack my job in and give the leased uber economic 1.6 dtec civic back, and on the lazy days ahead I quite fancy either previous model Lexi GS 450h or a Legend. They seem to be ridiculously good VFM. I don't even want to consider the Germans.... Is the Legend painted better, interior materials better quality, than say an Accord, similar reliability to lesser hondas? The hybrid Lexi appeals however so does the 'most advanced All wheel drive system on the planet' to quote one dealer selling a Legend. Exclusivity favours the Legend, the interior looks fantabulous, but wil it really only do 17mpg or less? The 515 PA tax is one thing but 100 quid fill ups to do 280 miles is a bit scary! Hey ho only live once and it's not like I'll be doing 30k miles PA in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 26th October 2016, 08:49
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,144 Times in 3,840 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
@Nickolodeon , did you make any progress here?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 26th October 2016, 09:30
Supporter

Car: 2007 1.8 EX iShift 5DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickolodeon View Post
Has anyone got, or had the 2006 on Legend? I'm hoping to be in a position to jack my job in and give the leased uber economic 1.6 dtec civic back, and on the lazy days ahead I quite fancy either previous model Lexi GS 450h or a Legend. They seem to be ridiculously good VFM. I don't even want to consider the Germans.... Is the Legend painted better, interior materials better quality, than say an Accord, similar reliability to lesser hondas? The hybrid Lexi appeals however so does the 'most advanced All wheel drive system on the planet' to quote one dealer selling a Legend. Exclusivity favours the Legend, the interior looks fantabulous, but wil it really only do 17mpg or less? The 515 PA tax is one thing but 100 quid fill ups to do 280 miles is a bit scary! Hey ho only live once and it's not like I'll be doing 30k miles PA in it.
The legend is a big and very heavy car, so the MPG is about right for that kind of engine size. Out of those you've suggested, a GS450H all day long. Be aware though the older generation from 2011 back have a very small boot. Lexus reliability is famed, also driving it is wonderful experience and if i didn't need a bigger boot i wouldve gotten the GS450H instead of another civic.

One thing to look out for on Lexus is the wheels corrode easily, but thats about the only thing that really goes wrong on them. Interiors are unctuous and wonderfully comfortable with heated and cooled seats and it goes like the clappers. If you can learn how to hyper mile youll get an easy 35mpg combined cycle out of it.
Thanks to lightningslow from:

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 26th October 2016, 09:51
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Good to hear about the Lexus, whilst looking for the Civic I drove an IS200D and my gawd it was slow/numb (maybe it had an issue?) which has kinda put me off. I've read that the petrol version is the better power unit tho, so maybe the dead feel was normal.

The GS450 is a lower tax bracket, better mpg but a bit slower. Not seeing many low miler's either vs the Legend on Autotrader...but seem some on PistonHeads

I quite fancy a big petrol again but the increased fuel bill is deterring me, I also need to get some use out of the FK3 to justify the spend. So for me, it's more curiosity about other options.

Oh and why do these 'barges' need to have naff, fake, glossy wood like, interior trim?
Thanks to Farqui from:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 26th October 2016, 09:57
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farqui View Post
Good to hear about the Lexus, whilst looking for the Civic I drove an IS200D and my gawd it was slow (maybe it had an issue?) which has kinda put me off. I've read that the petrol version is the better power unit tho, so maybe the dead feel was normal.

The GS450 is a lower tax bracket, better mpg but a bit slower. Not seeing many low miler's either vs the Legend.

I quite fancy a big petrol again but the increased fuel bill is deterring me, I also need to get some use out of the FK3 to justify the spend. So for me, it's more curiosity about other options.

Oh and why do these 'barges' need to have naff, fake, glossy wood like, interior trim?
Theres a reason you don't see low milers, they're usually company cars and they're usually motorway mile munchers. Legends, well the market was so small as they're an executive saloon that they never really got driver anywhere much due to the abysmal economy they offered. Theres a reason they were dropped.

The lexus may be a bit slower, but the torque at WOT is pretty special. Yes it has a CVT but it does shift and the noise is a little intrusive but at cruising its remarkably refined and your an put a glass of water on the engine cover and it'll barely vibrate. The older style ones did have wood trim as it as the in thing at the time, i believe the facelift has a different approach.

Lexus dropped all diesel models for a good reason, they're horrific to drive

There are other options available form the VAG group with regards to the 2.0 TFSI range, a basic remap will see over 280BHP and a 300FT LB of torque, but the reliability sucks in comparison as does the repair and upkeep cost. Same with the BMW range and their chocolate teapot timing chains and swirl flaps
Farqui likes this.

Last edited by lightningslow; 26th October 2016 at 10:02.
Thanks to lightningslow from:
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 31st October 2016, 18:06 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Car: 1.6 iDTEC ES
Eco display Eco display
Thanks for all the info regards these luxury barges. The GS 450h will be the way to go I think, unfortunately still shackled to the job and the company car (Civic) at present. I don't like the idea of the VW 2.0 TFSI, I've heard horror stories about these, and the oil consumption is apparently horrendous?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 31st October 2016, 18:13
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickolodeon View Post
Thanks for all the info regards these luxury barges. The GS 450h will be the way to go I think, unfortunately still shackled to the job and the company car (Civic) at present. I don't like the idea of the VW 2.0 TFSI, I've heard horror stories about these, and the oil consumption is apparently horrendous?
Horrendous issues with reliability, i tend to avoid anything from the VAG group/
Farqui likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 31st October 2016, 18:21
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
The big Lexus does look tempting, good call.

I also find all the recent VAG issues extremely off putting.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 24th October 2017, 14:46
Supporter

Smile Legend

I have just bought a 2007 Legend, always wanted one and is a fantastic second hand buy mine has the CMBS system. I have managed to get 30mpg on a decent run.

The car is amazing to drive and the four wheel drive system which was a worlds first is really something else. I intend to use mine only for holidays and days out so if you balance that against running its ok remember these were nearly 40,000 when new and are a luxury car plus you get VTEC 300bhp make it scream the car becomes totally different, I highly recommend this car. One final thing they are a rare car not many of them about.

Buzby
Farqui likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 24th October 2017, 16:45
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
@Buzby , nice one enjoy being wafted along.

But...we need pic's or it didn't happen!

You're right, I think I've only seen 1 in person.

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Other Honda cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page