FR-V or Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11th January 2010, 11:40 Thread Starter

FR-V or Citroen C4 Grand Picasso

Hi

I have a quick question, I need a larger car to accommadate 2 forward facing car seats and an adult in the back seat and am thinking of either an FR-V or a C4 Grand Picasso.

I have owned 2 Honda's and really liked them (currently own an 08 civic) but am worried the boot on the FR-V is not big enough for a double buggy plus luggage etc. However, I'm a little concerned about the reliability of citroens and how they hold their value.

Is anyone able to offer me any advice, as I'm not sure weather to go for the more reliable, but smaller FV-R or the larger and more practical C4 Grand Picasso.

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11th January 2010, 12:38
Supporter

Car: 2009 1.8 5door,Champ Silver
Send a message via MSN to Arno1978 Send a message via Skype™ to Arno1978
Hi there,

As far as my knowledge goes Citroen as a company isn't doing as well as Honda, and being a Honda fanatic myself I would rather stick to what I know. I had various brands of vehciles in my life, ones I wish I never owned, and out of all those Honda came up tops even when it comes to after sales service.

My advise, sacrifice a little space for alot of piece of mind.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11th January 2010, 14:41
Strong in me The Force is

Car: 2.2 NHB & 1.8 DBP TypeS
From a quality and reliability point of view, I would definatly go for the Honda. The Citroen might have some extra gadgets and even 17 more "handy secret compartments", if you like a car that starts in the morning and takes you where you want to go, leave the Citroen alone.
A collegue of mine is however very happy with his Citroen. He doesn't mind the exhaust falling off, all electronics shutting down, power cutting off, the roofrack coming loose above 100 km/h, doors not closing because of the cold, etc. And consequently spending more time at the dealers than at home with his wife and kids. For him nothing beats French luxury!
Undoubtedly there will be good Citroens too, just like there are bad Hondas.

K.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11th January 2010, 20:58
Nice Guy!

Car: Volvo V40, D4, Se Lux
You need to test drive both and see what you think. I am afraid I cannot comment on the size of boot in the FR-V. the Citroen is a bigger car and gets good reviews.
The FR-V whilst it may have beter build quality and reliability is on the point of being kiled off by Honda from memory (if it hasn't already happened. which won't affect you if it is a 2nd hand car you are looking for but might if it is a new car you are looking for
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 19th January 2010, 01:09

Hi mgammans,

Our other car is a FRV. One of my brother in laws owned the C4 for a while and the other brother in laws has a Vauxhall Zafira .

The Vauxhall is supposedly the benchmark for this class of vehicle.
Having driven all three, the Zafira was the most versatile but also most uncomfortable, but then again he has the sportier GSI version. I personally didn't like the feel or the drive of the Citroen. Of the three I would opt for the FRV again and again but then again I could be biased as we're on our 4th Honda in a row. The Citroen also had the worst reputation for depreciation and reliablity; and of the three spent more time at the garage and the petrol station.

The boot is pretty small on the FRV but I have had two prams in the back (one on top of the other) with the parcel shelf out and space for a few small bags. The toddlers pram is kept in the back all the time and we can still get the weekly shopping in the boot. Not sure if you'll get a double buggy in there.

Road handling isn't like a civic but you do get used to it, just dont take it round bends too fast. The build is Japanese so its better than the Civic. Its a heavy car thats nimble enough, however, the front tyres take alot of wear.

Layout of some controls is abit strange, for instance, the controls for electric windows are on the dash as opposed to being on the doors or centre console. Once you get used to the handbrake position you find its an ideal spot for it.

Child seats can be fitted on the front passenger seat and the rear corners but not in the middle seats in front and rear. All three seats will take Isofix type seats but you will need to purchase a top tether as well.

The FRV seats six people quite comfortably. I have two teenagers who are both tall for their age and they can sit in the front quite comfortably even on long journeys.

All three back seats and the front middle drop flat to give you extra load space. With the front middle down, this can act as a table (or foot rest for rear passengers). It also comes with its own drawer underneath. The glove box is a decent size and you can get optional leather but the cloth interior is pretty hard wearing.

If you are opting for an FRV then I would recommend the 2.2 diesel as the best option. The petrol versions are cheaper but not as engaging to drive; i'm not too sure on econmy on petrol versions but we're happy with the diesel.

As a final note, we bought ours new, when they were pretty rare, you see quite a few on the roads now which suggests they have become quite popular. Ours, so far, has been trouble free, has been out of warranty for over a year and still going strong. Currently the missus refuses to change, claiming its the best car she's had (even prefaring it to the CTR) and wants to keep for a few more years.

As others have suggested take both cars for an extended test drive, try fitting the child seats and the double buggy, let the other half have a drive of both cars as well and take it from there.

Alternatively, have you also considered a Renault Espace (I was impressed by a friends but put off by previous Renault ownership experience) or a Volvo estate/Honda Accord estate?

Cal.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 19th January 2010, 01:54
Wine and cooking !

Car: 2008, Grey Mica 1.5 Materia
As far as i know, the c4 is not so bad in quality/reliability terms. Beware, it's a French cat not a Japanese. On the other side the cr-v is yet discontinued by Honda. Personally I would go for the cr-v... good luck to you !
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th January 2010, 18:00

Car: CIV 1.8 ES - i-shift, VIVID
Having driven most cars, I would also say FRV - looked at one for my family needs, also looked at picasso (grande and "normal" size), scenics, espaces, grand voyager too... none of these are as reliable, or - I think - as safe (people will argue that the scenic, picasso's and espace ARE but I dispute that) - also reliability - Honda cdti engines are economical and reliable, and don't require expensive cam belt changes!!!!

I was put off only by the fact that the FRV "feels" wide, but apparently, its no wider than a scenic!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th January 2010, 18:02
Supporter

Car: 2016 PCX Cherry Red
Garage
How about a Toyota Verso?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th January 2010, 21:26

I would go for the Honda or a Toyota. I had a 6 month old Citroen C4 Picasso and it was a load of rubbish. It was always in the garage with major faults: gears disengading (it was the semi auto version), turbo faults, engine management faults.....it was the most unreliable car I have ever owned in 40 years of motoring. The local Citroen dealer said they have loads of faults with the C4s (and also that Citroen Technical are pretty useless at solving problems). My son has a Citroen C3 and that is also giving problems.

On the other hand I believe Honda are pulling out of the 'people carrier' market in the UK so...

I would go for a Toyota model if I were you.....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 27th January 2010, 22:14
Supporter

FRV Replacement

I have 3 boys aged 4 and twins at two.

The oldest one loves it up front

The car is reliable economical and the kids love it. The wife loves it because it is no longer than a focus.

THe boot is not massive but we have a double buggy and a singlr buggy no problems. Take the parcel shelf of bags of room

I am very very pleased

Cant believe there not making it any more

IS IT BEING REPLACED DOES ANYBODY KNOW
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2010, 17:19

Car: BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer 218
Whilst the Toyota Verso gets good reviews the two rearmost seats (seats 6&7) are very limiting in that they are ideally only for short journeys, limit the boot space considerably and the view from them is awful. When I bought the FRV I took a look at the Verso and the sales rep said that the back seats were okay but he wouldn't got to Cornwall in them (enough said and always assuming that you don't start from Devon )

Regards,
Chris
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2010, 17:32
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,110 Times in 830 Posts
Have you thought about the Fiat Multipla ? ...

2 rows of 3 seats, and still decent boot space ...

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Other Honda cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.civinfo.com/forum/other-honda-cars/35595-fr-v-citroen-c4-grand-picasso.html
Posted By For Type Date
Citroen C4 Grand Picasso | Citroen Pictures This thread Refback 30th August 2010 16:30