Project car, Honda Legend 1991 - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 4th September 2010, 22:24 Thread Starter
Ths
Supporter

Car: 2000 BMW 740i
Project car, Honda Legend 1991

We already have the CTR, and my wife got her license a couple of weeks ago, so i wanted another cheap car to run around in when we both need cars. Been thinking about a Legend for years, and studying a bit about them the last couple of months. Last few weeks i have been looking and watching for new Legends being put for sale, but they are quite rare in Norway, at least the second generation that i want (Love the looks of it). Yesterday a pretty nice one was put for sale. Well, nice compared to the rest if found in my price range at least...

Honda Legend, 1991, 3,2L 205 bhp, done 200000 km, automatic transmition. Almost no rust, just a few small spots inside the wheelarches. Jumped on a plane this morning to go have a look and took it for a testdrive.

Some faults i found during the drive where a few bulbs not working, electric seat regulator button on passenger seat not working, rear right side window don't work, stereo is crap, only one speaker working. Not to bad, can all be fixed pretty easily.

On the drive home after buying the car i found some more serious faults though. After stopping for a bathroom break i tried unlocking the car using the remote lock and no reaction. After a couple of minutes trying it suddenly decided reacting. Not happened after that but think i need to have a look at the electrics. Key wont work in any door... Seems like all lock cylinders are ceased up. Some times when trying to start the car it won't turn over. Bad connection in wires under dashboard. Dashboard lights flickering when main light switch in off setting.

On the positive side it has almost no rust, engine seems to work flawlessly with the exception of a broke sensor, but i knew about that one and its not vital. My biggest worry is mechanical breakdown, the electrics i can fix pretty easy.

The project part of this is restoring the cars mechanics, installing a proper stereo and satnav, updating the cars interior. Interior i want to restore the seats and get them done in leather. Re-do roof cover, dashboard, doorcards, etc in either leather or alcantara or something like that. Strip the exterior paint, rust protection, re-paint.

Will be quite a big and expensive project if i manage to get it all done, and the time scheduel will be measured in years First up is getting the car in good running order mechanically and electrically. Then get the rust fixed temporarily until the car gets a total repaint. After that its interior and stereo, and lastly all exterior cosmetic work. Just hope my interest in the car keeps up

Car was lovely to drive home today, did almost 500 km with it.

And some pictures:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 4th September 2010, 22:27
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Hope you can get the little problems sorted out fairly easily.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 4th September 2010, 22:29 Thread Starter
Ths
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWH View Post
Hope you can get the little problems sorted out fairly easily.
I think so. Most important the ignition issue, and i have sorted that so far by just touching the wires under the dash, so i think its just a bad connection. Lock not working is harder, but it seems that the electric lock moves a bit slow, so i think i will just have to remove the doorcards and lube the mechanisms a bit so it don't stick.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 4th September 2010, 22:48
Supporter

Car: 09 Suzuki Swift Sport white
Thanked 2,783 Times in 2,531 Posts
Good luck with it matey!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 4th September 2010, 22:55
LOUD NOISES!!!

Car: 60 FN2 M200
Good luck and keep us posted
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 4th September 2010, 23:16
Lord of JAE.....

Car: 58' NHB Type R-GT
My bet would be it's been stolen at some point, and thats why the key doesn't work in the doors, it has a different key for them, mate had something similar on a really old fiesta of his, one key for the doors one for the ignition, because it had been knicked and hotwired, and was cheaper to buy a second hand barrel than rep[lace all the locks....

Fingers crossed you can sort the little problems out easily enough

Tom
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 5th September 2010, 07:33 Thread Starter
Ths
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
My bet would be it's been stolen at some point, and thats why the key doesn't work in the doors, it has a different key for them, mate had something similar on a really old fiesta of his, one key for the doors one for the ignition, because it had been knicked and hotwired, and was cheaper to buy a second hand barrel than rep[lace all the locks....

Fingers crossed you can sort the little problems out easily enough

Tom
Ah, good guess. Didn't get a chance to talk to previous owners since this was handled by a used cars dealer. Thanks for the tip I just got to make sure the electric lock works now then so i don't get locked out
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 8th September 2010, 08:14
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ths View Post
I just got to make sure the electric lock works now then so i don't get locked out
Or locked in!

Nothing worse for the dignity that crawling out of your car through the window and thats assuming they work. or it could get very intersting, you could be the 1st person ever to break out of a car!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 8th September 2010, 08:46
Supporter

Garage
I think these old Legends look great. You seem to have found one in superb condition as well. A lot of Legends had Leather as standard In the UK so you may be able to get a good interior from a UK breaker. Personally I think the velour looks fine anyway.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 8th September 2010, 10:18
Lord of JAE.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ths View Post
Ah, good guess. Didn't get a chance to talk to previous owners since this was handled by a used cars dealer. Thanks for the tip I just got to make sure the electric lock works now then so i don't get locked out
No worries, Do you have a version of the HPI check? I had a barrel go on my second car, and it vwas something in the region of 98 to replace something an inch and a half long...... could have got one from a breakers with a seperate key for like 30, big difference...... I went for the dealer option as I didn't want more keys you may be able to pick up a complete lock set from a breakers....

Tom
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 8th September 2010, 18:53 Thread Starter
Ths
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munro View Post
I think these old Legends look great. You seem to have found one in superb condition as well. A lot of Legends had Leather as standard In the UK so you may be able to get a good interior from a UK breaker. Personally I think the velour looks fine anyway.
Yeah i like the look to I seem to find more and more stuff that is wrong with it though. Got some fuel lines that need changing, about 100 in parts, and the steel parts of the rear bumper is completely rusted off. We found the impact part steel just lying inside the plastic bumper! But all in all i am still happy. Everything we have found so fare is pretty easy to fix, and most of it can be done as i get the money to do it.

Leather was a option on all Legend's, and standard on higher editions + standard on all 95 models. The leather i have seen originally in cars has started to become cracked though, and i want it mint. I want appolstry completely redone, remove all plastic covering on dash and doors and redo them all in leather. Been thinking of color combinations and so far i have landed on all black interior with white stitching. But this is at least a couple of years ahead in time if i don't win the lottery

Its kinda cool having a project to look forward working on though!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 8th September 2010, 18:58 Thread Starter
Ths
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
No worries, Do you have a version of the HPI check? I had a barrel go on my second car, and it vwas something in the region of 98 to replace something an inch and a half long...... could have got one from a breakers with a seperate key for like 30, big difference...... I went for the dealer option as I didn't want more keys you may be able to pick up a complete lock set from a breakers....

Tom
Dealer said it was possible to rebuild the locks maybe. This was the cheapest option he said. I'm not to worried about this part yet though. Got more critical things to fix before i tackle this one.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 8th September 2010, 19:02
Lord of JAE.....

LOL, just thinking this could be the problem with your central locking two immobilisers "fighting" it out.... and may account for other electronical problems, perhaps he did the work himself and the wiring was compromised?

Tom
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 8th September 2010, 19:08 Thread Starter
Ths
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
LOL, just thinking this could be the problem with your central locking two immobilisers "fighting" it out.... and may account for other electronical problems, perhaps he did the work himself and the wiring was compromised?

Tom
Hehe, nah, don't think so. Other electric problems are mostly switches and stuff that have seen better days. Adjusting passenger seat back and rear right side passenger window for example. Even found a wire that was disconnected under the passenger seat, so might be a real simple fix really. Just got to get September over and done with work wise so i get some spare time again, then i can start fiddling around with all this stuff!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 27th January 2011, 17:52 Thread Starter
Ths
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Just some small updates on this project car. Had a gas leak at the pipes exiting the fuel tank. Decided to get a garage to fix this for me since it was a really fidley job without having a ramp to get on to. It's a high pressure fuel system anyway, and the procedure for taking the fuel lines of was something i felt more comfortable leaving to a professional.

Ignition issue also sorted. Was as I figured, a loose wire. The Defa security system has a fuse under the dash, and one of the fingers holding the fuse was broken off, so it only had connection sometimes. Did not do anything when driving, but also meant that i sometime locked myself out of the car if it lost connection when the car was locked. This resulted in the car staying locked and me unable to get in for a couple of months late last year.... Didn't matter much though since i didn't have winter tyres on the car, just drove the CTR instead.

Right now I'm working on a small leak in the boot. Looks to be some bad old gaskets around the tail lights and rear window, so got to get that sealed before i start doing anything to the interior and stereo. No use putting new expensive stuff in if its gonna get rusty and moldy right away. When the weather gets warmer i also plan to get some more work done underneath the car, changing some rubber, cleaning off some rust, and sealing it up again.

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Other Honda cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page