Honda civic 1.7 ctdi limp mode fixed !!! - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 19th August 2014, 14:20 Thread Starter
Supporter

Smile Honda civic 1.7 ctdi limp mode fixed !!!

Hi everyone Iím new to this site. I'm a proud owner of a Honda civic ep4 thatís the 2 door 1.7ctdi s.e

Like many 1.7ctdi owners i have also suffered from the dreaded limp home mode issue under load. I've searched high and low for a fix without having to change a variety of sensors, egr valve and turbo etc etc. no boost leaks etc etc

I have managed to resolve the issue for good and it cost me less than a fiver !!! Honestly not joking about here.

So the issue presents itself whilst trying to accelerate and hitting limp mode around the 50/60mph range on a slight incline or even no incline at times. Revs would be limited to around 2500 and so would speed and power. switching the engine off for 30 seconds or so would reset the system until the next time. So everyone who's suffering with this issue read on and Iíll show you how to fix it yourself for less than a fiver.

Cause of the problem
The problem consists of the variable vanes and actuator on the turbo becoming sticky and clogged as well as a combination of carbon build up in the egr valve.

Don't laugh as I have done this and it's worked 1000% and no more limp mode for the past 8k and counting. I found this fix on the Brisk Skoda tdi site and adapted it for my civic ctdi 2005 s.e

Items / tools needed to fix the issue
1, A can of Mr muscle oven cleaner (the foaming one) i got this from asda £2.99
2, 1.5 metres of clear pipe i got this from b&q £0.98 per metre
3, Socket set
4, screwdrivers
5, patience
6, Mole grips

Before attempting this please ensure your car is cold as the manifold can get extremely hot and burn you !!!

What to do
> Remove engine cover
> Remove egr valve and connecting pipes
> Spray egr valve in oven cleaner and leave aside
> remove pipes which connect to the exhaust side of the manifold / turbo (the hot side) these are at the front of the engine bay and will be covered in superficial rust. ( you might need a little heat to open these )
> remove spray nozzle from Mr muscle oven cleaner and attach clear pipe over it
> feed the clear tube down in to the turbo side as far as it will go
> Push down on the pipe side attached to the Mr muscle can and watch the foam fill the tube, carry on until the foam does not pour out of the metal manifold pipe the plastic tube has been inserted in to.
> from underneath the car locate the turbo and move the actuator, this should move a few cm max either way. If its stiff or won't move try a mole grip. The actuator should have smooth movement hard but smooth and should not feel gritty.
> keep playing with the actuator every 10 mins or so over a two hour period.
> Clean egr valve out using screwdrivers as the Mr muscle oven cleaner will have softened the carbon build up.
> Once two hours have passed connect everything back up in reverse order
> start the car and drive gently until the engine warms up to operating temperature.
> Now the fun bit slam it in second and red line it and then in third and red line it
> then slow down and slam in second and red line and third and red line you need to do this for a few miles.
> You may notice a little smoke from the exhaust and a chemically smell which is the residue of the Mr muscle burning out of the exhaust. The car may hit limp mode a few times whilst doing this. Keep resetting the system by switching the engine off
> once a few miles have passed thatís it. stop turn engine off, restart and jump on the motorway and hey presto no more limp mode. You will also feel more torque in the lower range and your car will feel more lively and i noticed an increase of 5/6 mpg now currently returning 65mpg as per the trip computer on-board. Iíve never had it so high !!!

I did this trick over 8k ago and itís never missed a beat since. No more limo mode!!!

Thanks and enjoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 19th August 2014, 14:31 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 19th August 2014, 16:46
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,042 Posts
Welcome to Civinfo!

Personally, I think I'd want to be absolutely sure that I had a turbo problem before filling it up with Mr Muscle. What diagnostic trouble code was being registered in the ECU when the car was going into limp mode under load?

But well done for fixing the problem with your car so successfully for very little cost!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 19th August 2014, 16:49
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier

Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,328 Posts
Well done mate was only talking about this in another thread recently and how the VAG boys sorted it, it's a known fix and works very well, good old Mr Muscle.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 19th August 2014, 19:49 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

My civic was not registering any codes on the ecu and no eml light either. I took the car to various mechanics who all pointed towards replacing the turbo
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 19th August 2014, 19:50 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

A friend of mine had the same issue on a diesel golf registering boost pressure to high he did the same mr muscle trick and hey presto all fixed
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 19th August 2014, 19:50
Supporter

Car: 2007 FN2 GT
Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,635 Posts
Loves the jobs you hate
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 19th August 2014, 21:02
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ep4yow View Post
My civic was not registering any codes on the ecu and no eml light either. I took the car to various mechanics who all pointed towards replacing the turbo
Fair enough. Apologies if I seemed negative, but it's a brave thing to do without being absolutely certain that it's a boost issue.
Thanks to Jon_G from:
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 19th January 2018, 07:09
Supporter

Car: Silver 2.2 EX (Type R Kit)
Would this work on a 2.2 CTDi as well?

How much would it cost to pay someone to do this? As I donít have tools and I wouldnít know where to start...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 25th February 2018, 21:02
Supporter

Car: 2011 1.4
iam going to try this when weather improves
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 25th February 2018, 22:35
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
you can buy a kit from cox with all the gaskets and a tin of cleaning spray to clean egr on 2.2
a word of warning be very care full if using mr muscle oven cleaner read the warnings on it
this stuff is banned from many workplaces as its very hazordous and toxic

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Previous Civics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page