Rattling engine noise - please help - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th September 2014, 11:30 Thread Starter

Unhappy Rattling engine noise - please help

Hi,
I've got a 1.6 idtec civic. I've noticed that every morning when the engine is cold, it makes a rattling noise when accelerating. It happens for the first few minutes of driving through gears.
I left my car with Honda service for a week so that they could investigate and hear the noise in the morning. They described it as "excessive diesel knock and a pinking sound". They discussed it with Honda and carried out ECU update on all injection systems.
I picked up the car and the noise is still the same.
They only asked me to send the recording to them so that they can send it to Honda to investigate. I'm left with a noisy car....
Please listen to my recording, link below. Any ideas? ((
Thanks in advance

http://tinyurl.com/mcvwheq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th September 2014, 14:09
Supporter

Car: 2012 Civic 1.8 ES milano
Sounds like oil isn't reaching certain areas quick enough or low.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th September 2014, 22:18
Supporter

Car: 08 2.2 ES CIV&09 2.2 EX CRV
Is there any unusual smoke from the exhaust?
Has it made this noise since new?
How is fuel consumption?
How is oil level?
When the engine is warm does it sound normal?
Are Honda actively pursuing this for you?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th September 2014, 22:35 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

There are no other symptoms, no unusual smoke from the exhaust. It hasn't made this noise before (I've had it for 3 months, 13 plate), fuel consumption is normal avg 64 mpg, the oil level is ok and it sounds normal when warm.
I left it for a week with Stratstone Honda and they said they had checked everything.
Are Honda actively pursuing this for me? I collected the car 3 days ago and they only asked for the recording to send to Honda... Don't know how long I should wait until something more serious happens to the engine... I don't want to have problems with the engine in the future only because they can't do anything now ((
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 17th September 2014, 21:18
Supporter

Car: 08 2.2 ES CIV&09 2.2 EX CRV
The car is under warranty, I would push very hard for a timely diagnosis from Honda, if there happens to be an issue with fuel injection equipment it needs correcting sooner rather than later. Let us know how you get on.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 17th September 2014, 21:25

Even tho the Civic idtec is noisier than any modern diesel I have driven this is definitely not right.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 18th September 2014, 09:04

Car: 2012, 2.2 I-DTEC, EXEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez View Post
Even tho the Civic idtec is noisier than any modern diesel I have driven this is definitely not right.
Is the I-dtec really that noisy compared to other "modern" diesels? I don't have that much experience of driving other "modern" diesels.

Does everyone consider the two i-dtecs engines that noisy?

I have the 2.2. Sure it makes some sounds at lower speeds but once its rolling I can barely hear it, even when pushing it. Comparing it to my old Ep2 1.6 liter, the 2.2 i-dtec is definitely quieter overall.

BTW I feel sorry for OP. That doesn't sound right. Hopefully they fix it or its not something critical.

Last edited by cazcade; 18th September 2014 at 10:58. Reason: forgot to mention op
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 18th September 2014, 09:16

Okay, maybe not that modern. I have two diesel vans, both Ford Transit Connects, one 2006 1.8 TDDi, the other 2012 1.8 TDCi (which can be considered modern). Both purr like cats, no extra noises. My test drive Civic 1.6 dtec was louder (pinging and klak-klak noise under acceleration of unknown origin) than either of them which is weird, because the vans don't have much (if at all) soundproofing done.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 18th September 2014, 09:23

Quote:
Okay, maybe not that modern. I have two diesel vans, both Ford Transit Connects, one 2006 1.8 TDDi, the other 2012 1.8 TDCi (which can be considered modern). Both purr like cats, no extra noises. My test drive Civic 1.6 dtec was louder (pinging and klak-klak noise under acceleration of unknown origin) than either of them which is weird, because the vans don't have much (if at all) soundproofing done.
Well you might be right. I've heard people mention this before. I'd love for more people to give their input...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 18th September 2014, 09:51
aka Brilliantsportyblue

Car: 2016 FK2 Type R-GT
My 1.6idtec is more vocal with more vibration than my old diesel Renault. Not alarmingly so and it doesn’t bother me. It just seems a trait of the engine.

Along with the usual diesel clatter, when cold you can certainly hear the valves working, ticking type noise, but it gets quiter when warm.

If I give mine some beans when changing to 2nd gear and dump the clutch it certainly takes off with a low end 2-second-or-so klak-klak-klak-followed-by-diesel-clatter as the revs rise, as soon as the turbo’s properly spun up then the throaty diesel vroom begins. Only when changing from first to second and driving it like I stole it.

Again I believe all the above to just be be traits of the tiny 1.6idetc engine. Not issues.

Only actual issue i’ve got is a constant very light ‘tinkling’ metallic vibration noise from the car. Noise is evident when idling or accelerating or just cruising. Trying to figure out where its coming from before I hand it to a dealership and they rip the car apart creating more rattles (I ‘hate’ rattles). I think I’ve pin-pointed it to an exhaust heatshield under the vehicle. I think.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 18th September 2014, 09:55

Hmm Im thinking I need to test the 1.6 again. Im curious weather the 1.6 has more of the classical diesel noise compared to the bigger 2.2 i-dtec.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 18th September 2014, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriory1978 View Post
(I ‘hate’ rattles)
Me too, gives me a rash
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 18th September 2014, 09:58

Quote:
Me too, gives me a rash
Who doesn't
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 18th September 2014, 10:51
Supporter

Car: RK13 Civic G9 5dr Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazcade View Post
Does everyone consider the two i-dtecs engines that noisy?
My 1.6 is the quietest engine of any car I've ever owned or rented. I gave a friend a lift in it last week and he actually commented on how much quieter it is than his car (he drives a diesel Passat).

Obviously there's noise when I push the throttle down, but just cruising about it's very quiet...

Last edited by Basinga; 18th September 2014 at 10:53.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 18th September 2014, 22:08

i had the same problem once and you wouldn't believe it what it was. it was the exhaust heat shield. took it to 3 mechanics and they couldn't figure it out lol. eventually it broke off while i was drive and then the noise disappeared.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 19th September 2014, 06:35 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Azianowar, are you talking about my noise?
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 19th September 2014, 07:03
Living the dream!

Thanked 1,199 Times in 1,018 Posts
It was a common fault of ep3 type r for a rattle at certain revs and I would swear it was the top end of the engine, long story short it was the drive shaft shield and if you loosen the bolts applied a little grease and related tighten the bolts also was fine and it took no more than 2 minutes to do. I have mentioned this as I have been reading of the exhaust heat shield has been mentioned and would make sense how it goes when the engine is warm as after a while few miles this would heat up and expand. I guess if you could heat this up with a hair dryer and then start a cold car you could test the theory if it is this without messing with it.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 19th September 2014, 09:30
aka Brilliantsportyblue

Car: 2016 FK2 Type R-GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by azianowar View Post
i had the same problem once and you wouldn't believe it what it was. it was the exhaust heat shield. took it to 3 mechanics and they couldn't figure it out lol. eventually it broke off while i was drive and then the noise disappeared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamek View Post
Azianowar, are you talking about my noise?
I think he's talking about my 'tinkling' metallic noise.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 21st July 2017, 08:59

Car: 2014 1.6 i-dtec
Sorry for bringing this up after 3 years but I'm having the exact same issue...I will soon be driving from Hamburg to southern Italy and want to make sure it's safe to...May I ask if and how you managed to solve it and what it was? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamek View Post
Hi,
I've got a 1.6 idtec civic. I've noticed that every morning when the engine is cold, it makes a rattling noise when accelerating. It happens for the first few minutes of driving through gears.
I left my car with Honda service for a week so that they could investigate and hear the noise in the morning. They described it as "excessive diesel knock and a pinking sound". They discussed it with Honda and carried out ECU update on all injection systems.
I picked up the car and the noise is still the same.
They only asked me to send the recording to them so that they can send it to Honda to investigate. I'm left with a noisy car....
Please listen to my recording, link below. Any ideas? ((
Thanks in advance

http://tinyurl.com/mcvwheq
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12th March 2018, 10:24
Supporter

Car: Honda Civic Sport 1.6 i-DTEC
Garage
@c1181427 @Adamek Sorry to bring this up again. I'm having the same issue as OP. Any news on this? Thanks!

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Previous Civics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page