Turbo issues?? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2015, 11:59 Thread Starter

Turbo issues??

Hi guys.

I have a 53 plate 1.7cdti.

It has had the turbo replaced under warranty in 2007.

I have owned the car since 2009 without any issues regarding limp mode, until yesterday!

I filled it up with fuel (put in quarter of a tank as it has three quarters in already) Don't think this could cause the issue?

Then drove a few miles to motorway, and as I gently accelerated (50 mph restrictions on M1) up the inclined sliproad it went into limp mode, and revs would not go above 3000.
I got it back home, and twenty minutes later started it, and it revved past 3000 ok.

I drove it this morning, and gave it a blast on the motorway (bit nervous in case it goes into limp mode again!) and it was fine in all gears, and revving easily past 4000 and driving great.

I did not have any lights come on yesterday...

What do you think? get the code read and just keep driving it?

If the turbo's been changed could it be that again? as its a modified part?

any advice would be appreciated. I can't afford trying to replace random bits so am not going to Honda.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2015, 13:14
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,042 Posts
Reading the code would be best, or it's all just guessing. But the turbos on these engines do have a poor history.

Or it was all a one-off and everything will be OK? I wouldn't worry too much unless the problem re-occurs (by which time you could have bought yourself a cheap code reader?)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2015, 13:43
Living the dream!

Thanked 1,199 Times in 1,018 Posts
to be fair this is a 06 onwards forum and you have a 03 so will not be much info here but I do know your engine is a Isuzi unit so may do a google search into it. I would also give it a good thrashing even if that means a motorway drive at 70mph in 3rd to generate some heat and burn of any deposits as it could also be choking up.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2015, 14:00
Ex-Pat Geordie!

Car: 2015 Civic S Navi I-dtec
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G View Post
Reading the code would be best, or it's all just guessing. But the turbos on these engines do have a poor history.

Or it was all a one-off and everything will be OK? I wouldn't worry too much unless the problem re-occurs (by which time you could have bought yourself a cheap code reader?)
Hi Jon,
Talking of Cheap code readers, I'm pretty sure it was you that recommended me one a while ago... Do you still have info on it.. I have a reader but it seems to work on every apart from Honda..

Cheers.
Neil.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2015, 14:07
Bye bye Honda...

Car: Volvo V60 VEA D4 (181)
Thanked 1,265 Times in 1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nturnb View Post
Hi Jon,
Talking of Cheap code readers, I'm pretty sure it was you that recommended me one a while ago... Do you still have info on it.. I have a reader but it seems to work on every apart from Honda..

Cheers.
Neil.
Hi, yes Neil... I did recommend my 2011 spec D900 reader - which works find on other cars (including my Accord) - in a thread about a year or so ago. Unfortunately I do recall someone buying a similar reader and being unable to get it to communicate. I apologised then and I apologise again! There is something slightly 'odd'/non-standard/updated about the Civic interface compared to other Honda vehicles.

I'd now recommend an ELM327 Bluetooth interface, for those that have an Android device.

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Previous Civics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page