One for the MOT Testers??? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2016, 18:32 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2 ctdi Sport
One for the MOT Testers???

Hi there,

Just wondering if any of you guys who are more up-to-date than me on MOT testing requirements could pass comment on the info below please – I think I know the answers but would be good to check.

The story is my mum is currently linking of a new car to replace her 13 year old Civic and has been looking around, including flagging an interest in the new Jazz at the local Honda dealership.Anyhow, over the last few weeks her front brakes have been squeeling and getting steadily worse so the other day despite me taking a look and suggesting she get some replacement pads fitted by a small local garage she took it into the Honda dealer to be looked at.

Anyhow she now has some new brake pads fitted at a fairly steep price but has also been given a Vehicle Health Check that lists a few items, some of which the dealer intimated were potential MOT failures, so she’s now panicking as to whether she should press on with getting a new car bought as her MOT is due at the end of February.

My view is that the Honda dealer is simply trying to upsell work that isn’t realistic on a 12 year old car, or even necessary to pass the MOT and that they are trying to force her hand on a new Jazz.

I’d therefore be grateful on any comments on the list they gave her below:

· Rear wiper split – not tested on the MOT as far as I know.
· A/C Condensor falling apart – not tested on the MOT as far as I know and she’s not bothered about the A/C having done without for a few years.
· Both shocker bump stops separated – not a reason for rejection as far as I know
· Slight play in O/S/F track rod end – not a reason for rejection as far as I know as the MOT wording states excessive play or clearly needing replacement
· O/S/F disc guard falling apart would require bearing – Possibly an MOT fail depending upon how bad as the wording suggests rejection if a brake back plate is loose, missing or excessively deteriorated.

I’m therefore of the opinion that only the last point could be a reason for an MOT failure and probably needs to be sorted.However, I’d expect this could be fixed in the usual way by unbolting the existing one and re-fixing it with a couple of big washers as opposed to the dealers suggestion…or could they just be removed altogether – do they have to be in place?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2016, 18:52
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,143 Times in 3,839 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Split wiper is a quick/cheap fix to DIY and will reduce the testers report.

As you say the others are likely to be advisories which you don't NEED to fix, except possibly the last 2.

Track rod end may come us an advisory or failure, depends how it goes on the day. Could be DIY'd or replaced relatively cheaply.

The last one is likely to fail, testers don't like loose stuff or gear that may fall off. Replacing it is likely to need the hub removing, which could potentially get costly. You could try ripping/cutting off and tidying up what's left over. Or just cut off the loose bit, if it's only a small section. If it's not present, they won't fail it.

As you are potentially replacing the car then I'd put it in for an MOT and see what is flagged up for repair. What they've reported doesn't look like it will cost the earth.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2016, 19:06 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farqui View Post
Split wiper is a quick/cheap fix to DIY and will reduce the testers report.

As you say the others are likely to be advisories which you don't NEED to fix, except possibly the last 2.

Track rod end may come us an advisory or failure, depends how it goes on the day. Could be DIY'd or replaced relatively cheaply.

The last one is likely to fail, testers don't like loose stuff or gear that may fall off. Replacing it is likely to need the hub removing, which could potentially get costly. You could try ripping/cutting off and tidying up what's left over. Or just cut off the loose bit, if it's only a small section. If it's not present, they won't fail it.

As you are potentially replacing the car then I'd put it in for an MOT and see what is flagged up for repair. What they've reported doesn't look like it will cost the earth.
Thanks - I'll take a closer look at the last one when I get the chance and see what I can do easily.

Interestingly the last two were quoted at £200 and £310 respectively!!!

Overall the total value of the work they suggested was £1200 on a car that they recently valued at around £800 for trade in!...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2016, 19:07
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,143 Times in 3,839 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Pfft, HOW MUCH!

Use another garage...
Thanks to Farqui from:
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2016, 20:19

Car: 2011 Civic TI 500
My disc guards (if is what im thinking) on my ek civic were goosed. The garage just broke off what they could, so it didnt give me any trouble. He told me they expensive, but not really needed/worth doing on my 96 civic. Track rod ends should be cheap enough to replace. As farqui says, go to a small garage and get them to look over it and possiblly do the work.

Last edited by ti500; 22nd January 2016 at 20:22.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 3rd February 2016, 20:48 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

well had an interesting day today - took it to my local MOT place I always use.

It got off to a bad start as it broke a driveshaft getting onto the ramp (why didn't Honda spot that??? - it was clearly corroded, necking and on it's way out)...

but one new driveshaft later and it passed with no advisories!
Thanks to Skomaz from:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 3rd February 2016, 20:59
drives a shed now

Car: 2007 CTS GT i-shift
Excellent
I tend to think an MOT is subjective. Mine failed on two missing under-tray clips which he fitted and then passed it.
When I went to pick it up the other tester said he would have passed it anyway as tray was still secure, just slightly sagging in the middle.

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Previous Civics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page