1.8 Petrol vs 2.2 Diesel Civic (06 - 11) - Civinfo
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 1st January 2017, 21:38 Thread Starter

Cool 1.8 Petrol vs 2.2 Diesel Civic (06 - 11)

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a used Civic (06 - 11), but I'm really torn between the 1.8 petrol and 2.2 diesel engines. It's not really the running costs that I'm too bothered about, I'm much more interested in choosing the better and more fun engine to drive. From what I've read, the petrol is 'punchier' at lower speeds, while the diesel has more power in mid-range (what kind of speed is this?). This confuses me slightly though, as the diesel has a slightly quicker 0-60 acceleration which seems to contradict the 'punchier' petrol statement (but I know nothing about cars so please tell me if I'm wrong). I won't be doing an awful lot of long-distance driving, though there will be the occasional trip to see family a couple of hours away. Will I really get to feel the power of the diesel in my 15/20 minute trip to work, or would the petrol feel quicker for this kind of journey?

All the reviews I've read online praise the diesel engine and so that's what I'm leaning towards right now, though I'm not sure if I'd feel the true pulling power on my short trips - any advice would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 1st January 2017, 21:52
Enjoying life

Car: '06 Cosmic Grey EP3 prem CTR
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 1st January 2017, 21:52
Supporter

Hi, welcome to Civinfo.

The diesel will pull noticeable better as it will have a lot more torque, so you can put your foot down and notice it move.
The petrol on the other hand has to be revved for it to pull and it can be a bit sluggish in the lower RPM range. The only reason the 0-60 on the diesel is faster is due to the torque. They are both really good engines, but the diesels can suffer from clutch failure, whereas the 1.8 is generally fine.

Best trying both if you can and deciding. I have the 1.8 and most people are happy with its performance. Just need to rev it more than most other cars, but that's a characteristic of the Vtec engines.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 1st January 2017, 22:31
Supporter

Car: 2007 1.8 EX iShift 5DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeorama View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a used Civic (06 - 11), but I'm really torn between the 1.8 petrol and 2.2 diesel engines. It's not really the running costs that I'm too bothered about, I'm much more interested in choosing the better and more fun engine to drive. From what I've read, the petrol is 'punchier' at lower speeds, while the diesel has more power in mid-range (what kind of speed is this?). This confuses me slightly though, as the diesel has a slightly quicker 0-60 acceleration which seems to contradict the 'punchier' petrol statement (but I know nothing about cars so please tell me if I'm wrong). I won't be doing an awful lot of long-distance driving, though there will be the occasional trip to see family a couple of hours away. Will I really get to feel the power of the diesel in my 15/20 minute trip to work, or would the petrol feel quicker for this kind of journey?

All the reviews I've read online praise the diesel engine and so that's what I'm leaning towards right now, though I'm not sure if I'd feel the true pulling power on my short trips - any advice would be much appreciated!
Well i own a 1.8 Petrol and i can say that i prefer it over diesel. The diesel is well down for having cracked manifolds, chocolate teapot clutch, EGR issues and a whole host of other problems. If you're not doing more than 10k a year i would say petrol all day long. You also don't need to worry about cooling down the turbo as well as the petrol is NA. I also think it sounds better
Bog and Farqui like this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 1st January 2017, 22:39
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,143 Times in 3,839 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Short journeys favour the petrol, the 2.2 takes well over 10 miles to get properly warmed up.

The 1.8 can't be easily/cheaply be tuned but the 2.2 can.

Test drove both and see what suits ya.

Oh and welcome to
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 1st January 2017, 23:06
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
i test drove a 1.8 and it was ok but didnt stand out
ive owned a 2.2 for 7 years its got 160000 miles on the clock on original clutch and im happy with it but i am looking to replace it with a 9g 1.6 diesel if i ever get my self sorted and comit to buying 1
plenty have had clutch issues and plenty have had manifolds replaced from honda with updated items
all cars have some sort of weak point
personaly i think my 2.2 is the best car ive had for reliability and ease of driving i like the power delivery and find it more than quick enough
ive been driving for over 30 years and this is the 4th honda ive had but its also the longest ive ever owned a car so that says something (apart from im tight and dont want to spend my savings) during the time ive had this car ive changed my motorbikes 3 times
the only correct answer is like someone else has said test drive both and see which 1 suits your driving style
both are good cars
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 1st January 2017, 23:50 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks so much for the info guys, it's really useful to have some real-world advice from people who have driven these cars. When you say it will take 10 minutes for the engine to warm up - does this affect power performance or just mpg rating? When people say the diesel has great 'mid-range torque', what do they actually mean by this?

And thanks for the warm welcome!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2017, 00:02
Enjoying life

Overtaking grunt
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2017, 09:07
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,143 Times in 3,839 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
As you say, the long derv warm up adversely affects the mpg compared to what's achievable when warm. This lower initial mpg is probably still better than a petrol tho.

Derv's come into their own on longer journeys.

Mid range grunt is the extra torque you'll have available which means you can overtake/etc without having to change gear as much as a petrol. However you should still drove it properly and pop down the gears if revs are too low, otherwise you'll overstress the weak clutch.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2017, 09:15
Enjoying life

Have you considered the type r? Apart from tax being a bit more and the mpg approx 6 to 10 mpg less than the 1.8 it is a different beast. The 1.8 is a very good car but you won't get much more n/a performance out of it.
Farqui likes this.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2017, 09:26
GUR
Supporter

Car: 2007 CTR
+1 for the Type R. Forget 1.8 if you don't need the practicality of 5 door version.
The Type R is better build in every aspect and much more fun to drive.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2017, 09:51 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

At what kind of speed does this mid-range torque kick in? My only issue with the Type R is the insurance. I have no NCD and despite being 27, they're quoting me 2k and I just can't justify it - otherwise the Type R would be my first choice!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2017, 10:01
Enjoying life

Have you had quotes on the 1.8 and the derv? Might find the derv quite expensive.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2017, 10:05 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Yeah it's a little more than the 1.8 but not enough to put mr off - still 600 less than the Type R and it's less to tax than the petrols which lessens the gap a bit more. I know dervs (check me and my new lingo) are more costly to repair - but by now much generally? I'll be getting a 2009+ version for which they strengthened the clutch so hopefully won't have any problems with that.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2017, 10:24
Supporter

Car: 2.2 Silver SI
I bought the diesel partly because of the easy performance.
Peak torque of 250lb:ft is around 2k rpm and it holds it to around 3k, peak power is a little before 4k with the redline at 4.5k. Around town on my relatively short commute the car is averaging 43mpg on the dash and that increases on longer runs, 50mpg is quite easy if you're not thrashing it but still making progress, 60 should be achievable on the motorway.

Come up behind a slow car, set rpm to 2k+ and it will overtake at will, rapidly. It's a different driving style to a petrol, even a big one with decent torque like my old 325 didn't really come alive until 4k and liked fuel (25-30mpg), the civic is 40 bhp down on paper but is faster 0-60 and feels it.

Last edited by Stonesie; 2nd January 2017 at 10:43.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2017, 11:01
Supporter

the best way is to test drive a few if possible
ive been riding bikes since i was 16 and big ones since i passed my test at 18 im more than happy with how the 2,2 pulls like a train and its no slouch on top end either
its so easy to drive no power bands to try keep in yes if your really low in revs then you would have to drop it down to get the turbo in but believe me its a lot more driver friendly than any other diesel ive drove
but some just prefer a petrol engine so go out and test drive from different garages so you dont piss them off by going back all the time
maybe try and test drive a good mint example and a slightly ruff higher millage model in both
my 2.2 has just under 160,000 miles on as ive said it dosnt use oil still pulls like a train and apart from regular home servicing ive done nothing to the motor
always used castrol edge 0w30 and genuine filters
when its over due a oil change i maybe have to top up very slightly but its nothing really
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2017, 13:08
Supporter

Car: 2009 EXGT auto, Audi TT 190
Worth a mention I think, for someone whose majority of journeys are 6 miles or less(15/20 minutes town driving ?) the diesel car's heater, in the winter months will just be beginning to blow lukewarm. My 3 diesel cars were, and although not a deal breaker for me, some may find it eventually a little annoying.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2017, 16:59
Off-Road Nut!!!

Car: 2009 1.8 Type S GT
Garage
For that sort of daily mileage I would say the 1.8 petrol.
Performance wise its no slouch you just have to get used to
dropping a gear and just let it rev. On the limit it will hit 60mph
in 2nd gear. I average around 40mpg and can just get 50mpg
on a long run if not flying along.
cb550 and Farqui like this.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2017, 19:15
Clutch pedal guru

Stay away from the diesel with a 15-20min journey.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2017, 19:41
Supporter

my journey to work is only around 5 to 10 mins and been doing it for 7 years in this car
Thanks to scaramanga from:

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Previous Civics

Tags
1.8 petrol , 2.2 diesel , engine , fun , honda civic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page