A fast idol fault 2004 honda civic after rebuild - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 21st December 2009, 22:29 Thread Starter
Banned

Car: 2004 1.6 5 dr civic se
A fast idol fault 2004 honda civic after rebuild

hi my 2004 honda civic, recently broke down because of a belt tensioner failure as a result its had all valves changed, cam kit and cam sensor done. since the work has been done it fast idols at 2000 rpm then drops to 1000 rpm for a second or so then returns to 2000 rpm. also the engine is in limpo mode as the engine max's out at 3500 rpm whilst vehicle is in neutral. apparently when driving it drives fine and just has this problem when stood still. checked all air intake doesnt seem to be any leaks, checked for any engine codes on the ecu but nothing showing. but when the map sensors removed the idol problem disappears and the engine runs normal. once its plugged bk in and the faulty map sensor engine codes deleted the fast idol returns. (the faulty map sensor code only comes up after its been unplugged).
any information or advice much appreciated.

regards john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 22nd December 2009, 10:04
Supporter

Car: Golf GTI
I know that it is normal for the d16v1 SOHC vtec engine to limit at 4000rpm when at a standstill, sorry I can't help much further than that
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 13th January 2010, 18:27 Thread Starter
Banned
** Thread starter **

Car: 2004 1.6 5 dr civic se
john 87" thanks for being the only person to even attempt to help with my fluctuation problem however turned out to be an air valve seal had it replaced now the fluctuation problem has gone and this particular engine does max out a 4,000 rpm when vehicle in park to prevent any engine damage...
.........however just as a tip for everyone else if you have high mileage on your car and are considering a timing belt change you may wish to seriously consider a timing kit also mines decided to leave go sparking the beginning of my problems with my honda a bill of 1000 plus

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 15th June 2010, 23:23
Ady

Car: 2004 type R
hi john, im new on here so bare with me. ive got an 2004 uk type R and the tensioner went just this week. ive sourced a replacement engine which im dropping in tomorrow. on inspection today the valve seats have broke and 1 bent inlet valve. think this has broken off a small part of the piston ring which i found in the inlet manifold. head still on at the mo. had the car 5 years and no trouble. gutted! did you find the reason for failure?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11th December 2011, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJMckay View Post
john 87" thanks for being the only person to even attempt to help with my fluctuation problem however turned out to be an air valve seal had it replaced now the fluctuation problem has gone and this particular engine does max out a 4,000 rpm when vehicle in park to prevent any engine damage...
.........however just as a tip for everyone else if you have high mileage on your car and are considering a timing belt change you may wish to seriously consider a timing kit also mines decided to leave go sparking the beginning of my problems with my honda a bill of 1000 plus

hi im having the same problem i am really stuck please help !!! what air valve did you change dont understand what you mean ?

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Previous Civics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page