Ep2 input shaft bearing. - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 13th February 2017, 12:12 Thread Starter

Question Ep2 input shaft bearing.

Hi guys, I've just joined the community today so this is my first post!

So I'm 99.9% sure that my ISB has gone bad and needs replacing.. I just need my local garage to confirm this on Friday...

I've done a ton of research which has led me to this conclusion; but it would be great just to get some opinions from you guys too!

So here goes:
-When my car is running and in neutral it makes a kinda whining/ growling noise UNTIL I press the clutch down and the car will idle silently.

-In 1st 2nd and 3rd I can hear the noise when accelerating - cannot hear it in 4th and 5th but that may be because of road noise..

-I'm having no trouble whatsoever getting into gears..

What are your thoughts?
Is this something that needs to be fixed asap or can it wait a little?

Also how much do you think a garage will charge to take the tranny out, replace the bearings and change the clutch!?

And is there anyone near Oxford Milton Keynes or Aylesbury that would consider doing this cheaper than a garage would? A side job for a mechanic maybe!?

Thanks for reading guys and let me know your thoughts?

Last edited by YouAintReady4ME; 13th February 2017 at 12:49.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 13th February 2017, 12:55
Supporter

Car: 2008 Type R FN2, NHB
Quote:
When my car is running and in neutral it makes a kinda whining/ growling noise UNTIL I press the clutch down and the car will idle silently.
Definitely ISB. I had the exact same symptom. Some people will try to tell you it's the clutch release bearing, but that would cause the noise to happen when the clutch is depressed. This is the other way round.

The reason you hear the noise in the lower gears is because the position of the higher gears "balances" the input shaft, making it wobble in the bearing less.

Gear shift will not be affected, because the input shaft isn't related to the gear linkage system.

I had the ISB done on my FN2 last year (or was it the year before...?) - general advice from most mechanics was that it could last for ages, it could fail completely tomorrow. Better to get it done sooner rather than later.

*edit* forgot to say - I got mine done at Honda. Including clutch, all gearbox bearings (including ISB) and all other minor parts, it was about 1200. But that was on an FN2, and you won't be looking at replacing all bearings unless you want to be belt-and-braces. Allow three or four hours' labour to remove the 'box etc, 140 odd for the clutch kit, and don't forget gearbox oil refill... probably about 500-600 all in.

Last edited by anthropolyte; 13th February 2017 at 12:58.
Thanks to anthropolyte from:
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 13th February 2017, 13:13 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthropolyte View Post
Definitely ISB. I had the exact same symptom. Some people will try to tell you it's the clutch release bearing, but that would cause the noise to happen when the clutch is depressed. This is the other way round.

The reason you hear the noise in the lower gears is because the position of the higher gears "balances" the input shaft, making it wobble in the bearing less.

Gear shift will not be affected, because the input shaft isn't related to the gear linkage system.

I had the ISB done on my FN2 last year (or was it the year before...?) - general advice from most mechanics was that it could last for ages, it could fail completely tomorrow. Better to get it done sooner rather than later.

*edit* forgot to say - I got mine done at Honda. Including clutch, all gearbox bearings (including ISB) and all other minor parts, it was about 1200. But that was on an FN2, and you won't be looking at replacing all bearings unless you want to be belt-and-braces. Allow three or four hours' labour to remove the 'box etc, 140 odd for the clutch kit, and don't forget gearbox oil refill... probably about 500-600 all in.
Thanks for the reply!!
Yeah a lot of posts I had read there were conflicting views about ISB and CRB!its a shame such a great car is let down by a bearing!

500-600 is what I was expecting to hear, I'm taking it to a local garage that hasn't long opened on Friday, so hopefully they will quote less in the hopes of making a good impression.. optimism at its finest! 😂
Thanks again

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 13th February 2017, 17:40
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,143 Times in 3,839 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Welcome to

Where are you based?

As this query is for your EP2 then we may as well move the thread to the relevant section (8th gen, transmission is relevant).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 13th February 2017, 17:57 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farqui View Post
Welcome to

Where are you based?

As this query is for your EP2 then we may as well move the thread to the relevant section (8th gen, transmission is relevant).
Hi I'm based in Buckingham..
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 16th February 2017, 20:45
Supporter

Car: 08 2.2 ES CIV&09 2.2 EX CRV
It may last for ages but the consequences of a complete failure are going to be costly. I'd be getting it done as soon as you can.
The input shaft bearing failed on my girlfriends ep civic. A loud bang and completely undrivable. New box. New clutch. New drive shafts. The gear casing actually ruptured.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 17th February 2017, 07:24 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanmortimer View Post
It may last for ages but the consequences of a complete failure are going to be costly. I'd be getting it done as soon as you can.
The input shaft bearing failed on my girlfriends ep civic. A loud bang and completely undrivable. New box. New clutch. New drive shafts. The gear casing actually ruptured.
Oh Christ! I'm getting a quote today, but I think me and my friend are gonna have a crack at fixing it.. doesn't look too hard

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Previous Civics

Tags
bearing , ep2 , input , isb , shaft

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page