04-reg Civic SE CDTI - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 08:20 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2008 CTR-GT, Milano Red
Garage
04-reg Civic SE CDTI engine "hissing"?

Morning, my partner drives a 2004 Civic CDTI (1.7 I think, the smaller engine not the 2.2 anyway). She rang me at work yesterday after she'd just got to her work carpark to say the car was "hissing and has steam coming from it", I asked if it was overheating and she said she didn't know, she opened the bonnet and couldn't see any obvious source of steam. I took it out for a run last night (some quick country roads I know in a low gear to get some heat into it) but couldn't find anything wrong, there was no hissing or steam, however I do have a couple of questions:

1) When are the fans at the front of the engine bay supposed to run? In my car (a Seat TDI), it's:

engine normal, AC off = fans off
engine normal, AC on = fans on at slow speed
engine overheating = fans on at high speed

but the Civic ones weren't running at all. The engine wasn't overheating (at least the coolant wasn't hot, the gauge was normal) but even with the AC switched on the fans were off, I was expecting them to spin slowly. Should they have come on or am I just expecting the wrong behaviour?

2) There was a sort of metallic sounding "clunk" noise occasionally. It happened with the engine running and also after I switched it off, it wasn't a regular noise so didn't sound like interference of moving parts as I'd expect that to have more of a "rhythm" to it and to only happen with the engine running. Couldn't figure out where it was coming from exactly, but sounded loudest towards the back of the engine bay behind the engine. Any ideas what this could be?

Last edited by g-a-c; 5th May 2010 at 08:40. Reason: better title, too early, I'm not usually such a forum newbie...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 13th May 2010, 12:33
Supporter

Car: Golf GTI
Was this occasional mechanical 'clunk' happening while the AC was on?

If so, this is normal; the honda AC system cycles on and off to maintain an even temperature and reduce fuel consumption.

On every civic i've owned there's been two fans - one for AC operation and one for engine cooling, how many fans are there on the car in question? Also, the fan for the AC will only run while it is at the 'on' part of the cycle.

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Previous Civics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page