2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1994 EG hatch help with central locking please?

5K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  BrettW 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I'm new here and have just recently purchased my first car - a 1994 Honda Civic EG hatch! Although I'm extremely delighted with the purchase there are a few problems I was wondering if someone could help me with?

First of all, I could be being really stupid on this one, however, when I unlock either the driver or passenger door, it doesn't unlock the opposite side. I.e if I'm unlocking the driver's side door my passenger door won't unlock unless I get in the car and unlock it from the inside and vice versa... Both locks seem completely fine if I'm using that side to unlock the car though. Is this common with these cars? Is only one door meant to unlock, or do I have a problem?

My other issue is that my windows fog up very easily. Could this be a sign of water getting in somewhere? I've checked all the carpets after it's just rained and all seem dry, so I'm unsure if this is the case, however, it does seem the most likely wouldn't you agree? Fingers crossed it could be something a lot simpler, but that's what I'm here for. Help and advice! Are there common areas I should look out for when it comes to water getting in the car, or is this a known issue and there's an easier fix to not having the windows fog up so easily?

Like I said any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers in advance,

Brett

See less See more
#2 ·
An outside possibility is that the heater matrix could have a pin hole leak.

I would suggest with the heater temperature set to a high setting, with the heater fan also set to a fast speed, directed to the front screen, if the screen mists up that to me would point to the matrix.

#9 ·
see if you can find any info on the internet about your particular model.
or there might be a mechanic at your local dealer who is old enough to remember the 1990s.

i do recall some of the cars i had around that time had CL that worked using the key in the drivers door, nissan Primera for one.

#8 ·
I had a 1990 1.6 16i basically a crx in a civic shell
many years ago
I can remember it was bad at misting the windows had to run the fan most the time think it was just a issue with the car rather than and leaks or anything
as for central locking cant remember that far back if it had it or not
loved that car

#10 ·
If the car had powered locks there should be electrical wiring into the door. If there was no evidence of any wiring then of course the locks would be mechanical only.

Reactions: Wilmo
#11 ·
Thank you all for helping out! I tried looking up my year and model but nothing really came up unfortunately... I'll do a bit more digging and hopefully find something regarding CL.

Oh, and just thought I'd mention in case this helps at all - when locking the car from either door, both doors lock, it's just they don't unlock together. Could the signify CL or is this just normal even with manual doors?

#13 ·
Oh, and just thought I'd mention in case this helps at all - when locking the car from either door, both doors lock, it's just they don't unlock together. Could the signify CL or is this just normal even with manual doors?
Dilemma resolved! (the central locking's broken)

#15 ·
Haha, whoops, I must admit it slipped my mind until today when I was locking the car... I checked the vehicle owners manual thingy (lol) and looked to see if it mentioned central locking at all, and it did, however it said "for some types" which doesn't really help lol. I tried looking it up on the good ol' google again but couldn't find anything. Just stuff regarding the 1.6 sedan model and not the 1.5 VEI hatch that I have.

Thanks for all the help like I said! Now it's what to do...

#17 · (Edited)
try spraying the insides with a good lubricant like wd40 (there are better out there these days) it maybe the actuators are just sticking
on seat's you drill a small hole in the central locking motor and spray a releasing fluid in and they come back to life

ive done this with my sons leon and 2 different altea's and they are working fine they were similar think they would lock but wouldn't open but that is of the fob not sure if same with just key

also if you remove the inner door card and work the lock with the key there could be a little tag that catches and triggers the central locking
long time since ive worked on a car without key fobs but there are types that do have little tabs that break off or bend

#18 ·
try spraying the insides with a good lubricant like wd40
I will try this, thanks for the suggestion once again!

Also, just wondering if I should be starting a new thread with regards to fixing suspected broken CL, or is this one ok to continue?

The thing is both doors unlock absolutely fine, just not together for whatever reason... Like I stupidly forgot to mention as well, they lock (together) perfectly fine too, so I'm really unsure about what it could be that's causing said issue. In an ideal world, I'd really like to keep the door cards on and not fiddle around with things too much due to them working fine manually. I'm not sure what to do lol, I'm stuck!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.