03 1.7 CTDI Civic Fuel Filter - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 14th February 2011, 15:07 Thread Starter
Supporter

03 1.7 CTDI Civic Fuel Filter

Hi,

I have intermittent power loss on my 03 plate 1.7 CTDI Civic.

I think it may be the fuel filter that needs changing.

Does anyone know where the fuel is located?

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10th March 2011, 12:30

From what i've read online this morning, the fuel filter is a combined unit with the fuel pump, and is located inside the fuel tank...so replacing it sounds difficult and expensive.

I have a similar problem. My 2002 1.7 CDTI malfunction indicator light has just came on (bought the car 4 months ago) and the power level dropped to very low power, without being able to rev above about 2200 rpm.

I switched off, waited about 10 minutes, and power returned, but light stayed on...was ok for a mile or so, then revved hard and the problem returned (light stayed on all the time).

Lot's of people have been having the same problem looking at these forums. Not many posting solutions to the problem though unfortunately.

Some people are saying it might be a faulty turbo? Maybe that's your problem too?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 13th March 2011, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeychops View Post
From what i've read online this morning, the fuel filter is a combined unit with the fuel pump, and is located inside the fuel tank...so replacing it sounds difficult and expensive.

I have a similar problem. My 2002 1.7 CDTI malfunction indicator light has just came on (bought the car 4 months ago) and the power level dropped to very low power, without being able to rev above about 2200 rpm.

I switched off, waited about 10 minutes, and power returned, but light stayed on...was ok for a mile or so, then revved hard and the problem returned (light stayed on all the time).

Lot's of people have been having the same problem looking at these forums. Not many posting solutions to the problem though unfortunately.

Some people are saying it might be a faulty turbo? Maybe that's your problem too?
If yours is less than 7 years old and below 90k you will get this replaced by Honda under warranty. Look for the best (most friendly, helpful) Honda service centre and ask them if your car is above the warranty limits

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 4th May 2011, 18:33

Car: 2003 CTDi 5 door
[QUOTE=spikeychops;828974]From what i've read online this morning, the fuel filter is a combined unit with the fuel pump, and is located inside the fuel tank...so replacing it sounds difficult and expensive.

I know this is an old thread but it might help others to know that the diesel fuel filter on the 1.7 is located on the right of the bulkhead - and requires the removal of the air filter box to access it. It should be replaced every 24k - and the trap at the bottom of the filter unit - drained annually. Make sure you fit new filter correct way round (bleed bolt to bulkhead) and squeeze bulb until it is solid(around 30 times) to refill filter - with fuel - after renewing to ensure car starts...
Straight forward job (although airbox is shoe-horned in). I also find it helps to unscrew the rear support bracket for the filter box (attached to the bulkhead) rather than pull the unit off its rubber mount. Unipart replacement is likely to cost circa 19. Bosch more...

Hope this helps someone...

Last edited by Dbciv; 4th May 2011 at 18:48.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 4th May 2011, 18:37

Car: 2003 CTDi 5 door
Ooops!

Last edited by Dbciv; 4th May 2011 at 18:40. Reason: sorry duplicate posting
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 3rd February 2012, 20:19

[quote=Dbciv;878090]
Quote:
Quote:

I know this is an old thread but it might help others to know that the diesel fuel filter on the 1.7 is located on the right of the bulkhead - and requires the removal of the air filter box to access it. It should be replaced every 24k - and the trap at the bottom of the filter unit - drained annually. Make sure you fit new filter correct way round (bleed bolt to bulkhead) and squeeze bulb until it is solid(around 30 times) to refill filter - with fuel - after renewing to ensure car starts...
Straight forward job (although airbox is shoe-horned in). I also find it helps to unscrew the rear support bracket for the filter box (attached to the bulkhead) rather than pull the unit off its rubber mount. Unipart replacement is likely to cost circa 19. Bosch more...

Hope this helps someone...
i hope and pray this my problem regarding power loss on acceleration..see my post

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Previous Civics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page