Civic not pulling away cleanly - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 21st May 2011, 17:16 Thread Starter

Civic not pulling away cleanly

I have 1999 Honda Civic with cvt transmission 1600cc, vtec. Most of the time it works ok, but after it's warmed up properly it misbehaves. When I stop at a junction etc. and then try to pull away, the engine revs rise very slowly and it takes a good second or 2 before the car starts moving. It's almost as if it's trying to pull away in a very high gear. As a result I have narrowly avoided a few collisions as I try to pull away and other drivers expect me to move more quickly than I do. Once I do get moving, the car behaves perfectly, until I stop at the next junction etc. The transmission oil has been completely drained, flushed and replaced with new Honda CVT fluid, and the car is generally in good order. The problem seems to have got worse since I had a new timing belt fitted - although that may just be my imagination. Also fuel consumption is very high since the belt change. Many thanks for reading this, and for any help you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 27th May 2011, 07:55
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
I know little of your model but it sounds like the CVT is faulty and thus giving you the wrong ratio at low speeds. That would also explain the fuel consumption because obviously if you're in too low "a gear" you're having to compensate with a heavier foot.

I think CVT runs on a belt system so it could perhaps be the belts that need replacing - maybe they've stretched or something - like I say I know little of this model.

My advice is go to a Honda dealer and have it inspected but it sounds to me like potentially a very expensive repair unless it just needs new belts in which case it may be more reasonable.
Thanks to RA108 from:
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 27th May 2011, 08:21

Car: K20 EG Sleeper :)
Your clutch sounds like its on its way out. Have you had the fluid changed recently? If it looks green its probably needs it. Whats the bite point like?
Thanks to Smigzy from:

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 27th May 2011, 12:40 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigzy View Post
Your clutch sounds like its on its way out. Have you had the fluid changed recently? If it looks green its probably needs it. Whats the bite point like?

Thanks for taking the time to help out Smiqzy, but my car is an automatic (CVT transmission), so no clutch.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 27th May 2011, 12:41

Car: K20 EG Sleeper :)
Doh! My bad! LOL
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 27th May 2011, 12:46 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsone View Post
I know little of your model but it sounds like the CVT is faulty and thus giving you the wrong ratio at low speeds. That would also explain the fuel consumption because obviously if you're in too low "a gear" you're having to compensate with a heavier foot.

I think CVT runs on a belt system so it could perhaps be the belts that need replacing - maybe they've stretched or something - like I say I know little of this model.

My advice is go to a Honda dealer and have it inspected but it sounds to me like potentially a very expensive repair unless it just needs new belts in which case it may be more reasonable.

Thanks for the suggestions Alsone. I'll take it to the local dealer and see what they've got to say about it. Having said that, it is quite an old car - but a good one - and I don't relish the idea of spending a lot of money on it. If the dealer starts talking money (and Honda dealers always talk big money), I might be inclined to scrap it. The rest of it is good nick and it might bring in a couple of quid as a donor vehicle. Cheers.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 27th May 2011, 12:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigzy View Post
Doh! My bad! LOL
Don't worry about it mate. I'll give you some of my pills if it'll make you feel better.

Civinfo > Other Hondas > Previous Civics

Tags
acceleration , cvt , fuel comsumption , pull away , timimg belt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page