Firefox 2.0 - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 6th February 2008, 17:52 Thread Starter

Firefox 2.0

Using Firefox 5.0 on my home computer.
Except for Civinfo, which is bad on Firefox (chatbox never load, cant use smilies etc. ).
Do anyone know of any patches or do I have to keep the old I,E?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 6th February 2008, 18:08
pjr
Supporter

Car: Mk VII Golf GTI
Eco display
I've got the most recent version of Firefox and the chatbox & smilies work fine .

You can download from Mozilla Firefox in English | Mozilla Europe

Although the most recent version number would seem to be 2.0.0.11

firefox.JPG
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 6th February 2008, 18:25
hgt
Supporter

Yep ! me too no problems at all with Firefox

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 6th February 2008, 18:56 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjr View Post
I've got the most recent version of Firefox and the chatbox & smilies work fine .

You can download from Mozilla Firefox in English | Mozilla Europe

Although the most recent version number would seem to be 2.0.0.11

Attachment 7851
Weird! Now it works !! Sacrifying a goat helps!

(I got the same version as you. Installed yesterday.)
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 6th February 2008, 19:28
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
What are the benefits over IE???
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 6th February 2008, 19:40
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
In essence because it works properly, and there are a thousand add ons to make it work the way you want it to.

IE still fails to display stuff properly, is still insecure, and crashes easily. Click here to crash IE.

Shameless C&P from somewhere else:

Depending on whom you ask, Internet Explorer users make up between 60% and 80% of the market share in browser usage. You might be wondering what all the others are using. A significant proportion of those eschewing Internet Explorer have adopted Firefox, the most popular browser by the Mozilla project. But why?
Firefox has a lot of benefits to appeal to browser users of all levels. Firstly, if you're still using IE 6, you won't yet have experienced the magic of tabbed browsing. Instead of having to open web pages in new windows, Firefox lets you open them in a new tab within your current browser window. Tabs are displayed in a row across the top of your browser, and you can easily move between them by clicking them or using a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Tab in Windows). You can open a link in a new tab by right-clicking and selecting "Open Link in New Tab", by clicking the link with your middle mouse button or scroll wheel (sometimes you'll need to reconfigure your mouse drive to fix this), or by holding Ctrl and clicking the link.
For a long time, this was the main selling point of Firefox (even though Opera, Safari and other browsers except for Internet Explorer have had this feature for years). However, if you're using Internet Explorer 7, which has finally caught up and now offers tabbed browsing, you may be wondering what further benefits Firefox offers.
Internet Explorer 7 may offer tabbed browsing, but Firefox does it so much better. You can customise the way that tabs behave very easily, and if you close a tab by accident, in the History menu is an indispensable feature which allows you to re-open recently closed tabs – it even opens them in the same position as before you closed it.
That's not all there is to it, though. I've always thought it was a crying shame that tabbed browsing was touted as the most exciting feature of Firefox, because there are so many other fantastic capabilities which tended to go unnoticed, I suppose because of the sheer usefulness of tabbed browsing.
A major plus is increased security. Firefox really looks after you on the web. It won't run any scripts or download any files at all without asking you first, so you can feel safe browsing unknown sites with it. Its built-in pop-up blocker is of a very high standard. Firefox will also warn you if it thinks you've navigated to a "phishing" site – a site which attempts to defraud visitors by imitating the secure login page of a company like PayPal or a bank. You can also clear your private data very easily from your browser, meaning that if you're using it on a shared computer, you can feel sure that your details aren't retrievable by subsequent users. Firefox updates regularly and automatically, so you can be sure that you have the latest, most secure version.
Other features include inline spell checking; session restore (if Firefox crashes or has to close to install an update, it remembers all the tabs you had open and any text you had typed into forms, and restores these at your command if you ask it to – you can also ask it to automatically restore all your tabs every time you start up Firefox); an integrated search bar with several leading search engines already added, as well as the option to add more of your favourites; live bookmarks to manage and view your RSS feeds; live titles (which show you a live update of the most important information on a page); a great bookmark organisation interface; and excellent accessibility, with dozens of keyboard shortcuts. There are also more technical benefits. Firefox supports many software standards, including PNG images, DOM and SVG. There are many plug-ins which developers will find particularly useful.
One capability I'm inclined to go on about a bit is Firefox's fantastically useful keyword search feature. Wherever you see a search box on the web – Wikipedia, Internet Movie Database, your own website – you can right-click that box and choose "Add a Keyword for This Search…" Then, just choose a name for your keyword search - "IMDB Search", for example – and a nice, snappy keyword – like "imdb" - and then whenever you want to search the Internet Movie Database, you can just type "imdb" and then your search term into the Firefox address bar, and the search results page will be shown automatically. This saves you bookmarking sites that you always want to search, and there's no need to find and click on the search field.
Also, the intra-page searching function in Firefox is just really good. When you press "Ctrl+F", a slim little toolbar opens at the bottom of the window (easily closed by clicking the cross at one end), with your cursor already in the search box. It searches as you type, highlighting terms as you add more letters, and if the word or phrase isn't on the page, the search box turns red. It automatically starts again at the top of the page once it's reached the bottom. You can also opt to highlight all instances of the term on the page.
But that's not all. Firefox is customisable to an incredibly high degree. You can download all sorts of skins and button sets for Firefox, to make it look like your own. (I prefer a super-compact skin which makes the buttons really small and gives me as much screen space as possible for web page content, but others, including visually impaired users, may well prefer some of the chunkier designs.) Also, there are hundreds (literally) of add-ons. The nice thing is that Mozilla, being, of course, a big proponent of open source software, encourages the use of add-ons, and even offers reviews of its favourites.
There have been some criticisms of Firefox: it's a bit slower than many other browsers (although its Cocoa-based browser for OS X, Camino, is rather quicker), and some users have reported high memory use, although this is less of a problem in the most recent version. Firefox 2.0 does seem to be faster to load than IE7, though.
Of course, you might try out Firefox and find that you still prefer Internet Explorer, but I find this highly unlikely. Firefox outclasses most other browsers in almost every field, and what's more, it's open source – constantly being improved and updated by passionate and dedicated developers, with a chance of version 3.0 being released as soon as November 2007.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 6th February 2008, 19:40 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Don't know yet. Just like to be a bit odd.

Well, to be serious, my IE was old (PC is 3 yrs), and I tried to upgrade it and didn't like what I got. Then downloaded Firefox because my brother in law got one.
He is a pilot and hence should be listened to .
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 6th February 2008, 19:42
Administrator

Eco display
GHGH:

I'll amend the title of the thread because it will get lots of people excited (esp when FF3 is not yet released from beta).
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 6th February 2008, 19:45 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks! That was a handful from another pilot.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 7th February 2008, 07:53
Wine and cooking !

Car: 2008, Grey Mica 1.5 Materia
I'm trying three browser at the moment; IE 7, Firefox 3, and Safari ! Each one have nice features but found Safari pretty good

Last edited by l-noel; 7th February 2008 at 12:44. Reason: Mixing Firefox and Thunderbird... must read my message before posting !
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 7th February 2008, 08:02 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I normally change browser once every decade, and this time it was three days ago .
Firefox needed a couple of days to work properly, somehow.
Now I like it very much, and better than IE7 on my work PC which I'm writing at just now.
Being Norwegian I probably should have chosen Opera.....
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 7th February 2008, 08:07
Administrator

Eco display
Opera is good, but there aren't the same number of extensions and I find it renders the pages slowly or inconsistently.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 7th February 2008, 08:12 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

So I've heard.
But I'm not a very advanced user.
It stopped at getting permanent weather forecast on the Firefox....
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 7th February 2008, 08:49
Loving It!!!

I always use Firefox - I cannot stand IE7 - I look after my companies IT network and will not let the pc's update to IE7 - Too slow for my liking.

Apparently most computer hackers use Firefox because they a well aware of the failings and vulnerabilities of Internet Explorer (or what they call Internet Exploiter)

Last edited by Maquis73; 7th February 2008 at 09:09.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 7th February 2008, 09:08

Car: 2007 2.2 ES
Smile Firefox

I've been using Firefox and Thunderbird (email) for some time now and fint it better than IE in two main respects ;

1 It IS faster than IE and

2 It isn't MICROSOFT

Nuff said
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 7th February 2008, 10:56 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

That it isn't Microsoft is a point for me too.
And don't forget it has weather forecast
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 7th February 2008, 13:47
Supporter

Car: 2016 1.6 Diesel, Sporty Blue
I use the nightly builds of Firefox 3.0 - it renders pages FASTER than even 2.0 could. I have also yet to see it crash in the past 2-3 months of using this early release, it is very stable.

AdBlock Plus and the NoScript add-ons and you have the fastest and safest web browser on the planet
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 7th February 2008, 14:02
Administrator

Eco display
I find I just can't live without Google Browser Sync, so I'm holding back on FF3 (though I have it installed on one machine here for testing this site, and I love it). Given that the whole bookmarks system has changed I guess GBS will never be compatible, so I need to get my act together and find a different system...
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 7th February 2008, 15:38
Dandy Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
I use the nightly builds of Firefox 3.0 - it renders pages FASTER than even 2.0 could. I have also yet to see it crash in the past 2-3 months of using this early release, it is very stable.

AdBlock Plus and the NoScript add-ons and you have the fastest and safest web browser on the planet
Nightly builds of Firefox 3??
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 7th February 2008, 17:33
Administrator

Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuMcBill View Post
Nightly builds of Firefox 3??
Index of /pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk

Civinfo > Welcome > Site suggestions, feedback and rules

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page