Freedom of Speech! - Civinfo
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th November 2006, 08:46 Thread Starter
Definately Female!
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Car: 1.8 ES Civic 2012, white
Join Date: 11th May 2006
Location: Middlesex ENGLAND
Posts: 2,966
Thanks: 71
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Unhappy Freedom of Speech!

Just read the latest posts in the recycycle bin and it seems just recently everytime someone says something against the Civic, they are classsed as "serial moaners" and made to feel like they shouldn't have their say!

I thought forums were about freedom of speech and to get your opinion/thoughts across.
Topcat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th November 2006, 09:18
Administrator
 
Pottsy's Avatar
 
Car: Jag XF 3.0
Join Date: 10th April 2006
Location: Leics ENGLAND
Posts: 12,496
Thanks: 127
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Not at all.

The posts that have been moved there (from the radio thread) are only a handful of posts and have been moved because they looked like a personal argument about to kick off, where the only discussion was the worthiness of the other posts.

All the original posts complaining about and discussing the radio are all still in place, in the original thread.

There is no freedom of speech here. Arguments and insults get recycled, non-Civic stuff gets moved to the non-Civic section, swearing gets censored so our site can get past corporate firewalls, and there's no illegal stuff posted so that I am not done as the publisher of illegal material (and I want to keep the site clean and professional).

TC, this place is free to get your opinions and thoughts across, but I can't be bothered with flame/insult wars and the like.

P
Pottsy is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th November 2006, 09:20
Administrator
 
Pottsy's Avatar
 
Car: Jag XF 3.0
Join Date: 10th April 2006
Location: Leics ENGLAND
Posts: 12,496
Thanks: 127
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
PS - and finally.... Most forums do delete posts that are against the rules, and I dislike that concept. That's why there is a recycle bin, so the posts are still visible.
Pottsy is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th November 2006, 10:16
 
Join Date: 13th October 2006
Posts: 184
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
If you read my reply you can see that I was joking with Slim Boy but I can see how some may have seen both of our posts as niggly and flamesome.

I agree that boards do need to keep things under control and it is hard to tell if stuff is about to kick off or not.

I run my own forum on my website but my members are all guys I know so there is no need to moderate at all but here it is a completely different story.

Fair play Pottsy. (But thanks Topcat too for pointing this out )
TheBull is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th November 2006, 10:31
 
elfa7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 8th May 2006
Location: Cheshire ENGLAND
Posts: 1,712
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBull View Post
If you read my reply you can see that I was joking with Slim Boy but I can see how some may have seen both of our posts as niggly and flamesome.

I agree that boards do need to keep things under control and it is hard to tell if stuff is about to kick off or not.

I run my own forum on my website but my members are all guys I know so there is no need to moderate at all but here it is a completely different story.

Fair play Pottsy. (But thanks Topcat too for pointing this out )
I thought it was going to end up with "handbags at ten paces"
elfa7 is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th November 2006, 10:32
 
Join Date: 31st October 2006
Location: Ankara, Turkey TR
Posts: 477
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
PS - and finally.... Most forums do delete posts that are against the rules, and I dislike that concept. That's why there is a recycle bin, so the posts are still visible.
Well, I think that makes this forum at least one step ahead of others with regard to freedom of speech... Thanks Pottsy...
Korkut Varol is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th November 2006, 10:37
 
Join Date: 3rd November 2006
Posts: 47
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Surely bit of playful banter between users shouldn't be censored. I understand the need to stop any abusive or insulting posts but I have PM'd TheBull and we both agree that there was nothing in it and it was just a bit of fun.

Surely posts should only be removed for there potential personal content if a complaint is made by one of the parties. We don't want a sterile forum where there is no interaction between the users.
Slim Boy Fat is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th November 2006, 11:04
Supporter
 
Join Date: 6th August 2006
Location: England ENGLAND
Posts: 2,763
Thanks: 44
Thanked 65 Times in 56 Posts
iTrader: (0)
I think if a few 'smilies' had been used the fun side would have come across better.
allan40alt is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th November 2006, 11:10
Administrator
 
Pottsy's Avatar
 
Car: Jag XF 3.0
Join Date: 10th April 2006
Location: Leics ENGLAND
Posts: 12,496
Thanks: 127
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Boy Fat View Post
Surely bit of playful banter between users shouldn't be censored. I understand the need to stop any abusive or insulting posts but I have PM'd TheBull and we both agree that there was nothing in it and it was just a bit of fun.

Surely posts should only be removed for there potential personal content if a complaint is made by one of the parties. We don't want a sterile forum where there is no interaction between the users.
This forum seems to be about 80% playful banter! Which is great. When I was reading the thread with Jayne, she thought it was just jesting, so maybe I should listen to her more often...

Since SBF and TB have agreed it was banter - I'll bung the posts back and I'll put this thread it the site suggestions area.

P

PS - There is no censorship here, just filing in the right place!
Pottsy is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th November 2006, 11:47
 
Join Date: 3rd November 2006
Posts: 47
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
This forum seems to be about 80% playful banter! Which is great. When I was reading the thread with Jayne, she thought it was just jesting, so maybe I should listen to her more often...

Since SBF and TB have agreed it was banter - I'll bung the posts back and I'll put this thread it the site suggestions area.

P

PS - There is no censorship here, just filing in the right place!
Nice one Pottsy, think if we had included a few smilies it would have come across better I won't ever let a thread get out of hand, either my own or anybody elses. Think we all understand where the limits are and would self regulate if anyone crossed those limits. As I have said in a previous post only just discovered the forum (and now ordered my sticker ) and it is fantastic. This has just reinforced that opinion, well done.
Slim Boy Fat is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th November 2006, 12:21
Super Moderator
 
TTDegs's Avatar
 
Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
Join Date: 4th August 2006
Location: Cardiff WALES
Posts: 7,762
Thanks: 97
Thanked 106 Times in 97 Posts
iTrader: (3)
As it was me who moved the posts in the first place, thought I'd best put an appearance in on this thread

And it's just to say that I'm happy that everyone is happy again
TTDegs is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th November 2006, 13:48 Thread Starter
Definately Female!
** Thread starter **
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Car: 1.8 ES Civic 2012, white
Join Date: 11th May 2006
Location: Middlesex ENGLAND
Posts: 2,966
Thanks: 71
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
Not at all.

The posts that have been moved there (from the radio thread) are only a handful of posts and have been moved because they looked like a personal argument about to kick off, where the only discussion was the worthiness of the other posts.

All the original posts complaining about and discussing the radio are all still in place, in the original thread.

There is no freedom of speech here. Arguments and insults get recycled, non-Civic stuff gets moved to the non-Civic section, swearing gets censored so our site can get past corporate firewalls, and there's no illegal stuff posted so that I am not done as the publisher of illegal material (and I want to keep the site clean and professional).

TC, this place is free to get your opinions and thoughts across, but I can't be bothered with flame/insult wars and the like.

P
I agree with that, I dont think i got my point across properly, I dont agree with arguements etc, but quite often someone will say they are not happy with somthing on the Civic and then others start accusing them of moaning or being over the top in their complaint.

I guess the problem with everything in writing is you can not always guess the tone of the comments made so it is easy to take things the wrong way.
Topcat is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th November 2006, 16:07
 
Bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 3rd July 2006
Location: Medway, Kent ENGLAND
Posts: 1,359
Thanks: 3
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Not that it really matters, I also felt at the time (and still do to an extent) that those posts were not all fun and banter. At least it isd cleared up now.

The mods and admin on the forum do a sterling job, IMO. Most threads are left to run their course, and rarely and only when needed, the right action is usually taken.

TC, I don't think unhappy people and their posts are a problem at all. The vast majority are people innocently trying to get help and/or support for their problems. What I have noticed a few times is that some people seem to go out of their way to have a b*tch about the car or Honda, sometimes completely off topic from the thread. It is this that some may find tiring, not people with problems genuinly after help.

Off the record (is that possible?) I reckon one or two members are actually people from other manufacturers sent here to put off potential buyers. Seriously.
Bungle is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th November 2006, 16:30 Thread Starter
Definately Female!
** Thread starter **
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Car: 1.8 ES Civic 2012, white
Join Date: 11th May 2006
Location: Middlesex ENGLAND
Posts: 2,966
Thanks: 71
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post

Off the record (is that possible?) I reckon one or two members are actually people from other manufacturers sent here to put off potential buyers. Seriously.
Do you think so? Hope you dont think I am one of them
Topcat is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th November 2006, 16:51
 
Bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 3rd July 2006
Location: Medway, Kent ENGLAND
Posts: 1,359
Thanks: 3
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader: (0)
No, not you Topcat!
Bungle is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th November 2006, 16:56 Thread Starter
Definately Female!
** Thread starter **
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Car: 1.8 ES Civic 2012, white
Join Date: 11th May 2006
Location: Middlesex ENGLAND
Posts: 2,966
Thanks: 71
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
No, not you Topcat!
Phew !! Cos you know that deep down I am a secret Civic fan
Topcat is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th November 2006, 17:10
 
Bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 3rd July 2006
Location: Medway, Kent ENGLAND
Posts: 1,359
Thanks: 3
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader: (0)
I am just a highly pessimistic and suspicious person. I am going to shut up about my big conspiracy theories now.....
Bungle is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th November 2006, 19:08
 
Join Date: 13th October 2006
Posts: 184
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Off the record (is that possible?) I reckon one or two members are actually people from other manufacturers sent here to put off potential buyers. Seriously.
I never thought of that....sneaky, very sneaky.

BTW, I was sure I threw a few smileys in there, is it possible they got lost?

Oops....is BTW allowed? Sorry.
TheBull is offline  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 30th November 2006, 19:37
 
Ancient Nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 5th May 2006
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 347
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
I reckon one or two members are actually people from other manufacturers sent here to put off potential buyers. Seriously.
I'm not honestly. It could be a great car, but Honda and my dealer have got to get their finger out and give my problems, including the missing spare wheel, some attention. At present I still have the impression of no interest whatsoever.

Problems do occur. If they are fixed quickly and efficiently, I have no problem whatever - I'd rather that than have fewer problems that persist. However, so far Honda have fallen down badly
Ancient Nerd is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 1st December 2006, 10:59
King of the rodeo
 
czechplastik's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24th October 2006
Location: Belfast IE
Posts: 4,819
Thanks: 5
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Little grey men from Volkswagen eh?
czechplastik is offline  
Reply

  Civinfo > Welcome > Site suggestions, feedback and rules

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome