Use of grammar - split posts - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 31st December 2006, 09:39 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANTACIVIC View Post
yer would love to know what they say , have they got anything up there sleave for the sat nav ? be nice to get a poi update maybe evenn safty cams on there , we await you post rich rob
I presume you meant :-

"Yes I would love to know what they say. Have they got anything up there sleeve for the Sat Nav? It would be nice to get a POI update maybe even safety cameras on there. We await your post Rich, Rob"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 31st December 2006, 13:16
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Unbelievable!

Parky, you knew exactly what IWANTACIVIC meant! You just thought you'd be clever! I hate it when people like you comment on others people’s grammar and spelling, all it does it put people off from posting. If you think forums are a about demonstrating your language skills, I really think you are missing the point! This is a great forum with lots of information and views for EVERYBODY!

At least he got RichRobs’ name right!

Last edited by Bog; 31st December 2006 at 13:22.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 31st December 2006, 13:42

Exclamation

I comletely agree this is not about belittling people but about a group exchanging info.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 31st December 2006, 14:15
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Handbags away chaps...
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2007, 01:03 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post
I comletely agree this is not about belittling people but about a group exchanging info.
I agree, but you have to be able to read what has been posted and sometimes it is not very easy from some posters.

As we are supposed to be of driving age here I just thought we might be able to use language that everyone can understand without having to decode slang, work out what words mean and where sentences start and end.

To me the style and tone used is lazy and disrespectful, an opinion I think I am entitled to. We all make mistakes when we type, but what is hard about reading what you are going to post and correct the really obvious errors.

The post I pointed out was one of the better one's others can take 2 or 3 reads before you understand what is being written.

I'm more than happy to not post here again if that is what people want.

Personally I don't see an issue with trying to improve the level of English (or other language) used here.

Maybe I'm just too old ! I don't want to speak in 'txt' talk or have to try to decipher it.

Last edited by Parky; 1st January 2007 at 01:06.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2007, 02:28
Supporter

Car: 2015 1.6 civic tourer sr
Eco display
Send a message via AIM to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via MSN to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Skype™ to IWANTACIVIC
im sorry parky you could not read my post.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2007, 09:45
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
As everyone knows, one of the rules here is "no txt spk". Sometimes though, some posters genuinely find it more difficult to write perfect English than others, for reasons that may not be apparent to the reader.

IWANT has apologised, and you don't see that very often when this type of thread appears on forums - so the thread has not been binned, but is still open for polite discussion!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2007, 10:46

I'm with Parky all the way on this. I guess it is an age thing but, at the very least,surely it can't be that difficult to start each sentence with a capital letter?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2007, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
As everyone knows, one of the rules here is "no txt spk". Sometimes though, some posters genuinely find it more difficult to write perfect English than others, for reasons that may not be apparent to the reader.

IWANT has apologised, and you don't see that very often when this type of thread appears on forums - so the thread has not been binned, but is still open for polite discussion!
I think Pottsy has it spot on. As long as people try to post comprehensible english it's good enough for me. This does appear to be a very grown up forum full of more mature members, which is a enjoyable change from normal car forums. The benefits of this are great - useful information, well structured posts, discussion that's enjoyable and easy to read and no boasts about how many people members have wasted in their blingin' cars complete with neons, which have been insured in their parents names.

As mentioned, some people have genuine difficulty in doing this, whether this be due to dyslexia, lack of time, perhaps their english skills aren't that great or it may just be down to the fact that they don't write much these days, even things like a lack of keyboard/computer skills is enough to make the poster write in txt speak or use too many appreviations. On the other hand, they may just be lazy.

Taking my own posts for example. I try to write in sentences and use a little structure in what I post, but I know I'm terrible at languages, suck at spelling and don't even understand what grammer is. This isn't helped by the fact I'm a Programmer by day. As I don't type or write perfect English all day long, I'm pretty sure my language skills have went downhill over the last few years and for that I apologise. Now, who wants to pick out the spelling mistakes?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2007, 11:37

Send a message via MSN to Andrea Send a message via Yahoo to Andrea
It is a fair point that is being made here BUT i really think that it could have been highlighted alot better.

Parky, you didnt know when you posted the first post if the person you were refering to had dyslexia or anything like that, i just think you could have bought this issue to attention without targeting one member.
(did i spell anything wrong? sorry didnt have time to copy and paste into word to make sure its perfect )

Last edited by Andrea; 1st January 2007 at 11:38. Reason: Spelling!!!!!!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2007, 11:45

I'm not including people with dyslexia, but there is 'Spell Checker', for the rest of us.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2007, 12:11
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Or just use Firefox, which checks your spelling as you go along:

spelling.gif
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2007, 12:35
Supporter

I am relatively new to forums, in fact, this is the first I have ever posted on. One of the things that has impressed me about this one is that I can understand what people mean, unlike some forums Iíve visited. I hope people are not put off posting just because they have difficulty with English grammar!
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2007, 13:03

An even better solution.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2007, 14:46
Definately Female!

Car: 1.8 ES Civic 2012, white
First you can not moan and now you have to be perfect at typing, grammer and spelling!!

What next?
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2007, 15:01
Supporter

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2007, 15:07
King of the rodeo

Parky, you make a good point about posting being legible and easily understood but there was no need to make it personal. Hopefully his issue has been resolved now.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2007, 15:11
Supporter

Yes, just be grateful that this site is in English and not Japanese else we would all have problems!
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2007, 15:12
King of the rodeo

Or wingdings!
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 1st January 2007, 16:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan40alt View Post
Yes, just be grateful that this site is in English and not Japanese else we would all have problems!
I thought it was, sometimes !!

Civinfo > Welcome > Site suggestions, feedback and rules

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page