post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 13th June 2018, 10:59 Thread Starter
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Wiki Down Again

3rd time this year.

This will be the very recent Cloud migration that has broken it. Along with no proper testing, again.

Plus other issues that we've noticed and whywe asked for some test posts yesterday.

What a shambles.

Again.

From 2006 to 2015 we had zero issues on this forum. Then since VS took over I've lost count.
deni.babe, Farqui, M8TJT and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 14th June 2018, 17:50
Supporter

Car: 2010 1.8 SI Black Pearl
Garage
New security update and Wiki down, coincidence?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 14th June 2018, 17:52
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,144 Times in 3,840 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky70 View Post
New security update and Wiki down, coincidence?
Almost, the forum moving to the Cloud broke the Wiki.

The security changes haven't occurred yet.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 14th June 2018, 18:01
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farqui View Post
Almost, the forum moving to the Cloud broke the Wiki.

The security changes haven't occurred yet.
Have not got a clue what this means, why can they not leave well alone.
But thank you for the update.
Kremmen and Farqui like this.

Last edited by tricky70; 14th June 2018 at 18:11.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 18th June 2018, 20:53
Supporter

Garage
Wiki

Wiki not working,what have they done this time?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th June 2018, 05:46 Thread Starter
Administrator
** Thread starter **

Eco display Eco display
Garage
They broke it, again, with the cloud migration.

We have mentioned it to Civ_Admin numerous times in the last few days, probably nearly a week now, and have demanded priority 1 attention but they seem uninterested and just reply that they have asked tech for a speedy fix.

They seem to be constantly fighting us instead of working with us, very frustrating. Look at the 'manage attachments' upload button issue. No resolution in sight because they deem it unimportant.

As you hint, this is now the third time this year at least that they have broken an area that has never given us any issues till they took over and meddled.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th June 2018, 16:34
Supporter

Car: 2007 Galaxy FK2 EX
Who are these cowboys! The wiki is invaluable. Don't suppose there is any other way to access the information offline?

I don't know if its against forum rules but when/if they feel like fixing it, I'm tempted to copy and past some vital bits to my laptop as it always seems broke.

Glad I saw this post I as I was about to post another topic and I'm sure the Admin are sick of dealing with issues when there is nothing they can physically do.
Kremmen likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th June 2018, 17:11 Thread Starter
Administrator
** Thread starter **

Eco display Eco display
Garage
The latest info they have posted is that the techs are now involved with the https change.

I've pointed out that they should fix the cloud migration bugs first before moving to https but do they care

I've posted to them many times how important the wiki is, but again, do they care.

Infuriating
Farqui and M8TJT like this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 19th June 2018, 21:26

Garage
It's not ideal but you can access it from web archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20171217203908/http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

(Copy/Paste - I can't post links yet due to post count)
Kremmen and pauly1207 like this.
Thank You to hciv9 from 2 Users:
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2018, 15:08
Supporter

Car: 2012 2.2 I-Dtec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civ_Admin View Post
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself to you all. My name is Philip, I am a community manager for AutoGuide.com and will be joining the site to take over the webmaster duties for Pottsy.

I am here to help primarily with the technical end of things and help make the jobs of the current Mods/Admins easier. I posted a real basic run down to answer common questions below. If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to post them or send me a message.

What are our intentions?

We bring reliability, support and the infrastructure needed to ensure that the community will be around for years to come. Itís our goal to work with your board staff to help provide the resources and required to give this community a broader reach, to attract new members to better the overall knowledge shared in the community.

Will leadership change?

Continuity is the focus here, You as the membership work very hard to keep building this community while staff keep the walls and the roof up in this place; We are primarily here to make sure the lights stay on. Every community is unique and should always be respected in that regard. You guys have established your own unique rules and regulations and a strong reputation that is carried by all of this and itís paramount that we maintain this level of integrity.

What am I here for?

My primary role is to be the technical contact as I said earlier you all built the foundation and keep the roof from falling, I am here keeping the lights on inside. We will be on the forum checking in daily to make sure regular maintenance is all taken care of and keep things running smoothly from behind the scenes. We will also be setting up a help desk on the site for when you have questions or issues with the site or your account and need assistance.

I do look forward to getting to know you all and this unique community better.

Thanks,

Philip
Kremmen, wanner69 and M8TJT like this.
Thanks to MrLongbeard from:
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2018, 15:52 Thread Starter
Administrator
** Thread starter **

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Post #1 was the 13th

This post is the 22nd

I won't go any further with my utter disgust other than to say we constantly get the runaround about how sorry they are and they've escalated it to tech.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2018, 18:33
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
Post #1 was the 13th

This post is the 22nd

I won't go any further with my utter disgust other than to say we constantly get the runaround about how sorry they are and they've escalated it to tech.
I honestly don't know what else we can say. All that we (the Civ_Admin team) can do at this point is apologize for the inconveniences that you folks are experiencing. We understand that you are frustrated and that the things that are broken (ex. the Wiki) are important elements of the site. We would also love for these things to be fixed immediately, but that is not within our control since we are not the ones doing the fix. And also, we are not giving anyone the run around. If there is a delayed response it's because our queues are really backed up at the moment, but we are trying our best to get through all of the messages as quickly as we can.

We have tested and have already escalated the issues that have been reported on the site. Constantly berating us about how incompetent you think we are also does not do anything to improve matters on here. We are basically just the 'middle man' here, so beyond escalating the issues to our tech and migration teams, there is really not much else that we (Civ_Admin specifically), can do. The technical team is the group who handles the site fixes, and right now they are up to their eyeballs trying to handle site migrations and SSL certificates to our sites. It's not to say that they aren't looking to fix the issues that have arisen. They are definitely trying to fix what is broken, but they have a lot on their plate, so they really are trying their best.

To clarify a few things, the decision to move the site to Google Cloud was made to help to improve site functions overall. Being on the cloud is supposed to increase site stability, decrease outages, improve security etc. The decision to move all of our sites to the cloud was intended to be an improvement, and we feel that it's still the right decision, however changing servers is a tricky task and things often get broken in the process. Someone has probably already mentioned it, but a useful analogy is to compare it to an attempt to move an active Monopoly board from one table (a wobbly one) to another table (a stable one) - no matter how slowly/carefully you try to do it, pieces inevitably get knocked over or shifted around. The team is currently trying to "put all of the pieces back in place" after the migration. We know it's a disruption to the game, but hopefully once everything is back in place, everything will run more smoothly.

With regards to HTTPS, that has not yet been added to this site. The thread that was started about HTTPS was basically just an announcement to let you folks know that it's going to be added sometime soon. Again, the decision behind this was made based on the feedback of many members who wanted our sites to be more secure, as well as the fact that HTTPS is really becoming the base standard for any reputable sites. These are part of the reasons why it is being added to our forums.

Sorry for the long winded post. I just wanted to do my best to explain things. We really are here to try to help and are trying our best to do so, contrary to popular belief. If you got to the end of this post, thanks for reading it through. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Cheers,

Erik
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2018, 20:11
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Thanks for the feedback Erik.
If 'they' are not actively dealing with the site problems, how come things get broken (ex. the Wiki). Computers don't usually break themselves, it mostly takes someone 'doing something' to achieve that.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 23rd June 2018, 05:37 Thread Starter
Administrator
** Thread starter **

Eco display Eco display
Garage
21st Nov 17 to 13th Dec 17 - 22 days to fix :

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/site-su...ki-merged.html

16th Mar 18 to 29th Apr 18 - 44 days to fix :

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/site-su...own-again.html

Now it's happened again, currently 10 days.

It's been 214 days since 21st Nov 2017 and our 'central nervous system' has been out of action for 76 (35%) of them and still counting ....

You can see our complete frustration with the whole Verticalscope machine, wherever the bottleneck is. My guess is that no one is currently looking at it.

A post from @AG Jeff , or Philip would be useful as Jeff seems to be the one who when he does get involved has it fixed in hours.

Let's not keep apologising and get it fixed.

I'll leave it there. All yours.
wanner69, Farqui and M8TJT like this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 23rd June 2018, 07:40
Living the dream!

Thanked 1,199 Times in 1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civ_Admin View Post
I honestly don't know what else we can say.

How about the truth? I guess it will not be hard and take long to type

"in all honesty we don't give a monkeys chuff about you all, we manage many forums and all we care about is web based traffic to enable us to make many dollars from approved vendors"

at least that way we know the truth which is basically as written above and no longer have high expectations of the owners.
Kremmen likes this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 27th June 2018, 01:19
Administrator

Eco display Eco display
As Erik said, tech is working on the issue. They can't do more than that, we realise you want it fixed right away but unfortunately, this isn't going to happen with all the other issues that are happening with our other sites. We'll update you as soon as we know more.

Niall

Civinfo > Welcome > Site suggestions, feedback and rules

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in