Wiki? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 27th June 2007, 19:01 Thread Starter

Wiki?

Excuse my stupidity but can somebody explain to me the point of the WIKI pages. Not the ones that are opened with something in but ones that are started with just a ling to nothing. e.g. the latest page "Medicsource". When I click on it I just get the message

"There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page title in other pages or edit this page."

Am I missing something? This is not the only page by the way so don't think I am pick it out. There are a large number of blank pages.

Can someone explain please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 27th June 2007, 19:20
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
WIKI's are built and maintained by the users. Medicsource is a user and so there is nothing written on him. Though you could if you want. Basically you can write articles on anything within the WIKI. It's not that hard to figure out.

I also suggest you go into the wiki proper as it will be more useful than browsing through discussion topics.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 27th June 2007, 19:49
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
What's happening is this...

Each article can have a discussion thread, to discuss what's in the article. When you press "discuss" in the wiki, a thread is created in the forum "wiki article discussion", and people can post there.

Now, what was happening with usernames was that each user has a "page", normally with nothing in it, that you get to when you click on a username. That user page also has a "discussion" link which also started a new thread in the "wiki article discussion" forum. Hence the threads that are titled with a username.

Except that as of 10 seconds ago I changed it so that if you press "discussion" on a username page, you are now taken to the profile of the user, not a new thread.

Clear as mud?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 27th June 2007, 21:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechplastik View Post
WIKI's are built and maintained by the users. Medicsource is a user and so there is nothing written on him. Though you could if you want. Basically you can write articles on anything within the WIKI. It's not that hard to figure out.

I also suggest you go into the wiki proper as it will be more useful than browsing through discussion topics.
Czechplastik,

If I was the top poster then I too would think that it was not hard to figure out. However, as I asked the question it probably isn't straight forward as you think. I might also suggest, but not presume, that other newish member on this forum were thinking the same.

Even in your answer you have not fully cleared it up for me. Might I ask who is classed as a user?

Sorry if you think this is basics, but that is the type of person I am.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 27th June 2007, 21:55
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Stew,

When someone registers on the forum to get an account and a username, then they become a "user". The wiki software is linked into the forum software, so you also become a "user" on the wiki (with the same username).

You are a user, your username is "Stew", your user number is 3711, and you have a user profile page here.

Hope this clarifies, but keep asking if there's anything not clear. The software here is very powerful, but also very complex, and I imagine that most people here don't know how it all works.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 28th June 2007, 09:00
Resident Medic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechplastik View Post

Please only go writing nice things about me! How come I got picked out if everyone has one?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 28th June 2007, 09:04
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicsource View Post
Please only go writing nice things about me! How come I got picked out if everyone has one?
until you do the click thing as described by Pottsy (until he turned it off ) the wiki page doesn't exist

You were simply the latest in a long list of people who did the click thing and created a page for yourself

I seem to recall that there is one for CP too
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 28th June 2007, 09:07
Resident Medic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDegs View Post
until you do the click thing as described by Pottsy (until he turned it off ) the wiki page doesn't exist

You were simply the latest in a long list of people who did the click thing and created a page for yourself

I seem to recall that there is one for CP too
Sounds about right.... another delicate proceedure messed up
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 28th June 2007, 18:36 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Pottsy,

Thanks for the answer. Yes it does clear it up. It's nice to see that you have the time to explain it in layman terms.

Thanks
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 28th June 2007, 21:56
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Quote:
Originally Posted by stew View Post
Czechplastik,

If I was the top poster then I too would think that it was not hard to figure out. However, as I asked the question it probably isn't straight forward as you think. I might also suggest, but not presume, that other newish member on this forum were thinking the same.
Stew, don't appreciate your comments and mine were not meant to be blunt, so apologies if they came across as such. There is a guide in the WIKI which explains how it works. Hope you have your answers now anyway

Civinfo > Welcome > Site suggestions, feedback and rules

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page