For Sale Threads - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 27th March 2013, 10:31 Thread Starter
Batmobiles Rule ✌

Car: FK8
Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,351 Posts
For Sale Threads

When a for sale thread is created we have numerous stipulations about having a price shown etc etc. Why do we not make a rule that the seller has to state whether the price includes delivery or not, or whether it is collection only. This has caused some issues on for sale threads (like this one http://www.civinfo.com/forum/items-s...ction-kit.html) and has resulted in a member(s) losing an item that they wanted.

Personally when I post a for sale thread I always stipulate whether the price includes delivery (as do a large number of members) or whether it is collection only (if collection only then they should have to state a location e.g. Stoke on Trent so that a potential buyer can judge collection costs) so that there can be no confusion. This allows a buyer to immediately judge whether the price being asked is suitable for them or whether it is practicable for them to collect.

To stop members getting frustrated and upset when a for sale thread goes awry my view is that any for sale thread must state whether the price shown includes delivery or not, or is collection only (with a town / city shown for collection purposes).

Views please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 27th March 2013, 11:05
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,773 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Quote:
my view is that any for sale thread must state whether the price shown includes delivery or not, or is collection only
Rule 4 says:

Quote:
Asking and offer prices must clearly detail whether carriage is included or not.
Thanks to Pottsy from:
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 27th March 2013, 11:08
Supporter

Car: 09 Suzuki Swift Sport white
Thanked 2,783 Times in 2,531 Posts
it wasnt in the thread linked above pottsy

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 27th March 2013, 16:00
B16 OJR

Car: 2008 Type R GT Deep Bronze
So the gruppe m for sale thread should have stated it and my offer should have stood, he broke the rules and so did the other party by placing/accepting the other (lower) offer
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 27th March 2013, 16:00
B16 OJR

Good point Paul thanks for bringing this up
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 27th March 2013, 16:39
Supporter

Car: 09 Suzuki Swift Sport white
Thanked 2,783 Times in 2,531 Posts
Oll your offer had stipulations attached. The original post wasnt clear as to what exactly he wanted although the majority of people imo would have assumed it did not include delivery.

Im not trying to be an arse just pointing out that the original post has created confusion and perhaps unecessary animosity.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 27th March 2013, 16:45
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,773 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by coste1l View Post
it wasnt in the thread linked above pottsy
True. I think most would have interpreted it as without delivery, but maybe I need to add into the trading rules that if nothing is mentioned then the price is assumed to be collected.
Thank You to Pottsy from 2 Users:
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 27th March 2013, 17:15
B16 OJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by coste1l View Post
Oll your offer had stipulations attached. The original post wasnt clear as to what exactly he wanted although the majority of people imo would have assumed it did not include delivery.

Im not trying to be an arse just pointing out that the original post has created confusion and perhaps unecessary animosity.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
The original was confusing, I wasn't trying to be awkward was just trying to clarify the matter as obviously it didn't say, if he had said collected I would of offered extra for a courier to collect it for me.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 28th March 2013, 00:34
Dr. Evil

I've seen on a few other forums I've been on things like a basic template with details that have to be filled in which clears up things like this. Par example...

Item:
Condition:
Price:
Postage:
Notes:

(pics here)

"I have read the trading rules and will follow them to the letter."
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 28th March 2013, 00:42
Henkepenk

Car: 2010 CTR GT FN2, DSB
It would be good if you didnt have to ask that sort of things. But for us "far away" we still need to ask what postage would be and then the item will already be sold so for us it will still be hard to buy something really good
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 28th March 2013, 00:59
Supporter

Car: Milano Red FN2 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
True. I think most would have interpreted it as without delivery, but maybe I need to add into the trading rules that if nothing is mentioned then the price is assumed to be collected.
This. As the OP then said I will need to work out postage prices should I deliver, this then implies that the 300 quoted was collected!!

If the 300 includes delivery, why does the OP need to state on forum to work out postage prices!

An offer then came in at 280 collected, which was then accepted.

The only point do debate now is whether the OP should have checked the postage price first before agreeing to sell for 280...
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 28th March 2013, 01:07
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE

Car: 56 plate 1.8 ES cosmic grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollthenavyboy View Post
The original was confusing, I wasn't trying to be awkward was just trying to clarify the matter as obviously it didn't say, if he had said collected I would of offered extra for a courier to collect it for me.
haven't looked at staffs link...
But if this concerns the sale of the gruppe m intake, there was confusion based around if the scoop was included, which tbh the thing would be useless without it!

All sellers need to be clear on what they are offering for sale so these things don't arise again!!

Saying that, it does need a mod to ok the "for sale thread" before it goes live on the forum, so maybe questions could be asked at a earlier time to stop this?

Only my tuppence worth of course
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 1st April 2013, 15:08
Supporter

Car: 2009 CW CTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy View Post
I've seen on a few other forums I've been on things like a basic template with details that have to be filled in which clears up things like this. Par example...

Item:
Condition:
Price:
Postage:
Notes:

(pics here)

"I have read the trading rules and will follow them to the letter."
+1 If you have a set template that states all the above and if it's collection only then state post code or location then this would help potential buyers to put down a more solid offer to avoid dissappoint ment.

I also agree with vision that the thread in question was very poor description and should of been questioned before mods accepted the thread.

I had issues on my for sale thread, where potential buyers aren't reading the rules and because they don't say the right thing they miss out on the item, but then the seller gets the flack so I think there are issues both ways.
Thanks to leigh from:
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 1st April 2013, 15:12
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Car: 2008 2.2 CTS GT
Thanked 2,657 Times in 2,260 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Syx
I thought the rules used to state that unless otherwise, prices included delivery.
Was this changed when the rules were updated last year?

Unfortunately us normal folk can't check post histories.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 1st April 2013, 15:29
Supporter

Car: 2009 CW CTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syx View Post
I thought the rules used to state that unless otherwise, prices included delivery.
Was this changed when the rules were updated last year?

Unfortunately us normal folk can't check post histories.
Not sure, I've just always stated whether the price included delivery or collection. So with a set template it would then remind sellers to state it as it does seem to get left off or not clear.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 1st April 2013, 15:30
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Car: 2008 2.2 CTS GT
Thanked 2,657 Times in 2,260 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Syx
TBH it's as I've said before - more moderation on For Sale threads is required. The rules haven't been followed but threads still get approved...
Thanks to Syx from:
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 1st April 2013, 16:04
Supporter

Car: 2014 Aygo
Problem is some state absolutely collection only and 4 or 5 posts in they starts accepting different offerings for postage, couriers etc.

It should simply be a price for the item only with the words postage to be nogotiated separately, however this does not help those abroad as the postage could be prohibitive and the OP cannot possible know the cost to post to every possible country or location.

I also see quite a few where they state UK only, then when the offers don't come in it gets opened up to outside UK.

Quite a difficult one, I know on eBay they must list the postage costs, perhaps this should be the rule, it forces the seller to do a bit of research to determine the actual cost.

When I sold on eBay it wasn't a big hassle as you get to know the rates/weights.

Civinfo > Welcome > Site suggestions, feedback and rules

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in