Turn signal wire - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 5th September 2014, 14:22 Thread Starter

Turn signal wire

Hey guys,

I don't want to remove the whole of the front car again to access the very tight turn signal bulb, where can I tap into the wire so I can install a switchback LED?

EDIT: Just for confirmation, I want to know if there is a wire that is live when the turn signal is used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 5th September 2014, 14:47
Super Moderator

Car: '11 Impreza R Special
Thanked 1,011 Times in 891 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Besides the wire that goes to the blinker, NO.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 5th September 2014, 15:27 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
Besides the wire that goes to the blinker, NO.
Thanks Grayfox. I don't know how I'm going to wire it, it's very very tight on the 9G.

What I was asking was where does this wire lead? So it starts at the socket for the globe, then where does it go? If it's in a better place, I can wire it there instead of trying to reach into the turn signal socket.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 5th September 2014, 23:11
Super Moderator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
It goes to one of the internal fuse boxes.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 6th September 2014, 07:43 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
It goes to one of the internal fuse boxes.
Hmm, okay so in that case you suggest I intercept the wire at the socket? I'm a bit weary about cutting a factory wire, should I tap into the socket itself?

Does it matter whether I connect the positive turn signal wire to the negative or positive part of the socket? I was thinking as long as the LED strip gets a signal from the turn signal it should override the DRL function.

EDIT: the turn signal function will not work when I connected it to the negative terminal of the battery, just the positive so I answered my own question.

I have another question (sorry Grayfox or anyone who can help) if I want the turn signal to work all the time, I would need to have the LED strip negative wire always connected right? I have only wired them to the parkers. So to make this work, I presume:

Black: ground to the battery (where is the ground for the factory DRL?)
Red: Parker light (Or can I wire this to the DRL wire so that it is full brightness when during the day and dimmer at night?)
Yellow: positive wire to turn signal.

EDIT 2: Sorry I was thinking about it and I don't think I want the LED strip to be visible all the time. There is already factory DRL so no point having it 2. But I still want it to function as a turn signal always and come on when with the parkers. So my final connection should be:

Black: Ground at battery terminal
Red: Parker light
Yellow: Positive wire to turn signal.

I presume having the black wire always connected to ground will not run the battery down without the positive connected? Anyone here think what I'm doing is correct?

Last edited by Tea-Aholic; 6th September 2014 at 08:19.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 6th September 2014, 08:57
Super Moderator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
No need to cut the stock harness.

Use a BA15S extension cable
2X 1156 BA15S LED Bulb Extension Wire Cable NO Error Free Decoder Adapter Socket | eBay

The black cable can ground on the chassis, any part will do.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 6th September 2014, 09:13 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
No need to cut the stock harness.

Use a BA15S extension cable
2X 1156 BA15S LED Bulb Extension Wire Cable NO Error Free Decoder Adapter Socket | eBay
Thanks Grayfox. Problem is the Civic uses BAU15S and even those ones don't fit the original socket holder. Honda has an extra notch that makes these eBay ones useless. And there isn't enough space. I think I will need to splice the wire.

Quote:
The black cable can ground on the chassis, any part will do.
Oh so technically any of the negative wire for the lights of the car can be grounded at the chassis? That's interesting, sorry for being dumb!

EDIT: Just tried, most of the chassis doesn't work, I presume chassis means any metal part? I ended up wiring one side to the ground terminal that is used for jump starts as per the user manual. The other side will be on the battery.

Last edited by Tea-Aholic; 6th September 2014 at 09:29.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 6th September 2014, 13:10
Super Moderator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-Aholic View Post
Thanks Grayfox. Problem is the Civic uses BAU15S and even those ones don't fit the original socket holder. Honda has an extra notch that makes these eBay ones useless. And there isn't enough space. I think I will need to splice the wire.

Oh so technically any of the negative wire for the lights of the car can be grounded at the chassis? That's interesting, sorry for being dumb!

EDIT: Just tried, most of the chassis doesn't work, I presume chassis means any metal part? I ended up wiring one side to the ground terminal that is used for jump starts as per the user manual. The other side will be on the battery.
BAU15S have offset pins so you just have to grind one of the pins away, but it may not be fully secure.

Chassis is any bear metal part.

Here is a pic of a FN2 with chassis grounding connecting to the negative on the battery.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Styling (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page