Dog proof rear seat covers - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11th July 2017, 12:28 Thread Starter
Supporter

Dog proof rear seat covers

Hi, can anyone recommend some good, strong, well fitting rear seat covers for my 2014 Civic?

A couple of months ago I inherited an 18 month old boxer dog. Although I hadn't been looking for a dog and wasn't expecting it, but I love taking her to the beach for long walks. It keeps us both fit and active. The safest way to carry her seems to be to attach her walking harness to the rear seatbelt. I have a special loop for the purpose and she gets to sit and be comforted by my wife. She doesn't like travelling in the boot, even with the parcel shelf removed, so she can see out.

The trouble is that she molts tan coloured dog hairs all the time and my rear seats are covered! Worse, the hairs seem to embed themselves into the black seat fabric (I don't have leather seats). It takes me hours of work with several lint rollers to get the car clean and fit for passengers!

I bought some seat covers on ebay, but they are useless! They are a generic set for a variety of cars and only seem to fit where they touch. They are difficult to attach and prevent me from using the split rear seats when in place.

What I'm looking for is a set of seat covers that are made of fabric (so the dog doesn't slide on them) with a waterproof backing, that fit to the individual rear seats and allow me to still access all 3 rear seat belts. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11th July 2017, 14:12
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
is the boot an option? thats where my lab goes. you'll then be cleaning out the boot unless you get the right generic or custom fit full-cover protection liner.
i've gone for a generic floor/seat back only mat, and the travall guard which stays in the car permanently. https://www.travall.co.uk/honda/civi...-guard-tdg1366
the only annoying thing is that it gets in the way of the parcel shelf with standard length strings. i've bodged some 4" extension strings on mine but am looking for a better solution for when the dog isn't in the car.

i'm sure you could use the ISOFIX brackets on the back of the seat to clip the dog lead to if you want, but mine is free to roam the boot.

Last edited by veehexx; 11th July 2017 at 14:14.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11th July 2017, 14:21
Supporter

Car: 2016 1.8 Sport Orchid White
Is this any good NEW 2 IN 1 WATERPROOF CAR REAR BACK SEAT COVER PET DOG PROTECTOR BOOT MAT LINER | eBay

I use one to protect my car seats from my bike. The cover has a zip to enable use with one seat up plus access to seat belts etc.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11th July 2017, 16:11
Supporter

Car: 2015 1.6 i-DTEC S Navi
I got a cover on Amazon which covers all three back seats and hangs down to the floor thus protecting seat edges too, 22.99 and available on prime, really does the job for our little fella. It stays in place held by straps around each head rest and has plastic 'sticks' which you push between the seat back and cushion, hangs down to the floor with surplus, you could fold to cover just one or two seats but I take no chances. Can send pics of it in place it you want them just pm your email address. Quick to pop in or remove, I just hoover it after walks on the beach but did hang it over our washing line to wash off mud stains / dog smells the other day, it dried pretty quick in the sun and is waterproof on the reverse.

Can't compare it to other types as it's the first one I've tried, I use a short lead which clips into the seat belt and attaches to our dog's harness this goes through a Velcro fastening slit in the cover. Dog hates it because he used to sit up front in my old car and growl at other dogs, cats, bin bags or anything else that caught his eye but at least he's safe now (and so are my seats). It's pretty heavy duty and stays in place
Distainert is the seller if you search dog seat cover on there you'll find it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12th July 2017, 09:49 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by veehexx View Post
is the boot an option?
Thanks for the suggestion. Alas, the boot isn't really an option. She's a young dog and not used to car travel. Therefore I'd prefer it if she sits on the back seat with my wife. Also, my boot is usually full of rubbish which would be difficult to find a new home for.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12th July 2017, 09:59 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the suggestion. Is the cover made of a shiny nylon type material? The cover I've already bought is made of this sort of stuff and the poor dog slides across the seat whenever I corner! She can get no grip on it at all. I'd like something made of a fleece like material or a strong woollen cloth (like a blanket) so that she can grip with her feet.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12th July 2017, 11:50
Supporter

Car: 2016 1.8 Sport Orchid White
The cover is a heavy gauge polyester material with a waterproof backing, so if you have the waterproof side up it would be slippery, but the material side is not slippery -- not like nylon, more like any other fabric, and is a matt finish. It is not fleecy or even blanket like, as its supposed to be a wipe clean finish. It's relatively cheap,( compared to custom seat covers) , so if it didn't work out for your dog you could always use it as a boot protector .
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12th July 2017, 15:11 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ericay View Post
The cover is a heavy gauge polyester material with a waterproof backing....
Thanks for the info. I will give it a try.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 26th July 2017, 15:12

Car: 2012 2.2SE 5dr NightHawk Blk
I got a simple one form Sainsbury's fuel station. It doesn't fit the seats, it has two adjustable straps which clip around the head rest, velcro slots to thread the harness clip through and a zip to allow for the transmission tunnel on some cars. When I want to split the seats, i fold it and clip both straps around the same headrest. It has been a good solid cover to stop the sand and water from getting on my seats.

I had a Labrador which we can't keep out of the water & when the "fitted" seat covers I ordered wouldn't stay on the seats, I needed something in a hurry. I had intended to get a better one when I got paid but I car share and it's really easy to unclip to allow my shares to sit in the back.

Best bit about it, it was about 6.95. I would never carry my dog in the boot, there are numerous tests for cabin integrity, I don't imagine they are as diligent for boot integrity.

Civinfo > 9th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2012 - 2016) > Styling (9G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page