TTS Rotrex Sport Kit - An honest review - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 21st August 2014, 11:00 Thread Starter

TTS Rotrex Sport Kit - An honest review

Ok so as people may have gathered, I have somewhat peppered the forum with threads about Rotrex. Now that everything is up and running I thought I'd post a review and give my input to those perhaps considering going FI themselves.

I've had the FN2 for around a year and a half now, it's been a great car, no issues whatsoever with reliability and while slightly down on numbers against the modern hatches, its lighter and much more fun to drive - an all round great car that puts a smile on your face whenever you hit VTEC After around 6 months and spending time reading the forums, I got the bug.... I always felt it could do with a little more power, but as everyone knows N/A tuning really is ridiculous when you start looking at how much you need to spend in order to get anything out of it. For this reason I decided to keep it stock and wait until I had enough money to go FI right off the bat, I went over the numbers and there really is no better way to increase power for the money.

TTS had a sale on their kits so I decided it was time to do it. I chose the sport kit as the car is completely standard and wouldn't handle anything more. I also decided that I didn't want to spend mega bucks on fitting so I made a leap of faith and made the choice to DIY

TTS supplied instructions which were in my view very basic, nothing was covered in terms of existing parts on the car so I sourced the FN2 workshop manual, which is literally awesome. I am by no means a mechanic but I have enough intelligence to follow instructions and also read countless DIY guides for various elements of the install to prepare myself

Getting the stuff off was actually very straightforward, the inlet mani is a bit of a pain but it really didnt take that long, just make sure you have a set of extensions, wobble bars and some spanners. In hindsight a set of ratchet spanners would have come in handy for the bolts underneath but overall there were no dramas.

Getting the stuff on is also straightforward in principal but I encountered several issues and I am not massively impressed with TTS' after sales customer service. I had quite a few questions regarding parts of the install and I was made to feel on a couple of occasions like I was being idiotic. It was as if they didn't really want to assist, perhaps forgetting the amount of money I have sent their way - really not impressed in the slightest and was actually told at one point that I was making "heavy work of it" and "why didn't I understand what they were telling me", when in fact what they were telling me was vague to say the least, due to the fact they couldn't be bothered to take the time to explain it properly..... To their credit, Paul was really helpful in sending me a couple of bits FOC and he genuinely seemed to want to assist, Richard on the hand has really rubbed me up the wrong way and I'm still p*ssed off now with the way I have been treated. The flange on the intake pipe was also threaded incorrectly, I have no idea how it got through quality control.... this delayed the install and I don't recall actually receiving an apology, I was told that if I send it back they can re-tap it for me or I could do it myself. Luckily my neighbour is an engineer and he sorted it.... Again not happy....

Other than this, the install is actually quite easy. There are some fiddly bits but I'd say if the kit was in perfect order you could do the whole lot in a weekend easily. I had an extra pair of hands and by Saturday evening we had the injectors fitted, re-wired, plenum on and fuel rail back on. When it got round to actually starting the car after priming the oil system, I hit another wall. The base map TTS sent was corrupt. This was the most frustrating issue in the whole install! It was there ready to test, what an anticlimax! This is another annoying issue, as surely TTS must be using the latest version of Flashpro too - would have thought they would have checked to see if the fpcal still worked..... This brings me to Romain

Still in a fit of rage at the error message on my laptop, I tracked down Romain on facebook. To put it mildly, the guy is a legend. He got back to me straight away and asked for the setup of my car. I provided all the info he needed and he sent me a base map the next day. Considering this was over the weekend and he probably wasn't even working that is great customer service. I am very impressed with the way he goes about business and will wholeheartedly recommend him to anyone who is looking at getting their car mapped.

Took the car to TGM on Monday, got Tom to just have a gander over the install and he seemed to think that everything looked and sounded ok. Despite being crazy busy, Tom always has time for you and is happy to talk everything through in detail and share his knowledge. Again, I cant recommend TGM enough, they are great.

This brings me to the good bit, picking the car up Monday evening

It is ridiculous..... It made 299 BHP on a completely stock car. It goes like stink! The great thing is, it drives just like the standard car at low RPM, there isnt a sudden kick of torque it is completely progressive and linear like the standard car. The feeling when you hit 5k on WOT is mental, it pulls harder and harder all the way up to redline, it is literally intense! I look forwad to driving it even more than before

For anybody considering it I really would give two thumbs up to this kit, considering a catback, exhaust mani, new intake etc will more than likely set you back more than the cost of the charger for me it is a no brainer! All in all, TTS have annoyed me quite a lot, but the kit itself is a great buy and I couldn't be happier. I should also mention that insurance wise, Greelight have covered me for near enough the same as I was paying with Admiral last year when it was stock.....

Last edited by Doodlebug87; 21st August 2014 at 11:03.
Thanks to Doodlebug87 from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 21st August 2014, 11:33
Supporter

Car: 2007 Milano CTR
Enjoyed reading that mate, thanks for posting. You've made much better power than me when I had a similar set up.

I remember feeling the same as you after the first test drive. There's a picture of me climbing out the car with a huge grin on my face

Glad you're happy bud
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 21st August 2014, 12:39
Supporter

Worth knowing. I'm likely to be doing this soon. I'm not fitting myself and will probably be going for the super sport kit or shaft drive kit but kudos for the DIY fit. I can't wait for the first drive once it's all fitted and have this grin you mentioned.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 21st August 2014, 12:40
Supporter

Car: 2016, Polished Metal Type R
Garage
Excellent review, thanks a lot.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 21st August 2014, 12:45
Boost Time...

Car: 2008 CTR NHB
Send a message via AIM to jonno66
Good write up and glad you are happy with the final outcome. with regards to the issues with TTS, hence why I got them to install the kit so any issues then lies with them.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 21st August 2014, 17:44
Clutch pedal guru

Good review that mate. What's the mpg like if driven sensibly? You should let TTS know how feel. Is there a dedicated section for them on here? Maybe post this up on there.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 21st August 2014, 17:55
Supporter

Car: 2008 FD2, Vivid Blue
Superb write up mate - thanks for posting
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 21st August 2014, 18:04
Supporter

Car: 2005 Cosmic Grey EP3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacivicnut View Post
Good review that mate. What's the mpg like if driven sensibly? You should let TTS know how feel. Is there a dedicated section for them on here? Maybe post this up on there.
I agree with this, you need to let them know, nothing worse than spending good money to then be treated badly when you run into issues...
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 21st August 2014, 19:45

well after reading that when modding time comes i think ill be going this way

If you dont mind how much was the total cost
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 21st August 2014, 19:47
Supporter

Car: 2007 Milano Red FN2
Do you not need to run superchargers in? Not sure as I've never owned one!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 21st August 2014, 21:10 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the comments and compliments it's satisfying to know I did the job myself, makes all the swearing and scowling worth it!!! I forgot to mention, onweed was also a big help, I hassled him with loads of questions! If we ever cross paths ill buy you a pint haha

MPG is unknown at the moment, I'd hazard a guess at just under stock if cruising or commuting but if flooring it it its definitely quite a bit lower

The kit cost me about 2500 Inc VAT, plus a flashpro and mapping, so all in I'd say about 3300

Think the rotrex manual states 60 miles run in or something relatively low. I'll be taking it fairly easy just to make sure everything is hunky dory though!

I'll take some pics of the car and finished install soon TTS will be hearing from me soon, compared to everyone else I have dealt with on this install they have fallen a bit short...
Thanks to Doodlebug87 from:
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2014, 00:34
Supporter

Car: FN2 CTR GT
Very interesting. Wonder how long the stock cat will hold up under boost. I've heard they can get destroyed pretty quickly. I like the idea of keeping the stock Mani etc for MOT/insurance and still netting a 100hp gain.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2014, 01:08
Supporter

Car: 59 Milano Red Fn2
Good write up mate how much did you roughly save by diy'ing it? Did you get any quotes for fitting ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2014, 07:01 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly_Civic View Post
Good write up mate how much did you roughly save by diy'ing it? Did you get any quotes for fitting ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I seem to recall it was coming out at 400-500, so a good saving to be made
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2014, 07:42
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier

Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,328 Posts
Good read mate, well done on the DIY install and write up.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2014, 08:47
Supporter

Hey glad you got everything sorted and thats good power for stock exhaust system! Sorry I couldnt have been more help but did my best

I'll defo be taking you up on that pint if we ever do cross roads

have fun with the car mate
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2014, 14:34
Clutch pedal guru

More questions for you. What's the max torque it produces and is this on the standard clutch?
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 24th August 2014, 09:04 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Standard clutch at the moment, to be honest it doesn't produce loads of toque down low so unless you are going crazy it shouldn't put too much extra strain on it. Here's the dyno print for anyone who's interested

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 28th August 2014, 11:27

Car: 2009 Milano Red Type R GT
Very nice buddy !! I was thinking about the supersport kit as was planning on getting a tegiwa manifold and hks intake anyway but without an intercooler it is truly a stealth missile !!
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 28th August 2014, 19:13
Supporter

Get get TTS to send you out a black Intercooler =)

Also the HKS wont work with the supersport kit.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page