CIVIC TYPE R - Set to Race
Since its introduction into amateur racing in 2002, the Civic Type R has proved a popular and successful addition to the sport across Europe. However Honda is aiming for even greater success with its new model and since June 2006 JAS Motorsport, the official partner of Honda in customer racing support, has worked closely with Honda R&D to develop the new Civic Type R in the GrN and GrA specifications as a first step.
This development programme has produced an exciting range of advanced racing parts for competition level racing, making the Type R a highly competitive contender in the world of amateur racing.
The racing Civic Type R on display has been developed under the current GrA specifications and features:
· A lightweight Chrome Molibdenum alloyed steel roll cage, offering maximum protection for driver and co-driver with additional torsional stiffness to the bodyshell.
· A custom designed 6-speed sequential gearbox, created specifically for the new Civic Type R and the rigors of rallying on tarmac or gravel. The gearbox is operated by the driver through an ergonomic lever, which is hidden below the dashboard and positioned next to the steering wheel. The drivetrain is completed by reinforced driveshafts and a state-of-the-art limited slip differential (plate type with adjustable preload).
· The engine has been further upgraded by means of re-profiled camshafts and other internals for competition use, all of which have been successfully tested in the challenging Nürburgring 24 hours race
· A programmable, custom-developed Engine Control Unit (ECU) which also includes a competition data logger.
· Lightweight carbon-fibre interiors (door panels, dashboard trims, floor panels) that combine the need for weight saving with the 'flavour' of hi-tech motorsport.
The current production plans would allow the Civic Type R to obtain its FIA homologation in GrA & GrN on 01 April 2007. Orders for racing kits and parts can be placed at JAS Motorsport (www.jasmotorsport.com)
from October 2006, with first deliveries forecasted for February 2007.
In addition to this engineering relationship, JAS Motorsport continues to provide an extensive range of services to the Honda racing customer, including a free of charge telephone advice facility and full racing support on race tracks and rally events.