Focus ST v Civic Type R FN2 - Civinfo
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 10:51 Thread Starter

Focus ST v Civic Type R FN2

Hi guys thought I would share the joys of my weekend drive back from A DAY DRIVING ON AN AIRSTRIP. Driving along happily and come across an orange Focus ST - quite new looked nice (love the colour) anyway he moves across to let me passed both of us had a clear road ahead and he hammers it I realise what he is going to do so from 6th dropped into 4th and of we went, his nose edged slightly ahead but alas he had to change gear and mine well with the hondata ECU kept going all the way then hit 5th and this guys is still hammering it and so am I, in the end the front of his car was a few inches ahead but he could not get away alas WE RAN OUT OF ROAD.

It just goes to show, especially to all those who compare the 2 cars and always moan about the lack of performance of the Civic type R that they need to learn how to drive the car (without sounding disrespectful). Its taken me a short while but now the car has done 20k miles and the engine is free flowing, revs/howls like a hungry wolf and I understand the car, knowing when to let loose and how to ensure the car doesnt let you down. The car is stock with the exception of the Hondata ECU and it was a great investment especially for mid range torque!!!

for all those thinking the guy in the ST didnt know how to drive I very much doubt especially how he took of to start with, nevertheless the type R did us justice

Last edited by jag943; 29th September 2008 at 11:46.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 10:54

Wouldn't like to meet you on the road, sounds like you need to be careful. Good job the police were not about.

Track days are the best way to enjoy your car's performance. Sorry to be a killjoy, but we don't want to hear of you having a big accident.

Drive carefully!
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 10:55
You're or your..........

Car: 630i
All within the law of course

A stock R will edge it over a ST.

He may have been remapped or a very good driver if he was edging it over you considering you have Hondata.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 10:56
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelchair View Post
Wouldn't like to meet you on the road, sounds like you need to be careful. Good job the police were not about.

Track days are the best way to enjoy your car's performance. Sorry to be a killjoy, but we don't want to hear of you having a big accident.

Drive carefully!
Quite agree. Time to grow up a little and stop treating the public highway as a racetrack.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 11:01

God that sounds fun.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 11:20
Civic gone, not forgotten

Car: Pug 4007, 308CC, Clio dci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelchair View Post

Drive carefully!
I quite agree

Max rpm in (at least) 4th is significantly over 70mph, unless the way back from Essex took you via Germany......

Perhaps you did not see the traffic cops program about a Type R owner racing on the public roads.

Personally I don't give a stuff if you injure yourself with your antics. I am more bothered about the innocent road users.

Last edited by alanwalne; 29th September 2008 at 11:24.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 11:25
You're or your..........

jag943 you made a mistake. Nobody speeds on this forum fella . You will be frowned upon.

I dont see what the problem is. He said he had a clear road so wasnt putting anyone else in danger. It's his licence and his life. If he wants too lose them, then it is up too him.

I agree that this will be locked as it's a speeding thread but does it need all the do gooders preaching ?
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 11:30

Trouble is clear roads soon change when your driving at high speed. Taking too many chances in your driving eventually ends up in disaster. Look at this thread.....

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/general...ps-merged.html

Its just not worth it.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 11:30
Civic gone, not forgotten

Car: Pug 4007, 308CC, Clio dci
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEEMSTAR View Post
jag943 you made a mistake. Nobody speeds on this forum fella . You will be frowned upon.

I dont see what the problem is. He said he had a clear road so wasnt putting anyone else in danger. It's his licence and his life. If he wants too lose them, then it is up too him.

I agree that this will be locked as it's a speeding thread but does it need all the do gooders preaching ?
Neemstar

He states the other guy had to reign it in because they caught up other traffic - not that clear a road.......
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag943 View Post
Hi guys thought I would share the joys of my weekend drive back from Essex. Driving along happily overtaking all in sight and come across an orange Focus ST - quite new looked nice (love the colour) anyway he moves across to let me passed both of us had a clear road ahead and he hammers it I realise what he is going to do so from 6th dropped into 4th and of we went, his nose edged slightly ahead but alas he had to change gear and mine well with the hondata ECU kept going all the way then hit 5th and this guys is still hammering it and so am I, in the end the front of his car was a few inches ahead but he could not get away alas some traffic ahead and he slowed down and I went of happily.

It just goes to show, especially to all those who compare the 2 cars and always moan about the lack of performance of the Civic type R that they need to learn how to drive the car (without sounding disrespectful). Its taken me a short while but now the car has done 20k miles and the engine is free flowing, revs/howls like a hungry wolf and I understand the car, knowing when to let loose and how to ensure the car doesnt let you down. The car is stock with the exception of the Hondata ECU and it was a great investment especially for mid range torque!!!

for all those thinking the guy in the ST didnt know how to drive I very much doubt especially how he took of to start with, nevertheless the type R did us justice

Keep up the good work. I am sure that will ruffle a few feathers but I have just been up against a mondeo st220. It was all very safe and roads were clear. I had him beaten. Loving my type r. Although its at the dealers now lol
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 11:37
Supporter

Quote:

What he was doing was racing which is one hell of a lot more dangerous than speeding alone.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh339 View Post
What he was doing was racing which is one hell of a lot more dangerous than speeding alone.
Exactly. Leave racing to racing drivers with the appropriate Superlicense.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 11:42 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Point taken guys about the road safety etc and I apologise if this caused anyone offence! All I said was the guy in the ST let me passed then put his foot down and I did also!! and it only lasted a few seconds!! - oh yes just for the record then the way back from Essex I took a detour via Germany!!!

Just to make some happy I will edit the thread

The type R is honda's racing pedigree car therefore people on here who talk about power sliding etc, the same lectures should apply!! yes I had a little fun the other day but if I wanted a car to drive to get from a to b I would have got a Golf TDI, but the zip the Type R provides is fantastic and I wanted more than just a car!!

A stock Focus ST is approx 230BHP how can a type R beat that ?

Last edited by jag943; 29th September 2008 at 11:48.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 11:44

bringing this thread slightly back on topic (car performance), due to the gear change from 2nd to 3rd that is required just before reaching 60 the performance of the type r is statically lower than those that require a change up later or earlier, however if 0-60 were actually 0-50 etc the statistics would be different due to the gear change point, while this isnt the best explanation am sure you get the jist. the car looks a damn site better than the st anyway

Last edited by Juffled; 29th September 2008 at 11:48.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 11:45

Not taken offence, just don't want to hear of you having a tragic accident.
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 11:49
You're or your..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag943 View Post

A stock Focus ST is approx 230BHP how can a type R beat that ?
because a stock R is approx 210 bhp and 130 kg lighter.

Many have had ST's beat, as we all know though you gotta be in the perfect gear at the perfect time to not be embarressed.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 11:53

Quote:
because a stock R is approx 210 bhp and 130 kg lighter.

Many have had ST's beat, as we all know though you gotta be in the perfect gear at the perfect time to not be embarressed.
whats the st like round corners? never driven one,

because at the end of the day straights are boring, if you buy a car for 0-60 then the vxr everytime, theres a reason the best track day cars are the caterhams.....and its not because they can go quickly in a straight line
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 11:59
You're or your..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juffled View Post
whats the st like round corners? never driven one,

because at the end of the day straights are boring, if you buy a car for 0-60 then the vxr everytime, theres a reason the best track day cars are the caterhams.....and its not because they can go quickly in a straight line
You're right.

It's not as good as the R round corners IMO although I never had long to compare.
It just don't feel right, however brakes are better.

Although 600 remap and you have a car that has us beaten all day long anywhere.

The Megane R26 is the best hot hatch at the moment by a mile - only if it wasn't so ugly.
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 12:05 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

A stock R varies as not all are 210BHP - they range from 198 - 210 from what I have seen!!

Well this ST had a bit of a heads up on me in that case becasue when they gave way they then put their foot down and went a car length ahead but the second I dropped a gear I was right up their with them. The guy might have had his mapped becasue he had some chavvish stickers advertising some performance garage - who knows!!

I have just recently read threads about increasing performance and how much power the ST pumps out and that the civic cannot compete etc. - for all those who are pondering a change - dont bother!!! unless your going to get an impreza (import) or an evo!!
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 29th September 2008, 16:57

Keep red lining it dude !!!!!
Closed Thread

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page