Questions about Miltek exhaust - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 15th November 2008, 23:00 Thread Starter
Supporter

Questions about Miltek exhaust

Hi,

This is specifically for those who have the Miltek exhaust fitted to their FN2 CTR (sorry to exclude the others). I have a couple of questions I would appreciate peoples input on regarding the Miltek exhaust. I believe it's the louder of the 2 (resonated v non-resonated - sorry can't remember which is the louder of the 2 ).

1) Do you need to declare this to your insurance company? If so, how much extra did it cost you? Please post premium before/after.
2) On a scale of 1 - 100 where 100 is unbearable, how bad is the noise to live with when cruising on the m'way?
3) Can you confirm there are no MOT issues?
4) Any official power gains?

Not too interested in the power - heard the sound on the ABP FN2 and it's awesome - just need to know what it's like on a m'way cruise.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by WeHaveLiftOff; 15th November 2008 at 23:01. Reason: Obsession with correct grammar :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 17th November 2008, 21:44
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
This thread might answer one of your questions.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/type-r/...m-exhaust.html
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 17th November 2008, 23:09 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Cheers DR - looks like in terms of sound it's 100 on the m'way according to some

Although, more reason to use A roads
Might have to ring the insurance at some point - if I do I'll see what it costs extra and post back.
However, found a dent in the car today so may have to spend on that

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 17th November 2008, 23:11

All mods should be reported to your insurance company. If you don't they may refuse to pay out in the event of a claim.

Its better to be safe than sorry!
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 18th November 2008, 10:51

Send a message via MSN to Griffyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHaveLiftOff View Post
1) Do you need to declare this to your insurance company? If so, how much extra did it cost you? Please post premium before/after.
2) On a scale of 1 - 100 where 100 is unbearable, how bad is the noise to live with when cruising on the m'way?
3) Can you confirm there are no MOT issues?
4) Any official power gains?
1. Yes you must. If you don't if you crash or someone crashes the insurance company can refuse to pay as the car is not the same specs on what they have on their books. Shouldn't cost too much, I am 23 and didn't cost much more with all the mods on my car.
2. Very subjective! But I find it fine on the mway, but after a 2-3hours it does get abit annoying, will also depend on what else you have fitted.
3. No Mot issues as its only a catback system.
4. Not had my car dyno'd but meant to be about 4-7bhp gained top end.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 18th November 2008, 13:14
Naughty but nice

Car: Z4 sDrive35is
You already know my stance on this one I think, but depending on the speed and the revvs then it can be very loud, however turning up the tunes can dworn this out. You will get complaints from passangers but its not their car.

Shouldn't be any MOT issues however no FN2 has had a MOT yet as they were only released the first quater of 2007. So end of Feb 2010 will see the first MOTs

You tend to find depending on what the car was stock about 7bhp is what seems to be occuring on Dyno's without other mods its not going to make that much of a difference powerwise.

I was loving mines last night as I tore past some woman who insisted on sitting in the outside lane of the A1 at 45mph and then by a 58 plate CTR just before home.

The car already gets looks but with that on it, it really does
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 18th November 2008, 13:52

Hello,

Could one of you gentlemen please tell me which one of these two exhaust systems (HKS or Milltek) provides me with more BHP/torque and which one is louder?

Thankyou
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 18th November 2008, 14:07
S2000 AP1

Car: 54 EP3. 08 FN2. 58 FN2
HKS louder.....about same bhp/torque
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 18th November 2008, 14:11
Naughty but nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeR View Post
HKS louder.....about same bhp/torque
I found the Milltek louder than the HKS thats why I was swayed towards it but yes the gains are really the same - again all depending on what the car is stock.

I also couldn't get a discreet version in the HKS which put me off for £850.

I did feel like I had to answer although I don't fit into the 'gentlemen' catagory but then not even some male members fall into that either

Last edited by angie4m; 18th November 2008 at 14:13.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 18th November 2008, 14:16

Ah yes, sorry, I have a 57 plate Type R, I am swayed more towards the HKS for build quality but I would like something loud.

As you can tell, I have absolutely no regard from my passengers when it comes to their comfortability.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 18th November 2008, 14:38
Naughty but nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigrove77 View Post
Ah yes, sorry, I have a 57 plate Type R, I am swayed more towards the HKS for build quality but I would like something loud.

As you can tell, I have absolutely no regard from my passengers when it comes to their comfortability.
Looking at both they are very much similar with regards to build quality however the price of the Milltek has been greatly reduced since I purchased it.

I was quoted £850 for a HKS supplied and fitted, it also included the pipes being cut to make it discreet. Howver at the same time for £50 less I could get the Milltek that was already discreet but I couldn't wait the 3 weeks for a resonated system to be built for me
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 18th November 2008, 16:51

Car: 2007 CTR, Alabaster Silver
The comments here regarding insurance are generally correct. You really should declare it. My premium went up by about £20 for a non-standard exhaust.

Regarding noise, the only way to tell is to ask someone to drive you around for a bit. Personally, I was worried that it would be too loud before I bought the Milltek, but the sound is just perfect to me, even at Motorway cruising speed. I really don't think that it's too loud - it's certainly nowhere near as loud as I had anticipated.

Performance gains aren't really noticeable.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 18th November 2008, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphemia View Post
The comments here regarding insurance are generally correct. You really should declare it. My premium went up by about £20 for a non-standard exhaust.
That is a small price to pay when the alternative is invalid insurance and no payout after a claim.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 18th November 2008, 17:27 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Sorry about the insurance question - not really sure why I asked that to be perfectly honest as I know full well all mods should be declared (then it's up to the insurance whether it affects your premiums). Thanks to everyone who has pointed this out though

One other problem I might have though is the GAP insurance - I would need to tell them (and probably pay an additional premium too).

I think in terms of the noise as pointed out I will only find out if I actually have a m'way cruise in one - maybe I need to speak to ABP again!

Cheers people!
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 19th November 2008, 11:58

Car: 2007 CTR, Alabaster Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHaveLiftOff View Post
Sorry about the insurance question - not really sure why I asked that to be perfectly honest as I know full well all mods should be declared (then it's up to the insurance whether it affects your premiums). Thanks to everyone who has pointed this out though

One other problem I might have though is the GAP insurance - I would need to tell them (and probably pay an additional premium too).

I think in terms of the noise as pointed out I will only find out if I actually have a m'way cruise in one - maybe I need to speak to ABP again!

Cheers people!
If you ask nicely enough you might be able to find someone local to you who could take you for a spin. I'm going to see a guy from this forum this weekend to sample the KW v1 coilovers...

PS If you're near Nottingham let me know and I don't mind taking you for a quick drive
Thanks to aphemia from:
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 19th November 2008, 13:04 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

That's a very nice offer - thanks.

Unfortunately I'm a fair way from Nottingham - probably closer to ABP actually!!

Thanks anyway

To be honest I'm not sure I will go for this now as I realise it could invalidate my GAP insurance - I will need to speak to them before doing anything else about it!
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 21st November 2008, 22:22
Supporter

Should not affect your gap as that is only top up insurance to cover the remainder of your costs to get a new standard car.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 22nd November 2008, 11:11 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by R GT View Post
Should not affect your gap as that is only top up insurance to cover the remainder of your costs to get a new standard car.
Hving mods makes you car more desirable, and therefore more likely to be stolen (not to mention more likely to be crashed)- at least in the eyes of the insurance people .

Therefore, surely this would have some impact on the GAP insurance? In theory you are increasing the likelihood of them having to pay out.
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 23rd November 2008, 22:11
Supporter

Not really as the GAP only pays upto the list price of a new car and you do not have to renew or declare any details when you fill out the gap insurance paperwork. At least as far as i am aware but i could be wrong, any lawyers wish to comment.
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 24th November 2008, 13:19 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

If I look into it then I will post back here - however, given some of the comments I've read regarding the noise not sure I'll be bothering anymore!
Cheers for your input though

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page