the real deal - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 08:10 Thread Starter

the real deal

after 8 months of ownership ,i came to a conclusiuon, the fn2 its not a true type r , and the hatch civics are british designed and built, thats why we have endless troubles with it, as here we get the sedan civic too, the difference in quality is huge. unfortunatly honda sa does not import the fd2, THE REAL DEAL. i am starting to think i bought a austin rover instead of hi tec jap hatchback..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 08:14
TYPE R GT (R-15016)

That's not a nice thing to say about British car building !! How Jap do you want it ???
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 08:16

He's probably right though!

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 09:49
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS

Car: DS3
The FD2 is a better car , ill just have to live with it
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 10:11 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

the euro type r is just a marketing move from honda eu, thats all, poor built quality, how many of us can swear on it? mech problems, example, gearbox: always been the strong point of any honda, but i see many of us complaining on the third gear issue, paintwork: everything has been said on this forum, but why the other hondas built in japan have a better paintjob than the ones from swindon?or maybe workers and manegement need proper training from the land of the rising sun?
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 10:20

I agree, hence why soon I will be cutting my loses and goin back to the germans!
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 10:46 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I thought of changing it to a chw when release in sa , but tbh not worth the price , i really wish i could grey import a fd2, with the new addiction to the family i am really struggling with the car seat.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 11:23
R-2
geekess

Car: 2010 Mugen 200 Type R
Send a message via MSN to R-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabfran View Post
the euro type r is just a marketing move from honda eu, thats all, poor built quality, how many of us can swear on it? mech problems, example, gearbox: always been the strong point of any honda, but i see many of us complaining on the third gear issue, paintwork: everything has been said on this forum, but why the other hondas built in japan have a better paintjob than the ones from swindon?or maybe workers and manegement need proper training from the land of the rising sun?

I'm sure someone will correct me if i am wrong but surely the gearbox problems are not unique to the UK built Civic.
Its been widely reported in the USA on the Sedan.

I agree that the paint work is not good but i think that this is due to the need to use more eco friendly chemicals. Something that other parts of the world are lagging behind in.
I also regularly drive an 07 plate 5 series. The bonnet is covered in tiny stone chips.

As for the build quality - i think it is very good for a sub 20k car
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 11:33
Supporter

Car: 2009 CW CTR
Send a message via MSN to Cush
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillTypeR View Post
I agree, hence why soon I will be cutting my loses and goin back to the germans!
Really..... and you were so looking forward to getting your type R.... is it really that bad ?????
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 11:42
R-2
geekess

Quote:
If you sell a car you bought new after only a few months you most certainly will not be cutting your (financial) losses. Even more so in the current economic climate.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 12:27 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-2 View Post
I'm sure someone will correct me if i am wrong but surely the gearbox problems are not unique to the UK built Civic.
Its been widely reported in the USA on the Sedan.

I agree that the paint work is not good but i think that this is due to the need to use more eco friendly chemicals. Something that other parts of the world are lagging behind in.
I also regularly drive an 07 plate 5 series. The bonnet is covered in tiny stone chips.

As for the build quality - i think it is very good for a sub 20k car
i belive the us sedan has the same k20z4 setup like the fn2, ecofriendly materials? who cares, all i know is that after 8 months my car needs the front repainted, not ecowallet friendly
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 13:35
THP
Form & Function

Car: 2007 NHB CTR GT
Quote:
i belive the us sedan has the same k20z4 setup like the fn2, ecofriendly materials? who cares, all i know is that after 8 months my car needs the front repainted, not ecowallet friendly
You're thalking about 2 "main" issues.
1) Stone chips
2) Third gear
2 issues and the car is still working...right ?
Knowing Honda, the third gear issue can be fixed... so the only one remaing is stone cips... and you want to sell your car for this ?
Are you sure to do the right thing?
Are you really sure that german cars are REALLY better (in building quality) than your Civic ?
My previous car was a last-gen. german car... the actual owner is now looking for a new engine.
Btw the car ( Golf MK5) had 45.000 km on its dash !
I prefer stone chips!
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 14:01
R-2
geekess

Quote:
i don't think it matters whether we as individuals care about environmental issues. European manufacturers are under increasing pressure to comply with ever stricter 'green' regulations. So i think water based paints are here to stay
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 14:26

I wont be switching anytime soon. Dont get me wrong I love the car. The engine is amazing as is handling. Love the looks. However the niggles are beginning to annoy me. Such as the rubbish sound system, driving position is to high, seat adjustment, rattles and the paint.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 14:50
Supporter

Car: 2009 CW CTR
Send a message via MSN to Cush
Quote:
I wont be switching anytime soon. Dont get me wrong I love the car. The engine is amazing as is handling. Love the looks. However the niggles are beginning to annoy me. Such as the rubbish sound system, driving position is to high, seat adjustment, rattles and the paint.
Well thats good to hear you still love the car deep down..... all this negative talk has been putting doubt in my mind about buying one
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 14:52

Its a great car, even though the rattles annoy me too.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 15:10

Car: 2017 Type R GT
I bought mine (Silver Type R GT), and 8 weeks later traded it back to Honda for a 57 Reg Accord 2.2 Gt. I couldn't stand the squeeks and rattles.

I also made a very stupid decision, spur of the moment, in buying a 2 door when I have 2 small kids with a pram.

Cest la vie..............

Thinking hard about a 5 series 530 for next year.........
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 15:16
Lord of JAE.....

Car: 58' NHB Type R-GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by THP View Post
My previous car was a last-gen. german car...
Similar here, I had an E39 520I SE (around 2K more than what I paid for my Civ', was 25K basic new). Boy did it Knock spots of the Civ, better quality of pretty much everything, and a good engine. I love my Civ, but don't me wrong, this certainly ain't a Jap car, it's as British as you can get (full of faults and no one will listen) - [I'm beginning to think Honda hired Rover's employees and parts producers LOL]. My BM' had 120K miles on the clock when I sold her and the most serious problem she had was a broken engine sensor (which cost 250 quid to fix fair do's), other than that she was fine, even a 6 tonne oil tanker couldn't kill her, now thats engineering, thing hewn from steel and rock

Tom
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 15:17
Lord of JAE.....

Car: 58' NHB Type R-GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHulkster View Post
I bought mine (Silver Type R GT), and 8 weeks later traded it back to Honda for a 57 Reg Accord 2.2 Gt. I couldn't stand the squeeks and rattles.

I also made a very stupid decision, spur of the moment, in buying a 2 door when I have 2 small kids with a pram.

Cest la vie..............

Thinking hard about a 5 series 530 for next year.........
I loved my five and would have one again in a heartbeat, just be prepared to get hassle EVERYWHERE you go.

Tom
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 1st December 2008, 16:27 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

the think that upset me the most is that here you pay the same money of a gti,more than a focus st, almost the same of r26, so the quality should be at least the same, but its not. a fiat is better built today, can you belive it?

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page