Low speed brake Squeal - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2008, 10:52 Thread Starter

Question Low speed brake Squeal

Hi All

At the moment when I'm in traffic I can hear my rear brakes squealing when i'm crawling, you can't hear it when you get up to speed only when you go really slow. There is no heat in the calipers when i've stopped so I don't think that they are binding a lot.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm dreading going to my dealer with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2008, 11:00
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 i-CTDi ES NHB
Sounds like the rear pads need replacing or a stone stuck between the pad and disk.

Have you checked the Wiki for information on brakes??
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2008, 12:51 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I don't think that it's a stone as I've not noticed any scoring on the discs, and I was told at the last service that I had over 70% left on the rear pads.

I've had problems with my front brakes that resulted in a calliper being replaced, but that was really bad, I actually cracked the front pads with the heat build up. There is no heat in the rears after a journey.

When I had my original problems with the front brakes I was told changing the pads might sort out the problem, why does changing the pads fix a binding brake?

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2008, 14:01

Car: '07 1.8 MR Type-S 104000 km
Eco display Eco display
i dont think there's a real problem with it, every brake squeels sometime when going slowly.
HOWEVER, you can also go to your dealer and ask them about it. No need to be shy about it. I myself have asked the most stupidest stuff at my dealer but thats what they are there for, to clear things up.

edit: are you applying the brakes when this sound is there? because if you arent then you've got sticky brakes, sorry for the confusing but i read your post too fast, doh

Last edited by Woette; 2nd December 2008 at 14:04.
Thanks to Woette from:
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2008, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm4 View Post
When I had my original problems with the front brakes I was told changing the pads might sort out the problem, why does changing the pads fix a binding brake?

Probably because when you fit new pads you need to push the piston back into the caliper and this tends to free in up if it's sticking, also as the calipers are single piston floating calipers you also (or should) re-grease the pins they slide on thereby freeing up the movement.
Thanks to cylon2007 from:
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2008, 15:05
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylon2007 View Post
Probably because when you fit new pads you need to push the piston back into the caliper and this tends to free in up if it's sticking, also as the calipers are single piston floating calipers you also (or should) re-grease the pins they slide on thereby freeing up the movement.
But you don't need new pads to do this just replace the original pads ofter applying copper grease!!
Thanks to NoNumpty from:
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2008, 18:07

I have a 2 week old CTR and my breaks squeak - particularly when its cold - and there's no heat in the breaks
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2008, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNumpty View Post
But you don't need new pads to do this just replace the original pads ofter applying copper grease!!

true, but you are still removing the caliper so should regrease the slide pins plus if you remove the pads,clean them and copperslip them it could have been the pads binding in the caliper. The fact is you are removing and reassembling this frequently sorts out stick/binding problems.

You think you have problems with car brakes binding, it's nowt to motorcycle brakes as they are too small to be able to fit decent belows over the pitsons so they often need a yearly strip and rebuild especially if ridden threw winter, I've done plenty
Thanks to cylon2007 from:
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2008, 20:18
You're or your..........

Car: 630i
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveguru-type-r View Post
I have a 2 week old CTR and my breaks squeak - particularly when its cold - and there's no heat in the breaks
Same here
Thanks to NEEMSTAR from:
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 3rd December 2008, 08:31 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I think I'm going to take a trip to the dealer and see what they say. I took a look at the Wiki on replacing the pads, but I think i'll leave it someone who knows what they are doing (well hopefully knows what they are doing )
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 3rd December 2008, 08:53
Supporter

Quote:
I think I'm going to take a trip to the dealer and see what they say. I took a look at the Wiki on replacing the pads, but I think i'll leave it someone who knows what they are doing (well hopefully knows what they are doing )
before you do just have a look at the thickness of the pads - both front and back - make a mental note so if dealer put new ones on you will be able to compare a good set of pads with a worn set of pads for future reference
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 3rd December 2008, 12:52

My CTR is 58 plate and I've got brake squeal at low speeds in the morning...booked into dealer but has anyone been to their dealer with this and resolved the problem?

Thanks!
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 3rd December 2008, 13:54
Supporter

I also have a 58 plate CTR - brakes squeal only when I have reversed off the driveway and apply them to then move forwards - will keep and eye on this post and if need be will take it into the dealers!
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 6th December 2008, 18:10 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Going to have to wait until the new year for my trip to the dealer, Wife's car needs service and MOT this month. Will update this thread once I get around to taking it in.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 6th December 2008, 20:03

Quote:
Going to have to wait until the new year for my trip to the dealer, Wife's car needs service and MOT this month. Will update this thread once I get around to taking it in.

seeing as you are going to leave it until the New Year you have actually checked the thickness of the pads haven't you??? just to be safe.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 7th December 2008, 09:56

They all make this noise. It is due to the very poor road insulation into the carbin. Turn the radio down and drive very slowly up to the traffic lights, apply the brakes slightly,and you will hear a sheeesing noise. Have you not noticed when you drive along a road with loose gravel you can hear Evey piece hit the cheap plastic protectors under the front wings.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 7th December 2008, 10:20

mine on ctr started squealing yesterday it is squeal pads to let you know pads are low !!!! however there is normally plenty of pad still remasining just main dealer way of mugging you off as who want to drive around in a squealing car !!!!!!! just pi**** me off that the rear pads seem to wear so quickly, my wifes diesel has gone through a set of REAR pads every 14000 mlsand the type r squaeling at 14000 now - never needed rears on my subaru or any other cars for at least 40k miles
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 7th December 2008, 17:00
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell 10 View Post
They all make this noise. It is due to the very poor road insulation into the carbin. Turn the radio down and drive very slowly up to the traffic lights, apply the brakes slightly,and you will hear a sheeesing noise. Have you not noticed when you drive along a road with loose gravel you can hear Evey piece hit the cheap plastic protectors under the front wings.
mine doesn't
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 8th December 2008, 08:25 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I think the pads are still ok. Was told by dealer a few months ago that I had over 70% left on them and I've have hardly been doing any mileage lately.

I don't think my problems are down to just me being more aware of the sounds due to the poor insulation. As I can hear the brakes squealing when I haven't got my foot any where near the brake pedal. I only hear it either when I reverse off the drive in a morning, or when I'm crawling along in traffic, but I'm hearing it when I'm not applying the brakes.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 8th December 2008, 12:15

Send a message via MSN to Shoulin
i have the same problem. the brakes sound like they are squeeling, or like the handbrake is still on, when i drive 0-7mph, from cold start. one i have been driving for 15 mins it goes away. then noise happens only at 0-7mph and happens with & without my foot on thr brake pedal. as you have mentioned i also hear it in reverse when the car is cold.

my dealer didnt know what it was, and they are more than a 15 min drive away, so by the time i get there, the noise has gone. they offered to keep it overnight, but its finding the time to get it done, espically with xmas shopping!!!!!!

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page