First 1,000 Miles Report !! - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 5th December 2008, 14:36 Thread Starter

First 1,000 Miles Report !!

As promised, I'm letting you know how I'm getting on with the car having taken delivery of it 2 weeks ago.

Thanks to those in this forum who gave me loads of useful into when speccing and ordering the car !

My first impression of the car was not a particularly good one, because due to work commitments I was unable to pick it up and it was driven to my office - filthy !

Anyway, after a quick visit to the local car wash and valet service, things were looking up. Was initially annoyed with the beeping from the seatbelt warning system, however thanks to this forum have now turned that off. I always jump into the seat and switch on the engine, then put the seatbelt on. The system should be re-designed to activate at speeds over 15 mph similar to other cars. Anyway, a simple mod under the drivers seat resolved the issue.

The seating position is comfortable and the seat itself very supportive. All the controls are within easy reach, and sensibly laid out. The only gripe I have is that at 6ft tall, the seat either needs to be lowered one position more than physically possible, or the steering wheel raised an inch (above its highest point). The net result is that I can't see the top of the rev counter no matter what I do - very annoying !! Dipping my head everytime I wish to see the revs is a pain in the @rse.

The other gripe about the comfort is the irritating position of the seatbelt - it is so far behind me that I have to perform a gymnastic move everytime I jump into the car to reach round and get it. Have somewhat found a temporary solution to this problem by making a point of draping it over the 'wing' of the recaro when I leave the vehicle, but it is somewhat annoying, and is obviously reset when someone climbs into the back. In my opinion, there should be a quick release clip on the upper right wing of the seat that holds the seatbelt in place to avoid this problem.

So onto the drive. First 500 miles saw some sensible driving with no v-tec or heavy braking. On the whole, coming from a 2-seater sports car, I found the whole experience fairly comfortable, cruising from A-B with little effort.

After running the car in, I then started to use v-tec which it has to be said changes the personality of the car somewhat. It transforms from comfortable cruiser to hardcore racer, and handles very well with the stiff suspension. Granted, there is no way that it can compete with a rear-wheel drive sports car, however it performs well for a front-wheel drive vehicle when driven hard. My only grip is that the power isn't overly accessible without changing down gears, often 2 at a time, i.e. 4th down to 2nd ! The Hondata is looking like a 'must-have' mod if it ensures the v-tec kics in a couple of thousand revs lower. If the power were more accessible, then the car would certainly be a better drive. I've noted that for most driving, you barely break 3,000 revs before changing up gear anyway, so bringing in the v-tec at something like 3,200 revs or so would make more sense.

From a practicality point of view, the back seats are pleasantly proportioned with plenty of legroom. WHY OH WHY did Honda not fit a central seat belt to make this a 5-seater ? Greatly reduced practicality for no good reason - nonsensical in my opinion !! The boot is certainly more than large enough, and the clever additional deep storage area an added bonus. There's plenty of storage within the vehicle, and its generously equipped with cup-holders, plenty of space for sunglasses, mobile phones etc. One touch that is nice is the passenger having their own control in the door panel for their aircon. Couple of passengers have been quite taken with this already, so thumbs up to Honda for that one

Economy is proving fairly good so far. Trip computer is claiming 24.6mpg but I don't believe it as the mileage I'm getting from a £50 full tank is suggesting I'm getting better than that. Not totally convinced it is calculating it correctly, it seems to be quite pessimistic. Speaking of the tank - bit small itsn't it ? £50 and its full ? Could be doing with being a little larger for longer journeys in my opinion. The cruise control is excellent by the way, very smooth on the motorway!

I'm looking forward to getting it on the track in the Spring, and will report back with how things go in the future, but first 1,000 miles have been good. A few irritating niggles but nothing that can't be sorted. The obvious mod for me has to be the Hondata based on my experience so far. I suspect that a visit or two to the track will highlight the lack of LSD as well, but we'll leave that till a later date.

So to summarise:

Positive points
  1. Comfortable recaro seats
  2. Sharp handling at speed
  3. Cruise control is very smooth and unintrusive
  4. Dual personality of the car depending on your mood
  5. MP3 CD player, getting 160 tracks on 1 CD is rather nice
  6. Looks of the car (when clean)
Negative Points
  1. Access to v-tec power is at too higher revs (in my opinion)
  2. Driver's seat should either go an inch or two lower, or steering wheel slightly higher !
  3. Seatbelt pings back to default position about 18 inches behind your right shoulder, making it hard to retrieve
  4. Rear visibility on the part of the rear window BELOW the spoiler is atrocious, it gets dirty to the point where you can't see through it at all, and there is no rear wiper obviusly - not ideal.....
Thats about it.

Any solutions to any of the above problems would be helpful ! A Hondata will resolve issue number 1 certainly....

On the whole, enjoying the car thoroughly, and am going to get the LED footwell light kits installed over the holidays, and the rear brakelight sticker. Its in getting the bluetooth transferred over from my old car this afternoon, so I'll be fully comm'd shortly as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 5th December 2008, 14:58

Very good review, well done!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 5th December 2008, 15:03
Supporter

Car: 2009 CW CTR
Send a message via MSN to Cush
Great review...many thanks for that as Im intending to but one in a couple of months.

Just concerned a little as Im 6'3". I remember when I test drove it I had to move my head up and down to check the revs and the speedo !

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 5th December 2008, 15:11 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
Great review...many thanks for that as Im intending to but one in a couple of months.

Just concerned a little as Im 6'3". I remember when I test drove it I had to move my head up and down to check the revs and the speedo !

Its a really silly mistake for Honda to have made. The steering wheel should adjust an inch higher, and the seat go slightly lower. Even by moving the seat right back to the point where my feet struggle with the pedals, I still can't see the top of the rev-counter. Really irritating, and a bit of an own goal for Honda bearing in mind 50% of their target market for the type-r are likely to be around the 6ft mark !

At 6'3 you may be struggling a bit mate to be honest. Its not a deal-breaker as the car is good value for the money and the positives outweigh the negatives. It is a pain tho
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 5th December 2008, 15:18
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier

Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,328 Posts
Totally agree with everything you have said.

Ive got the Hondata and it rectifys the very problem you describe, when entering Vtec in 3rd gear it seems to accelerate forever now and I find I grab the gear stick earlier than I need to forgetting the new higher rev limit too .

I will be posting an in depth review of the Hondata ECU this weekend after my Milltek exhaust is fitted so keep your eyes peeled

Overall your review is spot on. Well done.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 5th December 2008, 15:31
Supporter

Car: 2009 CW CTR
Send a message via MSN to Cush
I haven't bought mine yet and already have a short list of mods

Rage Alloys
Hondata ECU
Milltek exhaust
FRS
Red footwell lighting

I keep checking 'drivethedeal' website for the discounts available on a Type R GT and yesterday it showed a £4,000 discount ! Leaves a fair bit to play around with.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 5th December 2008, 16:40

Send a message via MSN to Griffyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post

I am 6ft1 and I have no issues with seeing all of the rev dial. You just have to play around with seat height and steering wheel height till you get it just right. For the first couple of weeks couldnt see the rev dial though as didn't play around too much with the seating position. But I don't let people in/out the drivers side now as don't want to lose my perfect seating position...wish Honda had a memory function...really hate it when the seat is moved by mechanices come service/oil change time
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 5th December 2008, 16:46

I can't see the top of the rev counter, its annoying but just one of those things you get used to.

Last edited by Wheelchair; 5th December 2008 at 16:48.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 5th December 2008, 16:59
Supporter

Car: 2008 CTR GT NHB
agreed with the seat belt position
ive not got a habbit of turning my whole body to get the seat belt where i was use to reaching down my side or just behind!

i sometimes have trouble with the seat, ive got it the lowest down and so my legs are at full straightness to the pedals and yet when i lean forward i still hit the top of the car with my hair and head lol

would love to know the mod for the seat belt noise though!

also cant wait to hear about the hondata ECU, this will be next after my induction kit!

very good review! seems ages since i got my CTR GT, done 3000 miles in it now but i am getting some creeks from the windscreen and dash!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 5th December 2008, 17:02

Just for you twig.......

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/522...lt-beeper.html

Hope that helps!
Thanks to Wheelchair from:
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 5th December 2008, 22:43
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafferj View Post
Negative Points
  1. Access to v-tec power is at too higher revs (in my opinion)
  2. Driver's seat should either go an inch or two lower, or steering wheel slightly higher !
  3. Seatbelt pings back to default position about 18 inches behind your right shoulder, making it hard to retrieve
  4. Rear visibility on the part of the rear window BELOW the spoiler is atrocious, it gets dirty to the point where you can't see through it at all, and there is no rear wiper obviusly - not ideal.....
Thats about it.

Any solutions to any of the above problems would be helpful ! A Hondata will resolve issue number 1 certainly....

Glad you like it as much as I do

I agree with your negatives but find you can get round them

1 As you say the hondata ecu should improve this. I find the car fast enough for road use myself.
2 Moving the seat backwards/ forwards combined with backrest adjustment is a way of finding a point where the steering wheel doesn't obscure the instruments. Not a ideal but it works for me
3 I find you I easily grab the seat belt by swinging my right arm back as opposed to twisting round.
4 Rain x may help with rear view visibility. However I have just got used to the restricted rear view and use the mirrors , similar to driving a van. It doesn't bother me now .

The FRS geometry set up is well worth doing and you can get it done in Glasgow

It is a great car
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10th December 2008, 14:00 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Cheers for all the help and advice guys!

I must admit, I still can't find the perfect driving position. Only way I can see the top of the dial is if I move the seat to the 'sunlounger' position which is great for seeing the rev counter but utterly impractical for seeing the road ahead other than if I am climbing a steep hill !

Certainly seems like the hondata is a must, not because of more power but just to make it more accessible. Shame the car didn't come with it as standard, or the most sensible option would be a 'sport' button which alters the mapping to bring in the V-Tec at 3,500 revs or similar......

The seatbelt issue is workable however not ideal....

Will try Rain-X on the rear window also. Have put it on the front with reasonable amount of success !

Ps - one other annoying point I've now noticed, the standard lights are indeed absolute gash ! Have replaced them with the Phillips ones recommended on another thread and they are now much brighter thankfully !
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10th December 2008, 16:26
Supporter

Car: 2008 CTR GT NHB
Quote:
Cheers for all the help and advice guys!

I must admit, I still can't find the perfect driving position. Only way I can see the top of the dial is if I move the seat to the 'sunlounger' position which is great for seeing the rev counter but utterly impractical for seeing the road ahead other than if I am climbing a steep hill !

Certainly seems like the hondata is a must, not because of more power but just to make it more accessible. Shame the car didn't come with it as standard, or the most sensible option would be a 'sport' button which alters the mapping to bring in the V-Tec at 3,500 revs or similar......

The seatbelt issue is workable however not ideal....

Will try Rain-X on the rear window also. Have put it on the front with reasonable amount of success !

Ps - one other annoying point I've now noticed, the standard lights are indeed absolute gash ! Have replaced them with the Phillips ones recommended on another thread and they are now much brighter thankfully !
diamond visions are extremely brighter, good choice
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11th December 2008, 12:22 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig View Post
diamond visions are extremely brighter, good choice

Yea noticeable difference, and a more useful colour shade as well, i.e. not pale yellow !

Car looks better from the outside, and I can see better from within it, so all in all, £40 or so well spent
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11th December 2008, 12:25
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier

Quote:
Yea noticeable difference, and a more useful colour shade as well, i.e. not pale yellow !

Car looks better from the outside, and I can see better from within it, so all in all, £40 or so well spent
Good choice well done
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11th December 2008, 12:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr JP View Post
Good choice well done

Cheers, noticed in your signature you mention LED sidelights ! Where did you get those and how hard were they to fit ?

I only replaced the H1 & H7's.

Hmm, sounds interesting !
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11th December 2008, 13:01
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier

Sidelights are sidelights in my opinion as long as they are LED and the white variety, Ive been through a few sets of poor ones, but my latest (and best) ones I got on ebay very cheap, like £4.

I would recommend just getting single LED ones because the 4-cluster ones can look a bit ott against the headlights.

Something like this is all you need WHTE 501 led sidelight/indicator bulbs SUIT GTE VTR ETC on eBay, also Bulbs Lenses, Lights Lighting Accessories, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 19-Dec-08 23:20:34 GMT)
Thanks to Mr JP from:
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11th December 2008, 13:09 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr JP View Post
Sidelights are sidelights in my opinion as long as they are LED and the white variety, Ive been through a few sets of poor ones, but my latest (and best) ones I got on ebay very cheap, like £4.

I would recommend just getting single LED ones because the 4-cluster ones can look a bit ott against the headlights.

Something like this is all you need WHTE 501 led sidelight/indicator bulbs SUIT GTE VTR ETC on eBay, also Bulbs Lenses, Lights Lighting Accessories, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 19-Dec-08 23:20:34 GMT)

Most helpful cheers ! You've certainly done quite a bit to your car. I'm loathe to do too much this time, as I spent a fortune on the last one, over £5k of extras that I never got back when I sold it.

Think I'll be doing odds and ends to subtly improve it - Hondata certainly sounds like a must if a groupbuy could be done
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11th December 2008, 13:16
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS

Car: DS3
Ive ordered HIDS for mine, waiting for them now.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11th December 2008, 14:34
S2000 AP1

Car: 54 EP3. 08 FN2. 58 FN2
Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalhunter View Post
Ive ordered HIDS for mine, waiting for them now.
Which kit did you go for mate...?

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page