Throttle body - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 30th December 2008, 21:07 Thread Starter
Supporter

Throttle body

Just had a sniff around and It looks like you can get a 70mm spoon throttle body for 400, They say gains of 7bhp on a totally stock engine, surely with good induction kit / exhaust its got to be more.

Im just wondering why no one seems to talk about them when people modd the type R,
I if they give you 7bhp for 400 then they are better value than the top end inducton kits ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 30th December 2008, 21:22

Car: 2007 CTR, Alabaster Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
Just had a sniff around and It looks like you can get a 70mm spoon throttle body for 400, They say gains of 7bhp on a totally stock engine, surely with good induction kit / exhaust its got to be more.

Im just wondering why no one seems to talk about them when people modd the type R,
I if they give you 7bhp for 400 then they are better value than the top end inducton kits ??
You're right, this is the first I've heard on a throttle body being mentioned for the FN2. I don't know anything about these myself but hopefully someone will...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 30th December 2008, 21:31
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier

Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,328 Posts
Yeah there is a Spoon one but aparently there are idle issues and it's hard to make it fit because of it's 70mm diameter, I was thinking of the FD2 one which is slightly bigger than the FN2, plus RRC FD2 intake manifold which is supposed to be great.

All of these things will be much more advantagous once Hondata hurry up with the mappable upgrade.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 31st December 2008, 11:06

are those throttle bodys drive by wire?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 31st December 2008, 11:40

Car: 2007 Si sedn Fiji Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabfran View Post
are those throttle bodys drive by wire?
Yes they are, but I don't think we're really in a position to see the max gains just yet. As we well know, there isn't a great (inexpensive) tuning solution for the FN/FG/FA class Civics just yet. We also know the painful downside to the DBW system: Sluggish response, and the butterfly not fully opening, when you're flooring it.

If read some interseting thing about the new Blitz, and Buddy Club DBW controllers (I'm not sure if that's what they're really called). In a nutshell, they amp up the signal that goes to the TB, gives you quicker throttle response, and opens the butterfly fully. It's a fairly new product, and is currently being used in Japan. As far as the US market goes, I haven't read anything about anybody trying it out yet on the Si. They cost about $300-$400.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2009, 03:42
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsbobo View Post
If read some interseting thing about the new Blitz, and Buddy Club DBW controllers (I'm not sure if that's what they're really called). In a nutshell, they amp up the signal that goes to the TB, gives you quicker throttle response, and opens the butterfly fully. It's a fairly new product, and is currently being used in Japan. As far as the US market goes, I haven't read anything about anybody trying it out yet on the Si. They cost about $300-$400.
Is it this Blitz throttle controller? -- http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electro...on-report.html

Last edited by andreyka123; 2nd January 2009 at 04:00.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2009, 06:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreyka123 View Post
Is it this Blitz throttle controller? -- http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electro...on-report.html
Yep, that's it. Here's the write up description of the Buddy Club version from King Motorsport's website:

Utilizing the latest microprocessor technology, the e-Throttle Booster modifies the signal between accelerator pedal, ECU, and throttle body to boost or cut the angle of the throttle plate in relation to its stock settings. The e-Throttle Booster allows for 12-steps of adjustment and 31 levels of total adjustment throughout the range of the throttle position sensor, allowing for precision changes according to driver preference. At low ranges, it reduces the perceived effect of “throttle lag” – the amount of time that occurs between when the accelerator is pressed and when the engine responds. At the upper RPM ranges, the increased sensitivity makes it easier to perform racing techniques like the heel-toe shift. Each unit comes with an application specific wiring harness for quick installation.

Since it is adjustable, the driver can change preferences “on the fly” or leave them set up for track or off-road preference. E-Throttle Booster also utilizes an “Economy” Mode that allows the driver to de-tune throttle response for the most fuel economy with the least amount of driver effort. This new idea is now being implemented as optional equipment on late model vehicles, and may soon be an available feature on all new electronic throttle cars. The increase in fuel savings will more than pay for the unit itself in a short amount of time. Conversely, dual-purpose vehicles that see highway time in addition to serving weekend warrior duty can now implement an additional level of automatic control and fine-tuning that’s never been available before. A quick flick of the knob is all it takes to maximize your throttle effort. Like the short throw shifters that came before them, the e-Throttle Booster incorporates technology and an revised driving experience that will have you hooked once you try it. You may never have to “push the pedal to the metal” to achieve the wide-open throttle response that you need during spirited driving maneuvers.

Electronic throttle or drive-by-wire throttle systems utilize a sensor incorporated into the vehicle’s main Engine Control Unit (ECU) to translate your mechanical pedal effort into electronically modulated opening and closing of the throttle plate in the throttle body. From the factory, the ratio of pedal movement to throttle plate opening is governed by the ECU and is meant to provide the most reasonable compromise between pedal sensitivity and throttle plate movement. The e-Throttle Booster acts as a modifier of that signal, allowing you to increase or decrease the ratio at will, fine tuning the pedal actuation experience to the driving task at hand. With its fast microprocessors, the e-Throttle Booster can virtually eliminate the perceived lag between pedal and throttle plate; it also has the capability to modify the total angle opening of the throttle plate in real time, allowing more air (and therefore, more power production ability) into the engine intake tract. Because of the method used to intercept and modify the signal, as well as the point in the ECU system where the signal is modified, the e-Throttle Booster will not be detected by the car’s OBDII system; therefore, the factory ECU cannot “override” your settings, nor will the e-Throttle Booster cause Diagnostic Trouble Codes.
e-Throttle Booster for Drive By Wire []
All Vehicles w/Drive By Wire$ 340.00

Here's a pic of the BC unit:

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/popup.../large/926.jpg

Last edited by mattsbobo; 2nd January 2009 at 07:53.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2009, 16:59
Supporter

sorry to jump on this thread but its the same thing throttle bodys i run a FN2 on a modified EP3 maifold on a normal cable system and standard TB has any one got any information on uprated TB for a EP3 Mainfold please
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2009, 01:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR42 View Post
sorry to jump on this thread but its the same thing throttle bodys i run a FN2 on a modified EP3 maifold on a normal cable system and standard TB has any one got any information on uprated TB for a EP3 Mainfold please
I don't know anything about the EP3, it's running a cable throttle right? These Civics have drive by wire.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page