Partially seized type-r brakes affecting handling - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 8th January 2009, 15:13 Thread Starter
1.5 Sport Plus CVT

Partially seized type-r brakes affecting handling

Over the last 2 weeks or so i totally lost confidance in the front end of my type-r.

Basically the steering felt a vague and i was getting no feedback from the front wheels through the steering wheel.

The car always seemed to be adjusting its position on the road (its difficult to explain) and it just felt wrong, a kind of tramlining effect.

Eventaully i discovered that the switching the stabilistation off helped slightly and i got it into my head that the stabilisation was somehow doing something to the front wheels it shouldnt be.

Anyway....took it to the garage today and they discovered the brakes had partially seized.

They stripped and cleaned and the handling is perfect again and confidance fully restored

Can anyone explain how the partially seized brakes would adversely effect handling as I am interested to know. Also any information on how the veichle stability system would be affected by seized brakes would also be appreciated.

J

P.S 60 to strip and clean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 9th January 2009, 07:57

not sure how the VSA would make any diference.
but if one of the callipers were seized up more than the other than it wouldn't be braking the same on each side so would pull slightly to whatever side was doing more braking, if you know what i mean!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 9th January 2009, 09:06
Supporter

I believe the vsa monitors the braking of the car as well as the traction, I believe it can shift braking power to different wheels.

As for seized brakes. the seized side will be creating drag and will try to steer the car bit like a tracked vehicles, or paddle brakes on a tractor ect, it will try to turn the direction of the seized side.

Also for a while as the brake gets hotter it will increase the drag but after a while it could overheat and possible boil the fluid creating brake fade.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11th January 2009, 15:47

had the same with my rears, it was a no brainer after the amount of brake dust that the rears were chucking out from new

car felt particularly edgy on banked motorway sliproads when taken at speed

rear hubs were pretty hot, so I too would go with the brake fade theory

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page