Buying 1st Type R - Civinfo
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 20:04 Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 1st November 2015
Location: ipswich ENGLAND
Posts: 25
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Buying 1st Type R

Im going to view an FN2 type R on Friday.

Its one at a honda dealership and they have sent me a video through, the car looks in decent condition, however it doesn't have a FSH (missing a couple of stamps), they have said it will be given a major service, mot & come with 12 months honda warranty.

Its a NHB 2007 GT with 68k on the clock for just under 7k.

Should i be put off by it missing a couple of stamps even if they are giving it a major service, mot and it comes with 12 month honda warranty?

Cheers for any replies.
MattyW1985 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 20:53
Enjoying life
 
flashy's Avatar
 
Car: '06 Cosmic Grey EP3 prem CTR
Join Date: 30th June 2015
Location: Swindon ENGLAND
Posts: 8,477
Thanks: 379
Thanked 661 Times in 624 Posts
iTrader: (13)
Depends on the mileage gap, what are the service intervals?
flashy is offline  
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 21:10 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 1st November 2015
Location: ipswich ENGLAND
Posts: 25
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
9000, 20000, 50k.
MattyW1985 is offline  
 
post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 21:10
Administrator
 
Farqui's Avatar
 
Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Join Date: 29th April 2014
Location: n.Notts ENGLAND
Posts: 17,850
Thanks: 5,716
Thanked 4,156 Times in 3,852 Posts
iTrader: (31)
Eco display Eco display
Garage
The mileage is low for it's year, so warrants digging deeper.

Much can be gleaned by the overall condition of a vehicle.

FSH is nice to have but don't overlook a vehicle because it missed a stamp.

You do need to tread carefully tho and make thorough checks on it's condition.
Farqui is offline  
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 21:17 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 1st November 2015
Location: ipswich ENGLAND
Posts: 25
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farqui View Post
The mileage is low for it's year, so warrants digging deeper.

Much can be gleaned by the overall condition of a vehicle.

FSH is nice to have but don't overlook a vehicle because it missed a stamp.

You do need to tread carefully tho and make thorough checks on it's condition.
Cheers for the reply. i thinking as its coming from a honda dealer and will be checked, serviced and mot'd before its sold it may be worth it. any experience with honda warranties? do they tend to cover much?

edit: am i allowed to post the link of the video they done of it for me?
MattyW1985 is offline  
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 21:21
Administrator
 
Farqui's Avatar
 
Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Join Date: 29th April 2014
Location: n.Notts ENGLAND
Posts: 17,850
Thanks: 5,716
Thanked 4,156 Times in 3,852 Posts
iTrader: (31)
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Does the dealer have a good reputation?

There are plenty of threads re warranties, some good, some bad. In theory they give piece of mind but you need to ensure they cover the bigger bills.

Good luck.
Farqui is offline  
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 21:31
Batmobiles Rule ✌
 
Staffs Deltic's Avatar
 
Car: FK8
Join Date: 7th December 2009
Location: Stoke-on-Trent ENGLAND
Posts: 6,587
Thanks: 1,410
Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,351 Posts
iTrader: (12)
There are plenty of FN2s about with FSH. Why take the risk on one without it?
Staffs Deltic is offline  
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 21:34
Administrator
 
Farqui's Avatar
 
Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Join Date: 29th April 2014
Location: n.Notts ENGLAND
Posts: 17,850
Thanks: 5,716
Thanked 4,156 Times in 3,852 Posts
iTrader: (31)
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Good point, are there any FS on here at the moment?
Farqui is offline  
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 21:37
Enjoying life
 
flashy's Avatar
 
Car: '06 Cosmic Grey EP3 prem CTR
Join Date: 30th June 2015
Location: Swindon ENGLAND
Posts: 8,477
Thanks: 379
Thanked 661 Times in 624 Posts
iTrader: (13)
Full service history is all well and good but it doesn't necessarily tell the full story. Someone might get a car serviced each year but may not bother checking oil levels regularly. 12 months warranty is good. I'd give it a thorough check to gauge the overall condition. The missing stamps could be a good leverage for getting the price down, or get the valve clearances and plugs done.

Last edited by flashy; 2nd November 2015 at 21:42.
flashy is offline  
Thanks to flashy from:
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 21:54 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 1st November 2015
Location: ipswich ENGLAND
Posts: 25
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Full service history is all well and good but it doesn't necessarily tell the full story. Someone might get a car serviced each year but may not bother checking oil levels regularly. 12 months warranty is good. I'd give it a thorough check to gauge the overall condition. The missing stamps could be a good leverage for getting the price down, or get the valve clearances and plugs done.
Would def try and get the price down on that basis. just looked up some reviews for the garage and they weren't too great tbf.

will keep checking type r forums for one that i know will have been cared for i reckon.
MattyW1985 is offline  
Thanks to MattyW1985 from:
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 22:03
Supporter
 
AndyNo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 8th January 2009
Location: Essex ENGLAND
Posts: 165
Thanks: 24
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyW1985 View Post
Im going to view an FN2 type R on Friday.

Its one at a honda dealership and they have sent me a video through, the car looks in decent condition, however it doesn't have a FSH (missing a couple of stamps), they have said it will be given a major service, mot & come with 12 months honda warranty.

Its a NHB 2007 GT with 68k on the clock for just under 7k.

Should i be put off by it missing a couple of stamps even if they are giving it a major service, mot and it comes with 12 month honda warranty?

Cheers for any replies.
Which dealer buddy?
AndyNo1 is offline  
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 22:09 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 1st November 2015
Location: ipswich ENGLAND
Posts: 25
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyNo1 View Post
Which dealer buddy?
Gatwick honda, part of the sytner group i think its called.

cheers
MattyW1985 is offline  
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 22:11
Supporter
 
AndyNo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 8th January 2009
Location: Essex ENGLAND
Posts: 165
Thanks: 24
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyW1985 View Post
Gatwick honda, part of the sytner group i think its called.

cheers
Thought you were going to say Colchester! Trek for you.
AndyNo1 is offline  
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 22:14 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 1st November 2015
Location: ipswich ENGLAND
Posts: 25
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyNo1 View Post
Thought you were going to say Colchester! Trek for you.
tell me about it, this is the trouble they're all so far away from me. i test drove 1 the other day so know it will be worth once i have 1. just a pain finding the right 1
MattyW1985 is offline  
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 22:16 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 1st November 2015
Location: ipswich ENGLAND
Posts: 25
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
going to try and view this friday, 44 miles away. love the black version

Honda Civic 2.0 i VTEC Type R GT 3dr
MattyW1985 is offline  
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 22:16
Supporter
 
AndyNo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 8th January 2009
Location: Essex ENGLAND
Posts: 165
Thanks: 24
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyW1985 View Post
tell me about it, this is the trouble they're all so far away from me. i test drove 1 the other day so know it will be worth once i have 1. just a pain finding the right 1
I hear what you're saying buddy. At first I was looking for a Premier Edition Cosmic Grey EP3. They we're all miles away.

Have now chosen a lovely FN2. Hope to pick it up either this week or next.
AndyNo1 is offline  
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 22:18 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 1st November 2015
Location: ipswich ENGLAND
Posts: 25
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyNo1 View Post
I hear what you're saying buddy. At first I was looking for a Premier Edition Cosmic Grey EP3. They we're all miles away.

Have now chosen a lovely FN2. Hope to pick it up either this week or next.
Nice, looking forward to that feeling. did you go private or trade?
MattyW1985 is offline  
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 22:21
Supporter
 
AndyNo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 8th January 2009
Location: Essex ENGLAND
Posts: 165
Thanks: 24
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Trade mate. Got more of a come back. You get a decent warranty too.
AndyNo1 is offline  
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 22:24 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 1st November 2015
Location: ipswich ENGLAND
Posts: 25
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
yea i was thinking about that, if its private il get an RAC check done though.

Found out the hard away about checking cars properly before which cost me 3k. don't want that happening with the price of these.

Enjoy!
MattyW1985 is offline  
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 22:29
Supporter
 
AndyNo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 8th January 2009
Location: Essex ENGLAND
Posts: 165
Thanks: 24
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyW1985 View Post
yea i was thinking about that, if its private il get an RAC check done though.

Found out the hard away about checking cars properly before which cost me 3k. don't want that happening with the price of these.

Enjoy!
Hope you find a good one mate.
AndyNo1 is offline  
Reply

  Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black stereom1ke's FN2 Type R GT Deep Pearl Bronze. 1st Type R. stereom1ke Gallery (8G) 101 16th July 2012 08:52
Dealers *long post sorry* 1st time buying a Honda in the UK,pls help Petithamu Buying, Dealers and Servicing 21 22nd February 2012 16:16
Used Considering buying 1st Civic -what am I missing? steve25 Buying, Dealers and Servicing 5 28th June 2009 22:57
Type R 1st Service JWG-R-GT Type-R 13 18th February 2009 13:58
1st Post and 1st Civic scholly9 Introduce yourself 3 4th March 2007 16:37

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome