Help with lowering springs - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 18th January 2016, 21:43 Thread Starter

Car: 2010 gt type r
Help with lowering springs

Has anybody come across an issue with there lowering springs. I recently had eibach 15mil springs fitted to my fn2 with a fast road set up at the same time. I seem to have an issue with a knocking noise when turning left. Initially I thought the noise was coming from the front passenger wheel area. But I'm just not sure. I keep thinking Mabe it's the springs just settling in as I imagine they need abit of time to slightly soften up but the noise is starting to annoy me now. Has anybody else had this issue when lowering? Or something similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 18th January 2016, 23:14
Supporter

Car: 2009 CTR, Milano
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjamz View Post
Has anybody come across an issue with there lowering springs. I recently had eibach 15mil springs fitted to my fn2 with a fast road set up at the same time. I seem to have an issue with a knocking noise when turning left. Initially I thought the noise was coming from the front passenger wheel area. But I'm just not sure. I keep thinking Mabe it's the springs just settling in as I imagine they need abit of time to slightly soften up but the noise is starting to annoy me now. Has anybody else had this issue when lowering? Or something similar

Did you get the springs fitted at a garage, if so I would give them a call and explain the issue. It may be excess play in the anti rollbar drop link or perhaps a worn strut top mount. I have the same setup on mine and got the drop links replaced when the springs were fitted; there should be no bedding in period per se. Also, check that your OSF wheel nuts have been re-torqued correctly and are not loose.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 18th January 2016, 23:18 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the reply Steve T. Yes a garage fitted the springs aswell as doing a frsu. I know it's something to do with the springs being fitted as I previously never had this knocking noise. I have spoke to the garage they are more than happy to check it over as soon as I get a day off to get up to them. I was just trying to rule out anything simple and avoid going back to be honest as it's an hours drive away from were I live. Wasn't sure if it's a common thing and disappears. Guess if it persists I'll be going back, the car has only done 33k so I wouldn't have imagined drop links cv joints or anything of that nature would have excessive wear. Thanks for the reply

Thanks to slimjamz from:

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 18th January 2016, 23:21
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Steve T. Yes a garage fitted the springs aswell as doing a frsu. I know it's something to do with the springs being fitted as I previously never had this knocking noise. I have spoke to the garage they are more than happy to check it over as soon as I get a day off to get up to them. I was just trying to rule out anything simple and avoid going back to be honest as it's an hours drive away from were I live. Wasn't sure if it's a common thing and disappears. Guess if it persists I'll be going back, the car has only done 33k so I wouldn't have imagined drop links cv joints or anything of that nature would have excessive wear. Thanks for the reply

No worries... Just as an aside my droplinks were worn and needed replacing (they were knocking) and car was on 42k. You need to remove the droplinks when changing the springs so if yours have been 'disturbed' that may have contributed to your issue?

Thanks to SteveT from:
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 18th January 2016, 23:23 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I never thought about this, I guess it's not going to just disappear, no way to it other than getting it back in I guess.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 18th January 2016, 23:30
Supporter

Quote:
I never thought about this, I guess it's not going to just disappear, no way to it other than getting it back in I guess.

Afraid it's unlikely to disappear; you can check the obvious first but I'd be going back to the garage and getting the camber bolts, links, arb bushes, bump stops and top mounts checked... It may be worth bagging a set of Meyle droplinks off eBay (~40) before you go.

Thanks to SteveT from:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 19th January 2016, 10:27
Supporter

Car: 2008 CTR, Alabaster Silver
Send a message via MSN to Alanok
I wonder if garage hasn't seated the springs correctly in the top mounts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 19th January 2016, 15:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Mabe mate yea going back in a week tomoro so will see

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 30th January 2016, 23:09
Supporter

Drop links most likely buddy 🏻
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 30th January 2016, 23:10 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I sorted it, the garage said the springs had slipped out of position slightly from the top mount, put back in greased up and all good now

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 30th January 2016, 23:18
Supporter

Happy days then mate

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page