Just been run into! - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 4th March 2016, 15:10 Thread Starter

Car: 2010 NHB TYPE R GT
Send a message via MSN to blue harbour
Angry Just been run into!

I've been whacked up the rear in my Fn2 this afto whilst coming home, hasn't done that much "visible" damage that I can see, but it's what you can't see isn't it!

Anyway, my question to you guys is have any of you been punted recently and claimed, as I'm curious how likely it is that the insurance company will consider the car a write off!??

Reason I ask this is because I know one of my previous cars (a MKII MGZS 180), they were getting written off left right & centre for even minor damage simply because certain exterior trim parts were no longer available (for obvious reasons), and I know that there are some parts listed for the FN2's that you can't get any more already (interior parts granted!), but I just wondered if any of you have been unfortunate to have been in a similar situation recently, but with only fairly light external damage, but your insurers have chosen to write the car off (for one reason or another), or are they still coughing up readily enough and repairing them?

FYI the damage that I could see (it was soaking wet and snowing!!) was that it looks like the rear bumper has been pushed in as its now touching the towing eye, the osr wheel arch trim has partly been popped out of place (don't know if it's broken any clips!?), and it's scuffed the back bumper too - just above where it fits over the lower splitter assy (has GP pack fitted!) couldn't really see any more than that and obviously I don't know if it's impacted the boot floor or whether there are any crumple zone jobbies that the bumpers fitted too, and it's just squashed them a bit!??

Already called the insurance company and started the claim process, but I'd hate to loose the car over seemingly minor'ish damage (if it came to it!)

Anyone??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 4th March 2016, 15:26
Supporter

Car: 2008 Type R FN2, NHB
Unfortunately, with the FN2 currently being not particularly valuable, it's possible you'll see it written off from a rear impact. However that does largely depend on how much damage has been done.

Either way, even if it does get written off, you could always buy it back and repair it yourself as a CAT C.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 4th March 2016, 15:42

Car: 2007 2.2 ES CTDI
I have a 2007 2.2 CTDI (worth a lot less than your FN2) and I was shunted from behind last year. New bumper, repairs to lower half of tailgate, new bumper stiffener and obviously re-spray and it wasn't written off. Mine had quite a lot of visible damage. I'd be surprised if yours was written off based on your description.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 4th March 2016, 20:18 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdown130 View Post
I have a 2007 2.2 CTDI (worth a lot less than your FN2) and I was shunted from behind last year. New bumper, repairs to lower half of tailgate, new bumper stiffener and obviously re-spray and it wasn't written off. Mine had quite a lot of visible damage. I'd be surprised if yours was written off based on your description.
Sounds promising (from my pov), need to wait till the weathers good enough that I can clean the car and have a really good look at it to see just how bad (or not) it really is, I am pretty confident that there isn't enough damage to warrant writing it off, but if it is then all the money from the claim will be going to paying the finance off (got GAP cover too) so i'd end up car-less if the worst case scenario happened, and i'd have no money to buy it back &/or repair it either so i'd be screwed!

Makes it worse in a way because I've only had the car "maybe" 1 month and i'd hate to loose it and up with nothing over something so trivial, it just concerned me when I looked on Lings and started seeing parts listed as unavailable, because you then start to worry that if the wrong parts are broken - they won't be able to repair it!

probably worrying over nothing (hopefully anyway), just don't wanna loose the car for stupid reasons!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 4th March 2016, 20:27
Supporter

Car: 2007 Type R, Alabaster
FN2's are quite strong from my experience. If/when it gets repaired make sure the body shop fits the bits back correctly. I've had a nightmare with panel gaps on my front bumper after getting it fixed.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 4th March 2016, 20:27
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,156 Times in 3,852 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Sorry to hear that you've had a prang

Does the tail gate still open/close okay?

What does the boot floor loom like?

Hopefully it can be repaired cheaply.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 4th March 2016, 21:39 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farqui View Post
Sorry to hear that you've had a prang

Does the tail gate still open/close okay?

What does the boot floor loom like?

Hopefully it can be repaired cheaply.
Boot seemed to open/close easily enough, one thing that may or may not be related though, but I think the car might now be doing that anti hijack/ autolocking thing suddenly - of it's own accord, by that I mean I don't remember flipping the lever over so it locks, but when I got home I heard the locks engage - with no input from me, so i'm wondering if the impact has done something to boot lock which is ballsing up the hijack/doorlock mechanism somehow!??

Couldn't really see much of anything on the bootfloor, and obviously the back end (where the bumper attaches etc) is covered in plastic trim (which seem to break as soon as you look at them so I don't want to even entertain taking them off to see!)

time to x my fingers and hope I guess!

Must say -from what I've seen so far, his fiesta came off worse with properly cracked front bumper and grille, but i might well have missed something due to the rain/snow etc (and my car being black!) - so it didn't stand out like his Red festa!!!

Guess this is where I've got to hope that Honda's are built better and can take a whack better than a wee ford!!

Last edited by blue harbour; 4th March 2016 at 21:41.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 4th March 2016, 22:11
Supporter

Car: 2.2icdti SE alabaster silver
really sorry to hear this mate and I do hope you can sort it
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 5th March 2016, 09:26 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Just been and had a better look at the damage - now it ain't raining!, and I don't think there's much of anything that's easily visible that I've missed, found a few more scuff marks on the splitter where his car impacted mine, and the right hand bottom corner of the bumper where it meets the wheel arch trim - there must be a metal bracket inside that joins the two which sounds like it's possibly snapped and is loose'ish!

Just going to look on Cox's website to see if the GP pack is still available as mine has it fitted front & rear, and it's the rear splitter that's took the brunt of the impact (it's bent one of the fins and creased it etc)

Wondering how i'll go on with that too (It having the GP pack fitted), because it's not the standard factory part is it - but it IS a factory option!?, Hopefully it will be as simple as me making the assessor aware of this so that the right part gets ordered!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 5th March 2016, 16:36
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,156 Times in 3,852 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Good, fingers crossed it's swiftly put right.

Yeah, defo mention the splitter to the assessor.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 6th March 2016, 10:25
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8 GT Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue harbour View Post
Just been and had a better look at the damage - now it ain't raining!, and I don't think there's much of anything that's easily visible that I've missed, found a few more scuff marks on the splitter where his car impacted mine, and the right hand bottom corner of the bumper where it meets the wheel arch trim - there must be a metal bracket inside that joins the two which sounds like it's possibly snapped and is loose'ish!

Just going to look on Cox's website to see if the GP pack is still available as mine has it fitted front & rear, and it's the rear splitter that's took the brunt of the impact (it's bent one of the fins and creased it etc)

Wondering how i'll go on with that too (It having the GP pack fitted), because it's not the standard factory part is it - but it IS a factory option!?, Hopefully it will be as simple as me making the assessor aware of this so that the right part gets ordered!
Get it over to Gilder's Honda at Lockhart Lane and get it inspected. Only a dealer can really tell you if anything is wrong as it needs to be up on the ramps and properly inspected by someone who knows what to look for. Whether or not they'll charge you for an assessment is a different matter, but it would be worth a 1/2 hr charge in any event. It's better to cough up £35 than fix it yourself for £100, settle with the other party and then find there's something you missed that costs hundreds.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page