Tyres - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 9th March 2016, 18:18 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: Milano fn2
Tyres

What tyre's have people got on their cars because if its bit damp and I drop it into third to overtake and hit VTEC I'm spinning the tyres up and front end is snaking all over the place lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 9th March 2016, 18:56

Car: 2010 CTR GT DSB
Don't think tyres would make a difference.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 9th March 2016, 19:28
Living the dream!

Thanked 1,199 Times in 1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG59 View Post
Don't think tyres would make a difference.

Yes they will a big difference, a cheap tyre can have really poor wet grip that is about as sticky as chip fat to a Teflon pan while a good wet weather tyre would stick like s%^t to a blanket

You get what you pay for with tyres always and it is the only thing that keeps the car under control and pointing the right way.

for example a good tyre http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogu...&tyre=30862498

review I cannot believe the Goodyear tyres make compared to the budgets I had on before. The noise reduction is unbelievable, never again will I buy budget - Goodyears all the way

and a cheap tyre http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogu...&tyre=33516131

review
When you just need to keep a car legal, this option was ideal. Two 255x35x18 tyres for 150?! Done. Trading down from Dunlop Sport Maxx I wasn't expecting much.. and honestly, you can sense the reduction in grip straight away in the dry and I found the tyre is more prone to aquaplane. Drive within the limit of the tyre however and it should last you 20k miles as mine did!! For the price, amazing.,

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 9th March 2016, 19:46 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Car: Milano fn2
Heard good things about rain sport 3's?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 9th March 2016, 20:11
Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2 ctdi Sport
I certainly wouldn't be spending that much on Eagle F1's when there are tyres like the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta around...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 9th March 2016, 20:30
Living the dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skomaz View Post
I certainly wouldn't be spending that much on Eagle F1's when there are tyres like the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta around...
Yeah I had a set of these years ago and the grip is awesome but they are very soft and Wear quickly making them not very good value for money in my opinion especially when you shop around you can find the good years ago around 85 each.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 9th March 2016, 20:50
Supporter

Car: 2007 2.0IVTEC FN2 Black
I'm running michelin pilot sport 3 on back and 4s on the front and grips really well
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 9th March 2016, 21:01
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickHondaR View Post
Yeah I had a set of these years ago and the grip is awesome but they are very soft and Wear quickly making them not very good value for money in my opinion especially when you shop around you can find the good years ago around 85 each.
I managed to get two eagle F1's fully fitted for 130. Much better than the budget rubbish the garage put on before I bought the car.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 9th March 2016, 21:04
retroppuS

Car: 2007 CTR FN2, Milano Red
I'm running pilot sport 3s all round and they are very good in the wet and dry! Very impressed!

As rick said, tyres make a huge difference! People neglect tyres, which they should do at their own peril.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 9th March 2016, 23:11
Supporter

Quote:
Far point but I just paid 56 per corner for the vreds so you could have two sets for the price noted earlier... And having run the F1s I found they got noisy as they wore down and absolutely useless in anything cold and slushy or snowy.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10th March 2016, 05:08
Living the dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skomaz View Post
And having run the F1s I found they got noisy as they wore down and absolutely useless in anything cold and slushy or snowy.

to be honest I am not surprised as they are a summer tyre designed for a high performance car and not a winter tyre designed for snow
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10th March 2016, 08:59
Fox Main

Car: Milano Red FN2
Just had Yokohama blue earths on, as they were an A for wet grip on black circles, and had a tenner or fifteen quid off I think; set me back 89 per tyre.

Comparable to the Conti sports that were taken off to replace.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10th March 2016, 09:15
Supporter

Quote:
to be honest I am not surprised as they are a summer tyre designed for a high performance car and not a winter tyre designed for snow
Yes I'm well aware of that! I've run the F1's...

The point I was making was that the tread design (basically three circumferential sipes and no cross sipes) is poor. Other tyres, with a different tread layout (the Vredestien Sessanatas or Sportrac 3's for instance, or a Rainsport 3 with a decent tread design) perform equally well in summer but far better than the F1's in other conditions.

I've run the F1's and dn't get me wrong, in summer they are good, but they are a one horse pony. In about 1cm of light slush or snow haven't been able to get off my drive, the car sat there with the front wheels spinning at tickover. That to me is a poor tyre design and has never happened with any other tyres I've had fitted in 30 years of driving.

Personally I'd rather have a tyre that performs as well as the F1's in summer but also performs better than them in the other conditions that we meet for a large proportion of our year here in the UK. I therefore avoid tyres with the same type of tread layout as the F1's, do my research and find something else better.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10th March 2016, 09:55
Supporter

Car: Accord Tourer 2.2 ES-GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillinja999 View Post
Heard good things about rain sport 3's?
I can vouch for the rainsport 3's amazing wet and dry grip and slightly cheaper than F1's
Thanks to YoTeague from:

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page