Exhaust and inlet manifolds ? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th April 2016, 18:51 Thread Starter
Supporter

Exhaust and inlet manifolds ?

Ok so I'm abit of a noob with how cars work so excuse an stupid sounding questions I'm still learning.

I'm looking into manifold an exhaust systems ATM I have a milltek cat to back which was on the car when I bought it and wondering about racing headers an sports cats an I'm unsure how they work an what would be best with what I have ATM as I know a decat won't pass an mot an don't want to mess about changing them over every year as I imagine it won't be easy.

What gains would you expect to see changing anything in front of my milltek ?

Also been looking at the inlet manifold which I believe connect to the throttle body just below the fuel injectors.

What gains would I get changing just an inlet manifold an what difference would that make as well as possible throttle body change ?

What other things can I change to help improve performance ?

I have a hks induction kit also fitted.
An have looked into hondata flashpros abit too.

Would like to know what things will
Improve performance before an map by just fitting them and what will only improve after have a remap ?

I see a lot of people sayin different things all the time so finding it hard to understand some things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th April 2016, 20:40
Supporter

Really pal in terms of performance befor remap your a little limited...,a hks and exhaust is about as far as you can go.....racing header is one of the best and most noticeable mods on the fn2 well worth doing but will require a remap....even if you keep you exhaust cat then a remap would still be fit you just with hks and exhaust allbeit minor performance increase its still better than standard
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th April 2016, 21:34
Supporter

Car: None
Garage
Intake manifold for FN2 may need different throttle body I cant remember. Gives around 5 bhp gain, mostly 7000 rpm plus. Lot of money for small gains, but maybe a nice mod to finish off in conjunction with other bits IMO.

Exhaust manifold will see nice mid range and top end gains. Solid fabrications made two for me with a sports cat - my last FN2 and current EP3. Could see 20 bhp top end, and 20-30 bhp in midrange. Decat may give you an extra 5 bhp over that.

Needs mapping but you have flashpro so that can be done.

Beware all dynos and operators differ. The key is a decent map from a known tuner, and the before and after feeling.

After manifolds you're looking at cams for N/A work. Costs rapidly increase.

Oh and FD2 oil pump is a good upgrade, less internal losses so gains 5-10 bhp no map required.

OR go forced induction?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th April 2016, 21:37
Supporter

Car: None
Garage
Didnt realise you hadnt yet got flashpro, thats quite expensive on its own.

Flashpro and the group N map are popular. Maybe try that before buying parts?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 19th April 2016, 02:11
Supporter

Car: 2016, Polished Metal Type R
Garage
The gains from changing infront of the exhaust is mid range power. The standard parts are very restrictive. While you don't see massive increase in bhp figures, you get better performance throughout the rev range. You no longer have to change down 3 gears to overtake anything as there is more power in the middle of the power band.

Unfortunately most exhaust manifolds come without the cat. Piper do one on the down pipe, or you could get on put into the exhaust itself Tegiwa sell a 400 cell cat that can do into the mid box.

The inlet manifold will give you again lots more mid range power and a small increase in bhp. Both of the above bits will require mapping and you will need to get a flashpro, or a license from somebody like TDI. As they can now do mapping without the purchase of a Flashpro.

If you do go down that route, buy all three and then get it mapped in one go. This will be cheaper for you. With your HKS and Milltek you will see something in the region of 230bhp. And a completely different car, the drive ability lots more midrange power. The throttle body will give you a tiny increase in bhp.

Unfortunately the Type R is very expensive to extract performance from unless you go forced induction. You can spend anything up to 5k on manifolds, exhausts and cams and see at the most about 250bhp. Or you can get a Sport SC kit on a standard car and see 300bhp for 3k! Guess I know which way I should have gone now. Oh well live and learn.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 19th April 2016, 08:08 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

What's. Sport sc kit ?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 19th April 2016, 09:11
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley6605 View Post
What's. Sport sc kit ?

Sport SuperCharger pal
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 19th April 2016, 09:18
Supporter

Car: 2016, Polished Metal Type R
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley6605 View Post
What's. Sport sc kit ?

Sorry Ashley, should wrote it out in full. But what Sam said.

Have a look at TTS Performance or TDI North's website. They have the Supercharge kits listed and some information regarding each one.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page