FN2 Tyre Troubles / Veering while accelerating - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 20th April 2016, 01:27 Thread Starter

Question FN2 Tyre Troubles / Veering while accelerating

Hi,

I bought a 2011 Civic Type-R GT FN2 in October last year and it has been amazing to drive up until recently..

The roads I regularly drive on are covered in pot holes so it is impossible not to hit them, I started experiencing the car wobble / feel uneven while driving..

I took my car to Kwik-Fit to get the wheels aligned, they found that the tyre pressures were miles off what they should have been, so they re-aligned the wheels and set the correct pressures.

They also informed me that one of the tyre tread depth needed attention and advised me to replace that tyre, so I did.

After they replaced the tyre (this was on the front left of the car), while driving, the car would veer to the left, a noticable amount so that I could take my hands off the steering wheel while going round a long left corner and easily get round...

After weeks of veering to the left while driving I decided to investigate, I swapped the two front tyres, so what was on the front left, was now on the front right and vice versa..

After taking the car for a drive, the car now veered to the right...

I took it back into Kwik-Fit and they were baffled, so they swapped both front tyres to the rear, and the rear two to the front...

I took it out for a drive and it seemed to drive in a straight line while taking my hands off the steering wheel...

Although while driving at slow speeds it stays in a straight line, I have noticed that when I accelerate hard it now veers to the right, and I can definitely feel a bad wobble / uneven drive at the rear of the car..

The previous owner of the car must have repaired the rear right alloy as there is a weld mark but the wobble feels to come from the new tyre (rear left).

I have never experienced the hard veer to the right while accelerating until they moved this new tyre and repaired alloy to the rear of the car.

The rear two tyres are 19" Continentals and the front two tyres are 19" Dunlops.

Has anybody got any ideas or experiences similar to this?

Thanks,
Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 20th April 2016, 12:14
Supporter

Car: FN2
Garage
old worn tyre on the right.... new grippy tyre on the left.... hmm i wonder which would grip better....

So if the grippy tyre is on the left and the car pulls to the left... would that suggest that the car is gripping slightly more on its left hand side?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 20th April 2016, 13:39

Car: White Type-R (FN2) GT
I've got the same issue with mine...it veers to the left.

To be honest I haven't checked the alignment, but the tyres have sufficient air in them and the grip on them seem fine.

I've got a bit of an ongoing saga with mine where its losing a bit of power and bottom end acceleration is lacking a bit compared to what it was.

I think the front brake calipers sticking could be causing this...it's a bit of a guessing game to be fair.

I had the drivers side caliper refurbed a while ago....then I was playing with my brakes to see if the left one was catching and put the brakes down quite hard....I felt a grinding through the pedal...ever since then it's veered to the left. I since then had the left one refurbed aswell....but it's still doing it but not as much.
I also can sometimes hear a metal knocking noise coming from front left suspension are when going over a bumpy road....think this could be drop links or CV joint?? Haven't had that checked yet

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 20th April 2016, 20:46 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

thanks both for your replies, the new tyre is now on the rear left and when i accelerate the car pulls to the right...

I'm going to take it into ABP Motorsport and get them to have a test drive and full alignment etc (whatever they suggest really)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 22nd April 2016, 18:48
Supporter

I was advised by a good mechanic friend to always change wheels in pairs, if the aligment + balancing are all good and your suspension is good order the only other variable is the tyres them selves.

Save yourself some cash getting more people to look at it and just get the other side changed to the same brand.

Im 99% sure that would solve your problem.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 4th May 2016, 20:55 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the reply!

I've ordered 4 new Yokohama tyres so that will hopefully sort out all my issues...

I have been told that the repair on one of my alloys has a crack on it.. however I don't know much about alloys and need some help on where to buy 'Rage' alloys..

I've looked everywhere but can't see any Rage make? Can anyone suggest and help me direct me on this please?

I have 19" rage alloys that came with the car, they are twin 5 spoke i think but i don't know the make and can't see any make on the actual alloys..

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated!

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Tags
alignment , fn2 , steering , veering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page