How do you feel about the CTR Now... - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 3rd February 2007, 19:00 Thread Starter

How do you feel about the CTR Now...

This past week has been CTR overload there’s been so many reviews, information and road test that my brain feels like it's going to explode. I have a CTR ordered for the 1st March and I can't wait, but it's been a bit disappointing reading these 50/50 reviews, but hey I am not the kind of person that makes decisions based on another person opinion. I normally know what I like more then any reviewer out there and remember a review is one person opinion which can easily be persuaded one way or the other. Anyway here are more thoughts on some of the negative feedback the CTR has been getting.
  • Some of the personal reviews are coming from people who already spent £16,000+ on a 2006 civic and cannot really afford or justify the change to a CTR (If I was in there position neither would I) so they maybe a little bitter. I mean you read on the forums people saying... “Oh am so glad now that I bought my 06 Civic and not a CTR” or “looks like I made the right choice after all” or “My Diesel Civic is better and faster the CTR”. If the CTR came out in 06 along with the standard Civic I wonder what car they would have really chosen given the choice.
  • The type r enthusiast is going to have a hard time liking the new CTR because it’s not the type r of 4 years ago, the market has changed and the CTR has changed along with it. It's different it more modern, it's more comfort & style, more grown up and less boy racer. This is exactly what I like about it. I personally was not a fan of the old type r because it just seemed to empty and plain but saying that I can appreciate it as being a brilliant car but just not for me. The CTR now is the right car for me as it has the right balance to suite my life style.
  • I haven't driven one yet so I can't comment on how it drives compared to the Golf, Focus and VXR etc but come on the CTR is much better than the other cars in its class both the interior and exterior are far superior, the interior on all other cars now look really dated compared to the Civics. This of course is just my personal opinion and CTR has such a distinctive look, that it might not be liked by everyone.
What makes me laugh is that Honda did exactly what the media and fans of the old type r wanted, and those same people are still complaining

So the question is after all these reviews and test how do you feel about the CTR now.

I feel much better now all that’s all off my chest roll on the 1st March
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 3rd February 2007, 19:21
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
You make some very interesting points there, Its always difficult to make truly informed decisions based upon reviews and media coverage as it is mostly opinion. I think anyone that buys a car without driving it is very foolish and the same can be said of the Type-R, it can be an expensive mistake down the line if not carefully considered. I think if the Type-R had been available when i bought my car i would have had a more difficult decision but I can't justify changing now to what is essentially a less practical car. In terms of performance, Pottsy has already shown what can be achieving with chipping the diesel engine so really theres not much to gain from upgrading (for me anyway). Others will be different. I still desire the car and want one, but head over heart and I'm happy enough! I hope you enjoy the car when it arrives
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 3rd February 2007, 19:26
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
I have trouble deciding between GTi and chipped diesel. Hence I nearly went for the Golf GTi and diesel, as well as the Civ.

If I were buying now, I'd get the CTR and forever wonder if I should have bought the Type S diesel. I reckon the S would be better 90% of the time, but I really need the 10% that the CTR can offer every so often.

You will have fun in it, don't worry!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 3rd February 2007, 19:52
King of the rodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
I reckon the S would be better 90% of the time!
In what respect?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 3rd February 2007, 21:45 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I agree with both of your comments I definitely will be going for a test drive before I buy, am sure am going to love it. Wouldn’t it be interesting to see the results of a chipped type r?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 4th February 2007, 12:21
Administrator

Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechplastik View Post
In what respect?
Similar acceleration mid revs (more if chipped) and better mpg.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 4th February 2007, 12:50 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Does chipping your car not void your warranty?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 4th February 2007, 13:35

Only if they find out, and can prove that the remap caused the component(s) to fail.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 4th February 2007, 16:20
Administrator

Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr w1z View Post
Does chipping your car not void your warranty?
As Dawson says, only if they find out or even care (dealers like warranty work, it pays well). But on my car Superchips provide a warranty on anything voided on the manufacturers warranty by the chip.

So in my case, no.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 4th February 2007, 18:39
King of the rodeo

Can i ask a really stupid question? I don't know why I'm asking if I can ask, I'm asking anyway....

Whats the difference between 'chipping' and 'remapping'?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 5th February 2007, 08:38

A remapped Type-R would have very little difference, remapping only has a really significant effect on Turbo-Chaarged cars.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 5th February 2007, 08:50
Supporter

I still love the CTR as I did before.. The 1.8 I have is a lease car, and my lease budget doesn't allow me to buy a CTR (not yet ), so the 1.8 is a good choice for me.
I also read a lot of reviews about how fast the CTR is in comparison to the Focus, GTI or VXR...
The civic is the only without turbo and just a 2.0... So I don't really give a **** if a 2.5 turbo is faster than the CTR (if it is). I can only laugh about the fact that it is faster than all other cars with a similar engine..
And yes, I know it is a hot hatch and should compete with the Focus, VXR and yes if Honda would have put a turbo on it, it would be even more fun!!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 5th February 2007, 23:13
King of the rodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tydo View Post
A remapped Type-R would have very little difference, remapping only has a really significant effect on Turbo-Chaarged cars.
I meant in general.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 5th February 2007, 23:17
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechplastik View Post
Can i ask a really stupid question? I don't know why I'm asking if I can ask, I'm asking anyway....

Whats the difference between 'chipping' and 'remapping'?
to answer this bit first
Not a lot, in terms of end results

In the 'old' days, the only way to remap your car was by physically removing the chip from the ECU, and replacing it with a new one (that held the new map).
More recently, it has become possible to put the new map(s) onto the existing chip without the need to touch anything (typically via an ODBC port).

This is a sweeping generalisation, as the 'old' days still applies to some cars today, and 'more recently' is more like in the last few years.

But basically, 'chipping' strictly means a physical chip swap, and 'remapping' generally means no physical swap.
But people often use either term to mean the same thing

Did that help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr w1z View Post
  • Some of the personal reviews are coming from people who already spent £16,000+ on a 2006 civic and cannot really afford or justify the change to a CTR (If I was in there position neither would I) so they maybe a little bitter. I mean you read on the forums people saying... “Oh am so glad now that I bought my 06 Civic and not a CTR” or “looks like I made the right choice after all” or “My Diesel Civic is better and faster the CTR”. If the CTR came out in 06 along with the standard Civic I wonder what car they would have really chosen given the choice.
I'll pick up on this one, as it applies to me

If I was buying new today, instead of 6 months ago, would I go for my (pretty much) fully spec'd 2.2 EX, or an equivalent spec CTR... or a 2.2 Type S?

Ignoring, for the moment, that number 1 consideration for this car was that it had to have 5 seats (and the CTR doesn't...)

It would have been a close call. LOL.

5 doors - handy, but coming from the TT, we've lived with 2
2.2 with a remap - so far looks quicker than a CTR in normal use.
and uses less fuel.

BUT...
as Pottsy said, on that odd occasion...

And - how long before the tuning companies start producing bolt on goodies for the CTR...

In the end, I'm glad I got the EX 6 months ago

If only cos back then it was a simple choice LOL
Remapped
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 6th February 2007, 09:52

I'd still love to own a Type-R for the 5 % of the time I'm on the road on my own but practicality dictates I need the Magic Seats, good Fuel Economy and 5 Doors.

And for the 5% of the time when I'd like a Type-R I'd rather spend the money on either the old CTR or a good Integra Type-R.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 6th February 2007, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDegs View Post
5 doors - handy, but coming from the TT, we've lived with 2
2.2 with a remap - so far looks quicker than a CTR in normal use.
and uses less fuel.

BUT...
as Pottsy said, on that odd occasion...

And - how long before the tuning companies start producing bolt on goodies for the CTR...

In the end, I'm glad I got the EX 6 months ago

If only cos back then it was a simple choice LOL
Remapped

Now, check this link and you'll notice a little sentence:
"It develops 295bhp as part of a kit which could be fitted to British-market Civic Type Rs."

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...963/mugen.html

With that supercharger CTR would be a killer
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 6th February 2007, 14:00
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
indeed

and very nice that would be too

but without wanting to put too much of a downer on it...
IF it fits the new CTR, it's not gonna be cheap

But if it does, it would make driving a FWD car interesting! (in a fun, try and avoid the hedges, sort of way )
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 6th February 2007, 14:46

Quote:
Similar acceleration mid revs (more if chipped) and better mpg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDegs View Post
indeed

and very nice that would be too

but without wanting to put too much of a downer on it...
IF it fits the new CTR, it's not gonna be cheap

But if it does, it would make driving a FWD car interesting! (in a fun, try and avoid the hedges, sort of way )
I think that also.That much power needs so much control and if it would be fitted the first curve pit would be yours
It would be an adventure on wet road
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 7th February 2007, 09:12

Car: 2007 Type-R
Quote:
As Dawson says, only if they find out or even care (dealers like warranty work, it pays well). But on my car Superchips provide a warranty on anything voided on the manufacturers warranty by the chip.

So in my case, no.
I wonder if superchips will bring one out for the type-r
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 7th February 2007, 09:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ummer5 View Post
I wonder if superchips will bring one out for the type-r
Probably, but I wouldn't use it.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page