2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

2008 FN2 Engine boggy when coming off throttle

5K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  RiskyFire 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, its my first post here.

I have 2008 FN2 and recently the engine seems to be a bit sluggish when cruising at a constant speed or when coming off the gas. The revs don't seem to drop down as smooth as they used too, at least that's how it feels. Its a bit like driving a car with choke on, on a cold morning.

But the car accelerates fine and idle's fine too.

I've replaced the spark plugs, air filter and also tried a add to fuel ignition system cleaner but still have not solved the issue.

Any ideas please?

#2 ·
hi there usualy on the k20 engine in the crv and accord a dirty throttle body gives simptoms like this
it might be worth removing the throttle body and giving it a good clean with some carb cleaner or brake cleaner
when the throttle body is off you might as well clean the idle control valve stepper motor as these can gunk up as well

#5 ·
Thanks everyone for replying. No modifications have been made to car.

I've been doing a bit more reading and I'm starting to think it could be a PCV Valve, another guy had very similar symptoms to me. Could it be? I'll check it out tomorrow and see if anything obvious is wrong.

#6 ·
The pcv valve is located to the left of intake manifold, the pipe runs from the centre of the intake manifold to the pcv valve. Usually you will hear a kind of gurgling/rasping sound on tickover. If you squeeze the pcv pipe and the noise disappears this usually indicates a faulty pcv valve. I replaced mine last year.

#14 ·
Ok. I've replaced the valve, its a bit fiddly but got it done.

You can hear the new valve working when the hose is squeezed now, sounds like a little suction sound and before it
made that rasping squeeling type noise.

The engine is running better when coming off the gas, not quite perfect but definitely feels much better.

Thanks for all the help Flashy & Everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.