Considering either FN2 Type R or CR-Z - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 25th February 2017, 22:45 Thread Starter

Considering either FN2 Type R or CR-Z

Hey guys just joined the forum after lurking for a while so thought I would introduce myself. I'm currently driving a BMW 325i M Sport and seriously considering an FN2 Type R GT or a CR-Z.

I pretty much had my mind made up on a Milano red FN2, I have been for a shot in one and like the way it drives etc and have also done my research on them so know about all the common issues and things to look out for when buying. The thing that has now put doubt in my head is that I have been reading on the detailing forums that hondas have butter soft paint that swrils very easily, I'm very into detailing and like my paint perfect and to stay that way so if this is the case that it marks so easily it could be a deal breaker for me.

My other concern is that I'm coming from a BMW which may be better build quality etc but I'm justifying this by the fact that the Honda will be a good bit newer and a lot less miles. Also worried that the FN2 type r may be harder to live with putting up with the stiff ride and just the fact that it's a little more hardcore than my BMW.

This brings me to the CR-Z, again for the money I'm spending I can get newer and less miles than a CTR. I'm thinking even though not as fast this may be easier to live with, softer ride, great Mpg, low tax etc. I really do like how the CR-Z look I actually prefer it's looks over the FN2, just wish they made a type r version as I think the lack of grunt could be a problem

My reasons for changing cars is my BMW is now 12 years old and coming up for 100k miles don't get me wrong it's never let me down but I feel it's time to let it go plus I'm going to be doing a longer commute so want something newer and less miles which may be more up to the task.

So to summarise my concerns are
Soft paint
Hard ride
Not as refined as BMW

So what do use do use recon should in make the move and if so CTR or CR-Z ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 26th February 2017, 01:33

Car: 57 plate CTR GT
I moved from a 150k mileage 2001 530D sport to a CTR just under a month ago, For me personally i cant drive underpowered cars, i need/want something with a bit of get up and go, is it as well built as the BMW? no, but my BMW was a 40,000+ car when new so its unfair to compare quality & refinement in that respect against an 18,000 hatchback

Does it have a hard ride? yes, but its a Type R so its to be expected, it's not the hardest riding car i've ever owned though, the thing about the harder ride is it gives you go-kart like steering and handling compared to the BMW

the paint i cant comment on yet as i haven't had a decent day of weather to do a full detail on it yet, I remember detailing a black EP3 years ago for someone and it being a bit of a mare when using my rotary polisher, i just ended up doing it by hand as it was easier, its like anything in detailing you have to gauge each car differently and on its own condition, Milano red probably wouldn't be as bad for showing up marring/hologramming compared to night hawk black...the paint is a bit of a mute point though cos your other option is still a Honda so your gonna need to learn to work with the soft paint regardless.

Get a test drive of one, there are things it outshines the BMW on, like the shifter on the CTR is one of the nicest Ive ever had, the VTEC howl is also nice when you hit it.

Last edited by weegaz22; 26th February 2017 at 01:36.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 26th February 2017, 09:09
Supporter

Car: 2010 FN2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C FN2 View Post

So to summarise my concerns are
Soft paint
Hard ride
Not as refined as BMW

Thanks
With what you've said I'm not sure an FN2 is for you. The paint isn't great (my Crystal Black 2010 car is badly swirled), the ride is hard and it definitely isn't as refined as a BMW, although the interior is nice and the seats very comfy. It sounds to me like a newer Beemer might be the thing for you.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 26th February 2017, 11:31 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the input guys and its also good to hear from someone that has moved from BMW to Honda !

As much as i would like a newer BMW for the money I'm spending it would still be an old car with fairly high miles and would probably make more sense to just keep what i have.

After thinking about the soft paint issue its something i would really need to live with myself to see if it was for me. My BMW has non OEM paint on every panel so its not really a fair comparison to say its BMW paint VS Honda paint, for all i know the Honda paint could be harder than whats on my current car. Its definitely not the hardest of paints but it is manageable, roughly needs a refining polish once a year to remove a light build up of marring caused when washing even though I'm very careful. So my thinking is as I'm used to dealing with aftermarket black paint OEM Milano red may not be so bad and if i went for a CR-Z it would be white so even better again, plus the new car would be getting ceramic coatings applied which should help out a good bit. As i said its something i would just need to find out for myself and in hindsight not the best question to ask on a forum

One thing i will say is I'm amazed at how good the paint looked on the CTR i viewed at Parks Honda when i know the way they wash their cars.....

I have toyed with the idea of keeping my current car but its really needing a respray if I'm ever going to be content with it, its nothing major but its an old car and most panels have a least something thats needing attention. It just makes no sense to spend that type of money on such an old car though and i just feel i would be happier in something a lot newer, lower miles and a fair bit tidier even if its not a BMW.

Whatever i do end up getting i will keep for around 1 year as a stopgap until i can get a lease or depending on how much i like it i may end up keeping it longer. Im going to be doing considerably more miles and i just feel my BMW at 12 years old its best to part ways with it now while everything is good with the car.

I suppose the real sensible option is to keep my current car and spend nothing on it or sell it and just get a little run around but where is the fun in that, i still like having a nice car that i like.....

I will need to go and get a shot of a CR-Z I'm really liking the look of them !

Last edited by Mark C FN2; 26th February 2017 at 11:36.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 26th February 2017, 12:05

Car: 57 plate CTR GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C FN2 View Post
Thanks for the input guys and its also good to hear from someone that has moved from BMW to Honda !

As much as i would like a newer BMW for the money I'm spending it would still be an old car with fairly high miles and would probably make more sense to just keep what i have.

After thinking about the soft paint issue its something i would really need to live with myself to see if it was for me. My BMW has non OEM paint on every panel so its not really a fair comparison to say its BMW paint VS Honda paint, for all i know the Honda paint could be harder than whats on my current car. Its definitely not the hardest of paints but it is manageable, roughly needs a refining polish once a year to remove a light build up of marring caused when washing even though I'm very careful. So my thinking is as I'm used to dealing with aftermarket black paint OEM Milano red may not be so bad and if i went for a CR-Z it would be white so even better again, plus the new car would be getting ceramic coatings applied which should help out a good bit. As i said its something i would just need to find out for myself and in hindsight not the best question to ask on a forum

One thing i will say is I'm amazed at how good the paint looked on the CTR i viewed at Parks Honda when i know the way they wash their cars.....

I have toyed with the idea of keeping my current car but its really needing a respray if I'm ever going to be content with it, its nothing major but its an old car and most panels have a least something thats needing attention. It just makes no sense to spend that type of money on such an old car though and i just feel i would be happier in something a lot newer, lower miles and a fair bit tidier even if its not a BMW.

Whatever i do end up getting i will keep for around 1 year as a stopgap until i can get a lease or depending on how much i like it i may end up keeping it longer. Im going to be doing considerably more miles and i just feel my BMW at 12 years old its best to part ways with it now while everything is good with the car.

I suppose the real sensible option is to keep my current car and spend nothing on it or sell it and just get a little run around but where is the fun in that, i still like having a nice car that i like.....

I will need to go and get a shot of a CR-Z I'm really liking the look of them !
sounds like you are where i was a month ago, My mot was due and i knew it was going to start costing me so rather than pay all that cash out on an old car i went out looking for something newer, had nothing in mind, only thing that caught my eye was a Focus ST, a few days later went out again and seen a few Type R's and went for a drive in one, it needed a little bit of work but nothing beyond my ability.

if your only having it a year is it just not better to just hold on to the BMW?
or buy something a bit more "Hardcore" like a DC5 and after you get your lease car in a year keep it as a weekend toy/trackday car.

many options

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page