FN2 suddenly feels like a gripless jelly! - Civinfo
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 25th May 2017, 17:38 Thread Starter

FN2 suddenly feels like a gripless jelly!

Hi guys, just joined to pick your brains, as every time I search for answers, Google points me here every time!

I've owned a 2008 FN2 for a few months now, and everything was going well. A couple of new tyres, some free warranty work on the roof rust, and a shiny new piper exhaust is all I've had to do to it.......until this weekend just gone.

I had the front-right subframe mounting 'click' noise, which I sorted at the weekend, with brake cleaner, compressed air, some cloths, and some grease. But this week, the car feels like the wheels are on sideways. At 40mph, gently weaving from side to side, the back end feels like it's constantly playing catchup. An odd way to describe it would be it's a bit like a squirrels tail, or a rope when you whip it so a wave travels down it!

Also, I have very little grip at even ordinary speeds, and a faster snap on the wheel, sees the stability control wildly grabbing at the brakes to get it all straightened out. All delivered with a huge understeer judder when it does.

I'm utterly confused. We just jacked up all four corners, one after the other. Tyres are healthy and properly inflated (uniroyal RainSport 3's, all new), the shocks aren't leaking, there's no play in any of the mounts or bearings.

Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 25th May 2017, 19:59
Supporter

Hard to diagnose but need to get back on ramps and double check everything.

Blind guess but have geo checked and components related to this in case worn.

Depending where your based get booked into good garage if youve checked everything you possibly can yourself

Keep us updated
lufc_lad likes this.
Thanks to vti444 from:
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 25th May 2017, 20:11
Enjoying life

Car: '06 Cosmic Grey EP3 prem CTR
Did you torque the subframe bolts?
Thanks to flashy from:

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 25th May 2017, 21:24 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Torque figures I found ranged from 43 to 76 ft/lb..........I went for the upper range! A lot of people seem to just nail them as hard as they can! Not sure what effect that'd have on the overall handling though. I've heard people mention that they should be replaced, due to stretching. Seems pretty extreme though??

I'm gonna get it up on stands over the weekend and have a good dig around. I'm also going to let most of the air out of the tyres and pump them up again, using a different pressure gauge, just in case I'm actually driving around at 50psi. They don't feel like rocks though, so I'm erring on the side of trusting they're correct, and that my compressor hasn't screwed me over!
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 25th May 2017, 21:38
Enjoying life

Springs reseat ok?
Thanks to flashy from:
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 25th May 2017, 21:58 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

They seem to be in the correct place. We didn't undo the subframe enough to have them shift really. I did the entire cleanup with a 4mm separation between the two parts. Cans of brake cleaner and compressed air, and the edge of a cloth, moistened with fast degreaser/panel wipe. It was a loud click, considering it wasn't really in a terribly filthy state.

I've found another guide that says the main bolt that runs right through should be 106n.m, and the three others should be 60n.m. All I can do is try everything. It might not even be related to that fix. Confusing!
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 26th May 2017, 18:36 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I'll be having a look this weekend, then probably sending it out to be tracked and given the once over next week. But, quick question, has anyone ever had any issues with tyre dressing sprays getting into the rubber and making things slick? Being a biker (sometimes), I know that tyre dressings are a big no-no, as it'll kill you when you tip into the first corner you get to!

I only ask, as when I drove to work this morning, it didn't feel nearly as bad as driving home tonight, after sitting in the sun all day. I'm wondering if tyre dressing is on/in the rubber, and is sweating out as the day heats up. I generally apply tyre dressing after a wash, so the car sits for a day or so, until I commute to work the following Monday. Could the Auto Glym stuff I'm using be doing bad things?
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 26th May 2017, 20:43
Supporter

its only really applied to the side walls so i wouldn't have thought so.

Also if it was on the tread i would think it would soon disappear while driving.
Thanks to Spike85 from:
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 26th May 2017, 21:42

Car: 0A Red Civic Sport
Garage
Sounds like my Civic with its new tyres... Uniroyal Rainsport 3's.

* Dramatic music playing *

There are some other people on the forum with similar issues. Seems like the Civic does not go well with Uniroyal.
Thank You to chillidog from 2 Users:
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 26th May 2017, 22:56
Supporter

Car: 2009 ctr,milano
Garage
could be sidewall`s are more with uni`s...had a similar experience when I changed from bridgestone Potenza`s,which have a short wall...to G/Y F1 assy3`s,which have a fatter wall...result..a bit jellyfish but got used to it over the years...doesn`t bug me like the cabin rattles n clicks on our rubbish roads these days!!!
Ngalvin likes this.
Thanks to sonar usbl from:
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 27th May 2017, 11:17 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

If it's the tyres, that's worrying! Annoying too. I don't want to drive a car where merely changing lanes feels like a knife-edge experience!!
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 27th May 2017, 11:55
Enjoying life

Are they XL?
Ngalvin likes this.
Thanks to flashy from:
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 27th May 2017, 13:59
Supporter

Car: 2007 1.8 EX iShift 5DR
All new tyres take about 500 miles for the factory applied lubricant to dissipate ad for them to be considered road worthy. If you've just literally put them on and giving it some beans you need to back off.

Its the same with new brakes.
Thanks to lightningslow from:
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 27th May 2017, 21:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

The tyres have more than enough miles on them now. The car was driving fine until this week. I'm suspecting the loosening of the subframe has altered something enough to screw things up.

Annoying, but not catastrophic. My usual garage have apparently got themselves a nice fancy new laser setup for tracking etc, so I'll have them take a look at it this week. If it's all straight, and all my bushes, springs and shocks are OK, then the tyres go straight on ebay!!
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 28th May 2017, 11:35 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Right, my first question to answer is one I should have answered yesterday, but like an idiot, I forgot! Are the tyres XL? Yes

So this morning, I've had her up on ramps, removed the three bolts on the plate, and slackened off the main 17mm bolt. I've then torqued everything back up to spec. The difference this time, is I did it with the suspension loaded up, rather than on an axle stand on a non-moving component. I was wondering whether having the suspension hanging slack may have put things back in a slightly different place. Who knows? At this point, I'm fishing!

Been out for a test drive, and it still feels a bit odd......but not as bad as last time I drove her. I'm suspecting it could be the tyres, as it feels better in the mornings (my morning commute is generally 5am), than it does in the evenings, when everything's baking hot. Maybe the Rainsport 3's just aren't up for ordinary worn crappy tarmac that's really hot.

My test route took in a long sweeping left on the exit of a village just down from mine. The corner is beautifully surfaced with some of that evil yellow supergrip stuff, and the car felt good around it, with none of the oversteer/understeer/oversteer random factor that I've been dealing with lately.

So, weather suddenly gets hot this week, coinciding with me screwing around under the car. It could just be a perfect storm of coincidence!

I'm gonna wait until it cools down a bit, and see if anything feels different. If it does, I'll be here asking for recommendations on really grippy tyres.........and sending my R3's to ebay at a 50% loss :/
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 28th May 2017, 19:27
Off-Road Nut!!!

Car: 2009 1.8 Type S GT
Garage
I have the Rainsport 3's on mine and have done around 1000 miles on them.
They were good from the start and now grip like **** on a blanket.
I would double check your alinement, seeing you have had the suspension apart. Also I have found they are sensitive to psi change.

Drove from the south coast up to Nottingham and back today. 400+ miles of town/back lanes and motorway (at speed if you know what I mean)
No tyre issues, they performed perfectly.

Last edited by 1066 Boy; 28th May 2017 at 19:36.
Thank You to 1066 Boy from 2 Users:
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 28th May 2017, 22:04 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Out of curiosity, what pressures are you running?
darrenjuggins likes this.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 28th May 2017, 22:18
Supporter

I also run these tyres and have Zero issues. great for grip and feel straight from fitting.

i run 33psi front 32rear.
Thanks to Spike85 from:
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 28th May 2017, 22:58
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
im on my 3rd set of uniroyals they are a bit soft but ive had no trouble with them and they lasted ok
thats why i replaced like for like
ive had dunlops contis cheapos and michelin's on and definatly prefer the rainsports 3's to all apart from maybe the michelins but the uniroyals are less than half the price and not much in it
ive done about 100k miles in my civic but mines a diesel which is harder on the fronts in normal driving conditions due to the heavy lump under the bonnet
Thanks to scaramanga from:
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 29th May 2017, 09:41
Off-Road Nut!!!

Car: 2009 1.8 Type S GT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Custard View Post
Out of curiosity, what pressures are you running?
30 psi all round on the Type S but on the Type R, I understand its
35 front / 32 rear on the standard 225/40/18 tyres.
Jegzzy likes this.

Last edited by 1066 Boy; 29th May 2017 at 10:20. Reason: spelling again!!
Thanks to 1066 Boy from:

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page