New Clutch Question - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By scottyr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 30th May 2017, 17:53 Thread Starter

New Clutch Question

Hi all,

I Have been a lurker of civinfo for a while, not posted very much - especially not for a while - I cant seem to log into my old account so set up a new one.

Just had a question relating to having a new clutch fitted to my 07 FN2 recently - Quite a broad question really, just cant see any answers relating to my question.

I had it fitted about a month ago, when it was first installed the clutch pedal was light as a feather (almost too light) struggled to drive the thing for the first 100 miles, the old clutch was super stiff.

I have just recently noticed even over the past few days having driven it quite a lot, that the clutch has become increasingly stiff again, albeit not as stiff as the old one but definitely has a lot more weight to it now.

I guess my question is.... is this normal? After the bedding in has been done? (done 550 miles in it since the new clutch has been fitted) been taking it fairly easy...not pullling away at more than 1500 - 2000 rpm etc..

I figured at the time, that the pedal was going to be as light as it was indefinitely, and I would need to adjust to it.

Do clutches as they start to wear in become stiffer etc? after starting off incredibly light? Also whilst pushing the clutch pedal now I can sort of feel, the only way to describe it is a spring like mechanism light sensation underfoot, I could not feel in the old clutch.

The clutch works great, no problems shifting etc.. First time I have had a new clutch in any car... So apologies if this seems to be an silly question.

Many thanks for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 30th May 2017, 18:06
Supporter

I had mine replaced last year and have experienced exactly the same. I would say it's fine. 👍

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
musegroove likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 30th May 2017, 19:18

Yeah completely normal

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 30th May 2017, 22:51
250bhp.... finally :)

Car: 08 CTR, Milano Red
Sounds normal mate, bunny hopped my way home last year after getting mine done as the pedal was super light.

Was back to normal the next day or so.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 31st May 2017, 12:22 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Many thanks for the replies! I was sure it was pretty normal... however as mentioned I have never had a new clutch put in any car - or had a car from new, so wasn't sure what to expect.

As mentioned I have done around 550 miles since the clutch was fitted - both a mixture of town + motorway miles. It should be pretty settled in by now, is there anyway to tell?

I don't normally drive the car toooo hard, but been finding it hard to resist putting my foot down a few times. Am I right in thinking It's ok to vtec away, as it is only really pulling away hard in first that could cause any real problems with a new clutch?

Obviously some poor shifting at high rpm could also cause issues?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 31st May 2017, 12:24 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by musegroove View Post
Sounds normal mate, bunny hopped my way home last year after getting mine done as the pedal was super light.
This was me too!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 31st May 2017, 13:23
250bhp.... finally :)

Car: 08 CTR, Milano Red
Should be fine after that mileage.

Gave mine a couple of tanks (400 miles) then resumed booting it. Actually settled well with the new flywheel after it had some heat go through it after a couple of harsh launches

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page