• 2 Post By musegroove
  • 2 Post By musegroove

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th September 2017, 10:19 Thread Starter
Enjoying life

Car: '06 Cosmic Grey EP3 prem CTR
Evo write up, 25 years of Type R

Thought some may be interested in this

What is Honda Type R? Greatest cars and 25-year history of Honda?s performance brand | Evo
MarcBK08 likes this.
Thanks to flashy from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th September 2017, 10:56
Clutch pedal guru

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th September 2017, 17:28

Car: 2007 CTR GT (FN2) Bronze
Garage
Thanks for sharing but sick of the fn2 backlash. For me it's an amazing motor

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
sonar usbl likes this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th September 2017, 19:00
Supporter

Car: 2009 ctr,milano
Garage
more ******** about the FN2 from useless journo`s...yes,its not perfect,but its got something about it that knuckle-draggers from the shallow end of the gene pool couldn`t feel even given 2000 years of evo-lution...might print that section off,running out of litter-tray liner...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th September 2017, 19:49
Supporter

Car: 2005 Cosmic Grey EP3
They aren't far off the mark with the fn2 in my opinion, it's not that it's a bad car it just doesn't cut it as standard when pressing on. They make a good base but they really need 250bhp a limited slip differential and suspension modifications to come alive.

I know it's not a popular opinion on here and I will no doubt get shot down for voicing it but in my experience it's true.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th September 2017, 21:10
Supporter

Car: 2009 ctr,milano
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBK08 View Post
They aren't far off the mark with the fn2 in my opinion, it's not that it's a bad car it just doesn't cut it as standard when pressing on. They make a good base but they really need 250bhp a limited slip differential and suspension modifications to come alive.

I know it's not a popular opinion on here and I will no doubt get shot down for voicing it but in my experience it's true.
Nobody should flame you for voicing your own opinion marc,its still(just) a free country,your view is as valid as the next man
MarcBK08 likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th September 2017, 21:56
A wizard is never late...

Car: 2008 Milano CTR
Garage
Quote:

i agree with everything you have said apart from the extra power, 200 is enough to keep up with a standard ep3/gti. but suspension is the weakest point, coilovers sort that right out though.
MarcBK08 likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th September 2017, 22:07
Supporter

Car: 2005 Cosmic Grey EP3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo-Nachoman View Post
i agree with everything you have said apart from the extra power, 200 is enough to keep up with a standard ep3/gti. but suspension is the weakest point, coilovers sort that right out though.
The engine and gearbox are on par with the ep3 but the fn2 definitely sounds better. They are definitely capable, I remember getting chased down by a Noble in my old one on some nice B roads and he felt no need to pass me.

Having been passenger in Staffs Deltics old car it certainly benefits from the engine modifications, not necessary to enjoy the car but it felt leaps ahead of my relatively standard example.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th September 2017, 22:16
A wizard is never late...

Car: 2008 Milano CTR
Garage
Quote:
The engine and gearbox are on par with the ep3 but the fn2 definitely sounds better. They are definitely capable, I remember getting chased down by a Noble in my old one on some nice B roads and he felt no need to pass me.

Having been passenger in Staffs Deltics old car it certainly benefits from the engine modifications, not necessary to enjoy the car but it felt leaps ahead of my relatively standard example.
exactly, more power wakes them up but is not essential when pushing hard on twisties if the suspension is upgraded and a diff.
Leejay-B likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th September 2017, 23:05
Supporter

Car: None
Garage
Preaching to the converted on here!

At the time the FN2 was released it was a variation or a side step for a Type R after the EP3. That was not a popular move when other hot hatches were upping the power outputs.

Even I was disappointed at first as an EP3 owner and fan.

But it did very well in some mag tests and sold well. I got older and now feel both UK CTRs are good options, especially if you are enthusiastic about high revs and the K20. Pros and cons for each, for me the FN2 is still involving enough which is why I and many on here chose it over easy tuning turbo cars.

As these car get rarer I'm sure it will be more appreciated.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 17th September 2017, 00:08
250bhp.... finally :)

Car: 08 CTR, Milano Red
Don't think the FN2 deserves the hate but they certainly feel bloated in standard form and the suspension, especially pre-LSD is laughable on our roads.

Slap the FD2 pump in and it feels and revs miles better, freeing the bottom and top end up.
Typersam1 and MarcBK08 like this.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 17th September 2017, 00:08 Thread Starter
Enjoying life
** Thread starter **

Car: '06 Cosmic Grey EP3 prem CTR
The engine was fine in the Fn2 and the steering was good, just difficult to get the power down on any road that wasn't flat.

Agree Muse about the balance shafts, going back to an ep3 again you can feel the difference in the engine.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 17th September 2017, 17:47
Clutch pedal guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by musegroove View Post
Don't think the FN2 deserves the hate but they certainly feel bloated in standard form and the suspension, especially pre-LSD is laughable on our roads.

Slap the FD2 pump in and it feels and revs miles better, freeing the bottom and top end up.
Doesn't this cause vibration issues though? More so than the EP3 engine as surely the crank was weighted with the balance shafts in mind???
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 17th September 2017, 18:17
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacivicnut View Post
Doesn't this cause vibration issues though? More so than the EP3 engine as surely the crank was weighted with the balance shafts in mind???
I dont think they changed the crank to match the changed oil pump (please correct me if im wrong)....but i do know once you have engine mount inserts and the fd2 pump things get a bit more on the vibrating side....bit once worn in it settles back down
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 17th September 2017, 18:32

Quote:
After about 1000 miles and everything's 'broken in' you honestly wouldn't tell the difference minus the ever so slight resonating at 3.7-4k rpm and the idle sound changes slightly. Sounds like a slight misfire / uneven header noise if you now what I mean but may be exhaust dependant.

When first fitting you honestly think "what the f*** have I done" but it's perfectly fine now.
I can definitely see it failing noise and vibration regulations around that 4k rpm but as far as a mod goes it's extremely tame for noise / harshness.

Last edited by musegroove; 17th September 2017 at 18:36.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 17th September 2017, 19:19
Clutch pedal guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typersam1 View Post
I dont think they changed the crank to match the changed oil pump (please correct me if im wrong)....but i do know once you have engine mount inserts and the fd2 pump things get a bit more on the vibrating side....bit once worn in it settles back down
Quote:
After about 1000 miles and everything's 'broken in' you honestly wouldn't tell the difference minus the ever so slight resonating at 3.7-4k rpm and the idle sound changes slightly. Sounds like a slight misfire / uneven header noise if you now what I mean but may be exhaust dependant.

When first fitting you honestly think "what the f*** have I done" but it's perfectly fine now.
I can definitely see it failing noise and vibration regulations around that 4k rpm but as far as a mod goes it's extremely tame for noise / harshness.
How can it settle in though? Surely once the balance shafts are removed the vibes will continue and not just disappear? Genuinely interested in this BTW and not just trolling.

Would be interesting to know all the EP3/FN2 block differences.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 17th September 2017, 19:46

Quote:
How can it settle in though? Surely once the balance shafts are removed the vibes will continue and not just disappear? Genuinely interested in this BTW and not just trolling.

Would be interesting to know all the EP3/FN2 block differences.
I thought the exact same mate, TDi did their usual "take it for a spin and see if you're happy" once the work was complete. I nipped round the estate and after Paul saw my reaction he told me not to worry as it'll settle a LOT.

It wasn't really vibrations or noise per se but resonating and the whole car buzzing, mainly from the sump area, you could hear it in the footwell. I took his word for it apprehensively and it took quite a while but it slowly settled.

My uneducated guess would be that it's not the unbalance of the crank that causes the initial vibrations but moreso the pump settling in on the bolts, clearances and engine mounts settling etc.
hondacivicnut and Typersam1 like this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 18th September 2017, 19:05
Clutch pedal guru

Quote:
I thought the exact same mate, TDi did their usual "take it for a spin and see if you're happy" once the work was complete. I nipped round the estate and after Paul saw my reaction he told me not to worry as it'll settle a LOT.

It wasn't really vibrations or noise per se but resonating and the whole car buzzing, mainly from the sump area, you could hear it in the footwell. I took his word for it apprehensively and it took quite a while but it slowly settled.

My uneducated guess would be that it's not the unbalance of the crank that causes the initial vibrations but moreso the pump settling in on the bolts, clearances and engine mounts settling etc.
Well done a bit more digging. EP3/FN2 share the same pistons/rods/crank/crank pulley/oil chain drive sprocket. So I see nothing wrong with removing the parasitic oil pump.

Crank part number is 13310 PRB A00
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 18th September 2017, 20:56

Quote:
Well done a bit more digging. EP3/FN2 share the same pistons/rods/crank/crank pulley/oil chain drive sprocket. So I see nothing wrong with removing the parasitic oil pump.

Crank part number is 13310 PRB A00
Good to know, likely fitted the balancer shafts to keep the dash from rattling so much then
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 18th September 2017, 21:43
Clutch pedal guru

Quote:
Good to know, likely fitted the balancer shafts to keep the dash from rattling so much then
Only thing I can think of it's the chain bedding in that's causing the vibes if you say is, it gets better. The setup is the same as EP3 with the oil pump/balancer swapped and you don't hear EP3 owners whining about vibration.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page