Light flashing next to Petrol Gauge when vtec is on - Civinfo
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Grayfox
  • 1 Post By Haltamer
  • 1 Post By CRXtoFN2

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 30th September 2017, 20:26 Thread Starter

Light flashing next to Petrol Gauge when vtec is on

Hi guys, i just noticed this today. My car went in for an MOT last week and it passed, now when i got it back i didnt really notice anything different. However today i got in and my electric dash, where you see the date/time/aircon info etc was a bit messed upp, after a while it went back to normal. So im driving along today and i saw a nice empty road so i thought why not and started reving and got the vtec going. Everything looked and sounded normal however there was this little light on the right of the petrol gauge that started flashing. It didnt come on solid just very briefly flashed whilst the vtec was on. I wasnt sure but i couldnt make out what the symbol was or what it said. I just did it again and the same thing. As soon as i get into vtec rev zones this little light starts flashing on and off.

Can anyone tell me what this light is, what it means and why its happening. Also if its a serious problem shouldnt it just come on and stay on? Could this just be an error in the power circuitry or somerthing for my dashboard display panel? No other lights or warning lights are on.

Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st October 2017, 00:46

Car: 2008 CTR, milano red
Garage
Do you talk about a FN2?

Then you must talk about the upper right side of the petrol gauge.

This is the VSA light. (Yellow)

-IF VSA is turned ON it only strats flashing up if your wheels are about to spin / or still spin. The VSA regulates/stops the wheelspin.
VSA light comes on --> VSA handles the acceleration problem so to say.

-IF the VSA is turned OFF it is constantly present. Via a triangle with an axclamation mark in the middle.

Hitting the boiling point, both the triangle and the letters VSA show up.

There must be heavy traffic all day long recognising it the first time yet...

Have you change the position of the seat or the steering wheel? Sometimes it gets covered by the steering wheel.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st October 2017, 00:51

Garage
...I also would like to read another reply on this problem!

Do we talk about the same 'little light'?!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st October 2017, 09:40 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi Yes, sorry that is what i'm talking about. So its normal for this to come on then? I mean ive been vtecing it up foir quite a while and never noticed this before. Also why are my wheels spinning, could it have been cos the road was wet? Its weird because my VSA is on, im guessing the seet or steering wheel would have been moved during the MOT.

hmmm bit confused...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st October 2017, 13:49
Super Moderator

Car: '11 Impreza R Special
Thanked 1,011 Times in 891 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdejong0 View Post
Hi Yes, sorry that is what i'm talking about. So its normal for this to come on then? I mean ive been vtecing it up foir quite a while and never noticed this before. Also why are my wheels spinning, could it have been cos the road was wet? Its weird because my VSA is on, im guessing the seet or steering wheel would have been moved during the MOT.

hmmm bit confused...
The light looks like this

It will flash when your wheels are breaking traction, either due to understeer, oversteer, excessive acceleration, driving on snow with summer tires, ect.

It will flash during this.

As the roads were wet, you have less grip even if the tires costs $300 each wet roads have a lower Mu compared to dry so breaking traction is much easier.

Another thing to consider is road condition.
A crap road will make it easier for you to break traction.

Seeing as you passed inspection I take it your tires are good, but are they cheap eco tires or good tires like bridgestone RE002?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index.jpg (5.0 KB, 111 views)
CRXtoFN2 likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st October 2017, 17:40

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdejong0 View Post

hmmm bit confused...
Wet roads of course. And its not very difficult to let this light flash up on dry roads... even in 2nd. Or in 3rd when cornering around the streets.
If you say, the steering wheel and seat may have been moved, so let it be. Maybe your setting was hiding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
The light looks like this

It will flash when your wheels are breaking traction, either due to understeer, oversteer, excessive acceleration, driving on snow with summer tires, ect.

It will flash during this.

As the roads were wet, you have less grip even if the tires costs $300 each wet roads have a lower Mu compared to dry so breaking traction is much easier.

Another thing to consider is road condition.
A crap road will make it easier for you to break traction.

Seeing as you passed inspection I take it your tires are good, but are they cheap eco tires or good tires like bridgestone RE002?
c'mon Grayfox, Hankook and Toyo also have good tires.

Bridgy RE002, Hankook and Toyos are all in the same price category. If I look up the 225-18'' ones.

Good write-up
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st October 2017, 19:27
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXtoFN2 View Post
Wet roads of course. And its not very difficult to let this light flash up on dry roads... even in 2nd. Or in 3rd when cornering around the streets.
Hooning much?
Sounds like you would be having more fun with the VSA / Traction control disabled

With the dealer fitted Yokohama V105s, (225/45 R17) the only time I've managed to get a VSA light was "Launching" in a wet car park, with smooth concrete floor.
1.4 problems
CRXtoFN2 likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 1st October 2017, 21:52

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haltamer View Post
Hooning much?
Sounds like you would be having more fun with the VSA / Traction control disabled

With the dealer fitted Yokohama V105s, (225/45 R17) the only time I've managed to get a VSA light was "Launching" in a wet car park, with smooth concrete floor.
1.4 problems
Hooning...ehhh...
well okay that was too much from my point... honestly. (Michel Vaillant-Beyond Control)

You really have to remember me about an aftermarket LSD?! heh

I think even a 1.4L is able to break the laws of traction. Both in dry and wet conditions.
Haltamer likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th October 2017, 00:25
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXtoFN2 View Post
I think even a 1.4L is able to break the laws of traction. Both in dry and wet conditions.
Upon further testing, I can now confirm this
Personally, I blame the car park floor

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page