• 3 Post By stargazer30
  • 1 Post By stargazer30
  • 1 Post By hondacivicnut
  • 1 Post By cquinn88

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th October 2017, 13:23 Thread Starter
Supporter

Thumbs up Traded My FN2 in! Gone to a Fez ST

Well my much loved FN2 Type R is gone. I fancied a change and I don't need the space anymore now the missus is not on shift we have the Qashqai at the weekends.

New car is Fiesta ST mk7 Mountune 215bhp. Early days yet but I'm liking it so far. Mini comparison.

Performance: Slightly faster than the FN2 (mine had flashpro) but surprisingly not by much. The fiestas are torque limited in 1st and 2nd (even with the Mountune stage 1 kit) so you don't get its full power until 3rd and even then the 215bhp is only available on over boost so its got to be full throttle.

Handling: The jury is out still. My FN2 had FRS and Rainsport 3s. The Fez has good rubber but all four corners are near/on the replace markers. It has a trick electric diff that does seems to keep it honest in the corners though.

Noise: CTR win. Poor fez had its fake noise/symposer box removed by the previous owner so it sounds crap. Worse than the FN2 when you take the lower resonator off! Will need to fix that.

Economy: No contest 22mpg vs 32 for the Fez. Once of the reasons I bought it.

Looks: Would have been the Fez if it didn't have the stupid fish mouth grill. Other than that looks nice.

Right... I better get the for sale thread written then eh, got a flashpro, headunit, facia, Honda premium mats to sell now......
SilverCider, Farqui and Danith like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th October 2017, 13:43
Supporter

Car: None
Garage
Decent car to change to - one of the best all round smaller hot hatches. Size and profile similar to EP3, and it is lighter.

I would expect Mountune to only be slightly faster, I think they claim 6.4 to 60mph and if your car has Flashrpo as well, did you run group N map or custom?

Limited 1st and 2nd hampers those two gears, annoying, but custom mapping is an option one day I suppose.

Handling very good for Fiesta, likely better than OEM EP3/FN2, but it is a lighter more modern car. But on the road this difference is small and IMO hard to make use of anyway. I didn't know the Fiesta had an E diff though! Is it any good compared to a full mechanical LSD?

I test drove Fiesta ST a long time ago, agree it didn't sound good and that was with the sound symposer. Really needs exhaust and or intake to wake it up. Mountune airbox probably doesn't sound any different. Maybe put symposer back in?

I like the fiesta and down a b road the small size helps the fun element a lot. I even like the fish mouth grill.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th October 2017, 13:47
Supporter

Garage
PS. you mention removing lower resonator from OEM FN2 air feed, do you mean this sounded poor compared to OEM? I was planning to change the air feed on my FN2 and maybe add Tegiwa airbox, but I don't want a worse sound either.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th October 2017, 13:49
K20 addict

Car: 2010 Fn2 & 2003 Ep3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer30 View Post
Well my much loved FN2 Type R is gone. I fancied a change and I don't need the space anymore now the missus is not on shift we have the Qashqai at the weekends.

New car is Fiesta ST mk7 Mountune 215bhp. Early days yet but I'm liking it so far. Mini comparison.

Performance: Slightly faster than the FN2 (mine had flashpro) but surprisingly not by much. The fiestas are torque limited in 1st and 2nd (even with the Mountune stage 1 kit) so you don't get its full power until 3rd and even then the 215bhp is only available on over boost so its got to be full throttle.

Handling: The jury is out still. My FN2 had FRS and Rainsport 3s. The Fez has good rubber but all four corners are near/on the replace markers. It has a trick electric diff that does seems to keep it honest in the corners though.

Noise: CTR win. Poor fez had its fake noise/symposer box removed by the previous owner so it sounds crap. Worse than the FN2 when you take the lower resonator off! Will need to fix that.

Economy: No contest 22mpg vs 32 for the Fez. Once of the reasons I bought it.

Looks: Would have been the Fez if it didn't have the stupid fish mouth grill. Other than that looks nice.

Right... I better get the for sale thread written then eh, got a flashpro, headunit, facia, Honda premium mats to sell now......

I really like them. Properly fun little cars.

Only things that don't appeal to me are, that they're turbo (which cars aren't though nowadays unfortunately), they get nicked and they're a fiesta (small and owned a lot by kids). these are no reflection on the car though really, I wish my wife would get one or something similar!! Brilliant little motors. And I actually really like the open grille 'fish mouth' thing.

Enjoy!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th October 2017, 14:11 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leejay-B View Post
PS. you mention removing lower resonator from OEM FN2 air feed, do you mean this sounded poor compared to OEM? I was planning to change the air feed on my FN2 and maybe add Tegiwa airbox, but I don't want a worse sound either.

Yes I have observed this on both my type Rs, as have others. The lower resonator is designed to amplify the sound on the high cam. It helps create the low down/growly note you get. If you take it out (ie tegiwa or the like) you will find the change in engine note when it changes to the high cam is very subtle hardly noticeable. PS if you want noise get an HKS RSK, you'll know it when you hit vtec (as will everyone else lol) with one of those!

*EDIT* Yeah my FN2 was mapped by vit viper. Took forever but the end result was a silky smooth power delivery, a little more mid range torque and on the e-dyno it showed about + 5bhp top end over stock.
Danith likes this.

Last edited by stargazer30; 18th October 2017 at 14:15.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th October 2017, 17:15
250bhp.... finally :)

Car: 08 CTR, Milano Red
They're alright to be honest. Not a fan of the gearing on the standard ones but think the ST has shorter six speed doesn't it? Helps get to that 60mph figure quicker as it can be hit in second on my missus' whereas it's three gears on a "stock" FN2.

Probably what I'd have as a daily if I went petrol.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th October 2017, 18:08
Enjoying life

Car: '06 Cosmic Grey EP3 prem CTR
Your FN2 diesel Muse?
Never been near the fezzer ST, probably won't any time soon. Seems to tick plenty of boxes.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 18th October 2017, 19:51
250bhp.... finally :)

Car: 08 CTR, Milano Red
Meant it's not so much my daily anymore flashy. I'm looking for a derv daily but if I was to go petrol it would likely be a fez ST. If I had a focus I'd only end up breaking / tuning it too
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 19th October 2017, 19:20
Clutch pedal guru

22mpg for the FN2! What kind of driving is that?
Danith likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 19th October 2017, 21:47 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacivicnut View Post
22mpg for the FN2! What kind of driving is that?

Short start stop journeys. Kids taxi service etc... I didn't VTEC it everywhere either. I get anything between 22 and 24. Still better than the focus ST 2.5L I used to have that never saw 22mpg, used to average 19mpg!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 19th October 2017, 21:51
Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Yes I have observed this on both my type Rs, as have others. The lower resonator is designed to amplify the sound on the high cam. It helps create the low down/growly note you get. If you take it out (ie tegiwa or the like) you will find the change in engine note when it changes to the high cam is very subtle hardly noticeable. PS if you want noise get an HKS RSK, you'll know it when you hit vtec (as will everyone else lol) with one of those!

*EDIT* Yeah my FN2 was mapped by vit viper. Took forever but the end result was a silky smooth power delivery, a little more mid range torque and on the e-dyno it showed about + 5bhp top end over stock.
Cheers!

Had HKS intake on my last FN2, wanna try boxed system this time.

I def need custom map, I think group N does give mid range, but no top end gains.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 20th October 2017, 19:20
Clutch pedal guru

Quote:
Short start stop journeys. Kids taxi service etc... I didn't VTEC it everywhere either. I get anything between 22 and 24. Still better than the focus ST 2.5L I used to have that never saw 22mpg, used to average 19mpg!
Ahh good, I'd be near 35mpg with my driving then.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 22nd October 2017, 19:17

Car: 2009 CTR CW
I had a CWE with flashpro and HKS RSK, and a few years later treated myself to a new Fiesta ST3, with a Collins stage 2 remap within 2 months. I must admit i felt as though pace wise they were even, but handling wise had more faith in the FN2. Felt so much more planted....and rewarding
OsakaJ likes this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 22nd October 2017, 20:41 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquinn88 View Post
I had a CWE with flashpro and HKS RSK, and a few years later treated myself to a new Fiesta ST3, with a Collins stage 2 remap within 2 months. I must admit i felt as though pace wise they were even, but handling wise had more faith in the FN2. Felt so much more planted....and rewarding

Yeah I do have some regrets. I'd say the FN2 is quicker in 1st and 2nd due to the limiters on 1st and 2nd on the fez. Come 3rd and above the Fez is noticeably quicker up to legal ish speeds at least. I am considering getting the Colin's map to relax the limiter on 1st and 2nd.

Handling is a tough one. I get what you mean the FN2 feels more planted, I think the Fez is meant to feel more old school hot hatch and the back end is a bit twitchy by design. Ford reversed that on the later fiestas with revised suspension and a stiffer anti roll bar. But the fez will corner faster than my old FN2. I've tested it on a set of my favourite roads. My FN2 had no dif but it did have FRS. I think the torque vectoring on the fez gives it the edge here. The FN2 has more feedback though, you could feel it starting to break loose, the fez is a bit more numb.

The bit I really miss is the super smooth power delivery on the FN2. Mine was mapped by vit viper so it was a joy to drive. The Fez is a turbo so it has the elastic throttle effect that all turbo's have so its just not the same.

So in summary better in some ways, worse in others. I bought it to bring my running costs down and its done that though.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th November 2017, 18:54

Car: 2007 CTR GT (FN2) Bronze
Garage
Enjoy!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th November 2017, 20:56
Supporter

Garage
First, happy new car.
On the 1st & 2nd gear limiter, Suzuki did/does this on their motorbikes. I used to combat this my fitting a TRE (timing retard eliminator) device that just plugs in and fooled the ecu to thinking it was in 3rd gear and unlimited it. May be worth looking to see if there is a plug and play similar for cars. (Probably could a re-map lol).

Have fun.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 14th November 2017, 10:21 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Well liking the Fez much more now. Got the CP2 map on it. 1st and 2nd now sorted, its a little pocket rocket now! Handling was sorted by putting 4 new Uniroyal rainsports on it, same as I had on the FN2. Feels much more planted now. I think the mixed brands and perished bridgestone it had on the rear plus the cold was the cause of the tail happy back end.

Only job left to do is sort out the in car audio. You can't really change the HU on these cars as its build into the car control systems and the stock HU is not powerful enough to drive aftermarket speakers well. Really don't want to use line convertors and amp to drive aftermarket fronts, messy solution. I'm considering an active under seat sub to try and beef it up a bit instead.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page