Oil Filter - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By musegroove

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2018, 12:23 Thread Starter

Oil Filter

Went to do a wee oil change on my fn2 yesterday thinking it would be straight forward...I was wrong. My oil filter is stuck solid and there's no room at all. I've had a look at some wrenches but I'm not sure which one would be any good for this...what do you guys suggest? I was tempted to put a screwdriver through it but to be honest I don't want oil everywhere if I can avoid it. Ideally I want one I can pick up from europarts or the like today.

Any tips would be great...if anyone is going to know I figured it would you guys

Thanks

Last edited by jamie_85; 23rd March 2018 at 12:29.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2018, 12:29
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_85 View Post
Went to do a wee oil change on my fn2 yesterday thinking it would be straight forward...I was wrong. My oil filter is stuck solid and there's no room at all. I've had a look at some wrenches but I'm not sure which one would be any good for this...what do you guys suggest? I was tempted to put a screwdriver through it but to be honest I don't want oil everywhere if I can avoid it. Ideally I want one I can pick up from europarts or the like today.

Any tips would be great...if anyone is was going to know I figured it would you guys

Thanks

Don’t know about picking it up today as I don’t know where you are but I got an oil filter removal tool from cox. Costs 8 quid and is basically like a big socket that goes over it. I got it delivered and was with me the next day. If you go on their website and even see what it is, print it off or whatever and go to motor shops and ask for “one of these”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2018, 12:38 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the help mate...much appreciated. I'm putting car on the track on Sunday though and want oil changed for it so don't want to risk it not arriving on time. I've tried Honda dealers as well and they don't sell them.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2018, 13:21
250bhp.... finally :)

Car: 08 CTR, Milano Red
Chuck a screwdriver through it, you're highly likely to get oil all over the driveshaft anyway as it's a PITA regardless
Trev27 likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2018, 14:14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_85 View Post
Thanks for the help mate...much appreciated. I'm putting car on the track on Sunday though and want oil changed for it so don't want to risk it not arriving on time. I've tried Honda dealers as well and they don't sell them.
Was going to say the same, it doesnt really matter if you use a screwdriver or not as because its positioned at the back of the engine, you'll always leak some amount of oil all over your arm and down the back of the engine and all over the drive shaft!

You can buy a Honda oil filter wrench, that'll go over the end and then you can use a breaker bar at the end of some extension bars and joints to give you the leverage to remove the filter.

Cox Motor 2.2l Diesel oil filter wrench

But a quick ebay search will find you what you want, they're not overly expensive either.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2018, 14:36
Supporter

Car: 2015 CTR FK2
Garage
not an FN2 owner, but I have worked on a lot of cars in my past and i use the webbing/chain tools. The tighter the filter the more they grip and truly universal for any car you may use in the future.
i use the square drive ones like https://www.clarketooling.co.uk/tool...in_WrenchL.jpg or https://www.toptul.com/comm/upimage/p_161019_05707.jpg.
not sure if ECP sell those style, but there must be a halfords, Partco or some other motor factor local you can get to.

edit: ecp do sell: https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/t...93960&0&t5_444

Last edited by veehexx; 23rd March 2018 at 14:43.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2018, 15:22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by veehexx View Post
not an FN2 owner, but I have worked on a lot of cars in my past and i use the webbing/chain tools. The tighter the filter the more they grip and truly universal for any car you may use in the future.
i use the square drive ones like https://www.clarketooling.co.uk/tool...in_WrenchL.jpg or https://www.toptul.com/comm/upimage/p_161019_05707.jpg.
not sure if ECP sell those style, but there must be a halfords, Partco or some other motor factor local you can get to.

edit: ecp do sell: https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/t...93960&0&t5_444
+1 on the chain tool, between me and my brother we have a selection of around 5 or 6 different types of oil filter wrench and besides the official ones, the chain tool remains the best.

Civinfo > Civic Type R > Type-R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page